The Student Room Group

Medicine back ups.

So, just had my third rejection to study medicine. One left and I can't sit and wait for a fourth rejection. I'm gutted.

It's my second year of applying. Got an offer from KCL last year but missed my grades A*AB due to extenuating circumstances.

I just don't know what to do :frown: I can't wait another year; it's just being unrealistic. Should I try to go in for postgrad medicine? Should I just do another course? I'm so confused at the moment. Would be so grateful if anybody with previous experience could offer me any advice? Thanks a lot.
Reply 1
What grades have you applied with?

If your grades aren't high enough then yeah, graduate entry is really the only option.
Original post by Democracy
What grades have you applied with?

If your grades aren't high enough then yeah, graduate entry is really the only option.

I applied with A*AB. I had lots of extenuating circumstances over my A2s so ive just retaken my B :/
Reply 3
Original post by EllaBella<3
I applied with A*AB. I had lots of extenuating circumstances over my A2s so ive just retaken my B :/

I'd see how it goes - if you get an A then it's worth reapplying with A*AA (especially if you have extenuating circumstances), but if not then I'd start looking at alternative degrees and graduate entry medicine...A*AB is an amazing set of grades but very few med schools will accept it TTBOMK.
Reply 4
Original post by EllaBella<3
So, just had my third rejection to study medicine. One left and I can't sit and wait for a fourth rejection. I'm gutted.

It's my second year of applying. Got an offer from KCL last year but missed my grades A*AB due to extenuating circumstances.

I just don't know what to do :frown: I can't wait another year; it's just being unrealistic. Should I try to go in for postgrad medicine? Should I just do another course? I'm so confused at the moment. Would be so grateful if anybody with previous experience could offer me any advice? Thanks a lot.

I'D say better than studying as a post graduate study abroad where it's cheaper and a better oppurtunty
Reply 5
Original post by mcmuzzi98
I'D say better than studying as a post graduate study abroad where it's cheaper and a better oppurtunty

:eyeball:
Reply 6
Study Abroad as a lot of people know study abroad as there is a better oppurtuinty .also the fees are way much cheaper
Study Abroad as a lot of people know study abroad as there is a better oppurtuinty .also the fees are way much cheaper

Can you give examples? As far as I know it's basically the exact opposite..
Reply 8
Charles university prague??? apparently they teach the medicine course in english also entry requirements are considerably lower so good luck :smile:
Reply 9

Repeating it doesn't suddenly make it true you know :wink:

Original post by UsmanTahir
Charles university prague??? apparently they teach the medicine course in english also entry requirements are considerably lower so good luck :smile:

€13,000 a year fees - and no student loan from the government
Having to learn Czech - and being kicked out if you're not of a good standard by clinical years

Now you tell me, how is this a "better oppurtuinty" or "way much cheaper"?
Reply 10
Repeating it doesn't suddenly make it true you know :wink:

€13,000 a year fees - and no student loan from the government
Having to learn Czech - and being kicked out if you're not of a good standard by clinical years

Now you tell me, how is this a "better oppurtuinty" or "way much cheaper"?

Check out UMST
Check out UMST

Med school in the Sudan? Yeah, that's a smart move :rolleyes:
Reply 12
Med school in the Sudan? Yeah, that's a smart move :rolleyes:

YH why not?
Reply 13
YH why not?

http://gyazo.com/ad1ecb1f5ff8a38957d018fb10abeaf9

What's the deal with that
Thanks for all suggestions guys. I've stopped crying thus become more rational. :lol: I will wait to hear from BSMS but i've added a fifth choice on my UCAS application to study Oncology and Immunology at The University of Bristol. :smile:
Reply 15

what do you mean??
Reply 16
You would be better off applying to EU medical schools that offer English programs. When I went through UCAS I applied to a few medical school in the eastern European countries. I received most offers but chose to stay in the UK. Even though fees are about 10k~ and you don't receive a student loan, you will be much better off financially (fees+life etc). You will just take a student loan from a bank (yes that does exist) or force your parents to do overtime (that works too).

Your grades will be enough to be accepted and you can add your personal statement as a bonus to your application. You will have quite good chances to get a spot.

Its true that medical schools in these countries are hard to pass and I have heard of 20-30% of people being de-registered after first year. That just means that while they will give you a chance to study medicine it doesn't mean it will be easy. They work as hard as we do.

Some people are concerned with employ-ability when they graduate from eastern European medical schools. Whilst you will get the FY2 post I'm not sure about training posts. But then there are a lot of foreign trainees and consultants in the country anyway.
Who knows, maybe you meet a hot wife and love the country so you decide to the training over there.:nt:
Think seriously about Medical Sciences instead.
Example ...... Bristol http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cellmolmed/study/undergraduate/degrees/

Its quicker (and cheaper) to get qualified. And GPs dont win Nobel prizes, medical scientists DO.

There will still be places in Extra which opens next Wednesday (25 Feb) : https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/files/extra-applicant-faqs.pdf

Latest

Trending

Trending