Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Who invents them or where do they come from?! I think they're ace, they can really brighten up your day sometimes!

ReputationRep:
    Ehmm, i dont think ne one knows....
    mayb d

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpAnIsH_fLy)
    Ehmm, i dont think ne one knows....
    mayb d
    i type one in every time, takes ages but i'm glad you enjoy them

or apperently...on linux (redhat) you run /usr/games/fortune and you get a quote from one of the supplied databases. So, in PHP you can just pipe the output into the ukl webpage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    i type one in every time, takes ages but i'm glad you enjoy them

or...on linux (redhat) you run /usr/games/fortune and you get a quote from one of the supplied databases. So, in PHP you can just pipe the output into the ukl webpage.
    wow amazing, how many are there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fred86)
    Who invents them or where do they come from?! I think they're ace, they can really brighten up your day sometimes!
    i think so too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    wow amazing, how many are there?
    lots and lots i believe

ReputationRep:
    That's specific to Red Hat?!

ReputationRep:
    One of the more intriguing quotes I just got:

methionylglutaminylarginyltyrosy lglutamylserylleucylphenylalanyl alanylglutamin-
    ylleucyllysylglutamylarginyllysy lglutamylglycylalanylphenylalany lvalylprolyl-
    phenylalanylvalylthreonylleucylg lycylaspartylprolylglycylisoleuc ylglutamylglu-
    taminylserylleucyllysylisoleucyl aspartylthreonylleucylisoleucylg lutamylalanyl-
    glycylalanylaspartylalanylleucyl glutamylleucylglycylisoleucylpro lylphenylala-
    nylserylaspartylprolylleucylalan ylaspartylglycylprolylthreonylis oleucylgluta-
    minylasparaginylalanylthreonylle ucylarginylalanylphenylalanylala nylalanylgly-
    cylvalylthreonylprolylalanylglut aminylcysteinylphenylalanylgluta mylmethionyl-
    leucylalanylleucylisoleucylargin ylglutaminyllysylhistidylprolylt hreonylisoleu-
    cylprolylisoleucylglycylleucylle ucylmethionyltyrosylalanylaspara ginylleucylva-
    lylphenylalanylasparaginyllysylg lycylisoleucylaspartylglutamylph enylalanyltyro-
    sylalanylglutaminylcysteinylglut amyllysylvalylglycylvalylasparty lserylvalylleu-
    cylvalylalanylaspartylvalylproly lvalylglutaminylglutamylserylala nylprolylphe-
    nylalanylarginylglutaminylalanyl alanylleucylarginylhistidylaspar aginylvalylala-
    nylprolylisoleucylphenylalanylis oleucylcysteinylprolylprolylaspa rtylalanylas-
    partylaspartylaspartylleucylleuc ylarginylglutaminylisoleucylalan ylseryltyrosyl-
    glycylarginylglycyltyrosylthreon yltyrosylleucylleucylserylarginy lalanylglycyl-
    valylthreonylglycylalanylglutamy lasparaginylarginylalanylalanyll eucylprolylleu-
    cylasparaginylhistidylleucylvaly lalanyllysylleucyllysylglutamylt yrosylasparagi-
    nylalanylalanylprolylprolylleucy lglutaminylglycylphenylalanylgly cylisoleucylse-
    rylalanylprolylaspartylglutaminy lvalyllysylalanylalanylisoleucyl aspartylalanyl-
    glycylalanylalanylglycylalanylis oleucylserylglycylserylalanyliso leucylvalylly-
    sylisoleucylisoleucylglutamylglu taminylhistidylasparaginylisoleu cylglutamylpro-
    lylglutamyllysylmethionylleucyla lanylalanylleucyllysylvalylpheny lalanylvalyl-
    glutaminylprolylmethionyllysylal anylalanylthreonylarginylserine, n.:
    The chemical name for tryptophan synthetase A protein, a
    1,913-letter enzyme with 267 amino acids.
    -- Mrs. Byrne's Dictionary of Unusual, Obscure, and
    Preposterous Words

ReputationRep:
    Why not just call it tryptophan synthetase A protein?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alec)
    One of the more intriguing quotes I just got:
    thats one long thing, but isnt the longest non-chemical word

PNEUMONO* ULTRA* MICRO* SCOPIC* SILICO* VOLCANO* CONIOSIS ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Why not just call it tryptophan synthetase A protein?
    Where would we be if we didn't know what the sequence of amino acids was in tryptophan synthetase A?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    That's specific to Red Hat?!
    Nope. Fortune is not just specific to Red Hat, I think it appears on many *nix systems. If you have it, try running 'fortune -m Einstein' or 'fortune -m Linus' for example to get all of the quotes made by (or referring to) Einstein or Linus Torvalds, it's quite fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahaydenuk)
    Nope. Fortune is not just specific to Red Hat, I think it appears on many *nix systems. If you have it, try running 'fortune -m Einstein' or 'fortune -m Linus' for example to get all of the quotes made by (or referring to) Einstein or Linus Torvalds, it's quite fun!
    sometimes the quotes are really cool....but i've started to see them repeated...?

i like the one that says keep grandma off the streets, support bingo!

ReputationRep:
    The good thing about them is they refresh even when "the server is busy" so you can still keep entertained!

Except half of them are rubbish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    The good thing about them is they refresh even when "the server is busy" so you can still keep entertained!

"A radioactive cat has eighteen half-lives" is good, lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)

i love your avatar!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    thats one long thing, but isnt the longest non-chemical word

PNEUMONO* ULTRA* MICRO* SCOPIC* SILICO* VOLCANO* CONIOSIS ?
    or is it spelt Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovo lcanokoniosis

ReputationRep:
    They're great.

I've even started a word document with some of the funniest (sad but true :rolleyes: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahaydenuk)
    Ah cool, thanx Rich.

(Original post by winorloose)
    They're great.

I've even started a word document with some of the funniest (sad but true :rolleyes: )
    And me, so you're not alone

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.