So, I've been reported for driving through a puddle which splashed someone

Watch this thread
Iron Lady
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I was driving quickly this morning as I was running late, there were puddles from the overnight rain showers.

There were two big puddles, which I tried to avoid so a pedestrian would not be hit. Unfortunately (especially for me now) I accidently drove through one which hit a woman in her 40s - in business attire.

I promptly apologised, but she said she's got my details and is going to report me to the "appropriate authorities".

How much trouble will I get in for this?

Thanks in advance.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Iron Lady)
I was driving quickly this morning as I was running late, there were puddles from the overnight rain showers.

There were two big puddles, which I tried to avoid so a pedestrian would not be hit. Unfortunately (especially for me now) I accidently drove through one which hit a woman in her 40s - in business attire.

I promptly apologised, but she said she's got my details and is going to report me to the "appropriate authorities".

Thanks in advance.
The sensible course of action to follow if you do this is to stop, apologise as profusely as you possibly can, offer the unfortunate victim a lift home and give them the money for their dry-cleaning bill, possibly following up with a bunch of flowers.

Driving without due consideration for others is on a par with careless driving and likely to attract a fine and three points if you are found guilty.
yas_1729
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Na mate all you gotta say is that it was unavoidable due to busy traffic and absolutely necessary it happened to me and my brother whose a lawyer said that and I got compensation as well so )))

Posted from TSR Mobile
whyumadtho
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 9 years ago

Thanks in advance.
There is information here.

The CPS website considers "driving through a puddle causing pedestrians to be splashed" to be a breach of this Act.
Iron Lady
Rep:
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Thanks to everyone who has responded, I offered the woman a lift but she refused. I just have to wait and see what happens now. I will post any news.
Dr Pesto
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Slightly pathetic if she does report you, it's a bit of water.
JC.
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
It never happened.
Michaelj
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Deny everything unless there's solid proof. Unless you wanna be the goodie and get a possible fine and a driving offence.
fuzznbass
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Don't worry- she might have been an investment banker
officelinebacker
Rep:
Report 9 years ago

Thanks in advance.
You can actually be charged for that.

The offence is "careless, and inconsiderate, driving" and can carry a fine of up to £2,500.

Obviously you are very unlikely to be charged for this, unless the woman has witnesses who say that you deliberately did what you did.

However, in future, if you can't avoid driving through a puddle while alongside a pedestrian then slow right down so you don't splash them. How would you feel if you were walking to work and got soaked from head to toe by some inconsiderate ******** in a car?
Palindromic
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by MagicNMedicine)
This shows the shocking lack of respect which Labour and the leftists have created in the UK, where people don't have the common courtesy not to drive through puddles and soak a pedestrian especially an older woman in business attire.

Mrs Thatcher tried to leave us a society where people respected each other especially older people who were dressed up trying to make their journey to their lawful place of work and then you get idiots behaving like this chav.

No doubt he will just get a ticking off or a warning because you can't punish anybody in our PC leftist society, they might get offended.
ridiculous post. firstly she isnt elderly... well i wouldnt call 40 elferly, my mums in her 40s and she would kill me if i called her elderly! :laugh:

the sad state of our country is that people always want compensation or someone to blame for small little accidents! everyone has driven through a puddle at some point, and you dont always notice someone is there or that the puddle is that deep in time before you can react. maybe another car was in the opposing lane so swerving wasnt possible, how do you know. To make an assumption that our society is broken because a man drove through a puddle is ignorant and unfair, especially when you try and bring your political opinions in which are irrelevant to this.
officelinebacker
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Dr Pesto)
How would you feel if you were walking to work and some ******* in a car soaked you from head to toe with filthy water?
Michaelj
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ice Constricter)
Good, serves you right if I'm being honest. The other day I was splashed by a white van man ****. Normally as a pedestrain I'm very aware of my surroundings unlike most people. But that day I had a lot on my mind, so I didn't notice the massive pudddle next to the kerb, normally I'd have walked as far away from it as possible. Anyway, as I was walking along, said van driver speeds along (must have been doing at least 35 in a 20 zone) and SPLAAAAAAASH all my clothes are soaked. You don't know how mad I was that day. ****in **** of a van driver. If I was able to have caught up with said van driver, I wouldn't have been responsible for my actions.

And before you say it, yes I drive as well so I can see both sides of the coin. You just have to pay attention to avoid **** like this.
She didn't do it on purpose. At least she/he at the courtesy to stop and offer her a lift, in which the woman took note of her details. If the OP just drove off, then the OP would prob be in a better situation now.
username402722
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Thanks to everyone who has responded, I offered the woman a lift but she refused. I just have to wait and see what happens now. I will post any news.
I would have thought given your user name you would be fully supportive of the law being enforced properly and with the maximum possible sentence to deter feckless youngsters from committing crime.
Guy Secretan
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
I would have just stopped and gone haha and drove off. Seriously everyone knows not to stand near puddles on a road you are just asking to get wet.
Misstery
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Seriously, this is a crime?

It happens to me on almost a weekly basis. Yeah, it's kind of terrible at the time, but, come on, it is just a bit of water. There are more important things than a bit of water. I don't see how it's a chargeable offence. Especially if it's a one-off accident.
The Socktor
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Dr Pesto)
Being soaked on a cold day? think it through.

Besides, avoiding puddles is better for the him/herself as the puddle could be covering a pothole.
Misstery
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by The Socktor)
Being soaked on a cold day? think it through.
I don't really see your point. Yes, it sucks. But so does someone tripping and spilling coffee down you. Are you really going to seek criminal charges?

Why are people so desperate to see someone suffer for everything little thing that happens to them. It's petty and pointless. It was an honest accident. Forgive and move on.
Dr Pesto
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by officelinebacker)
How would you feel if you were walking to work and some ******* in a car soaked you from head to toe with filthy water?
I'm sure I'd be pretty pissed off, but 'calling the appropriate authorities' (the puddle police?) is an over reaction. It was an accident, and it's not like she physically injured her or anything. I bet she didn't even get that wet.
The Socktor
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Misstery)
I don't really see your point. Yes, it sucks. But so does someone tripping and spilling coffee down you. Are you really going to seek criminal charges?

Why are people so desperate to see someone suffer for everything little thing that happens to them. It's petty and pointless. It was an honest accident. Forgive and move on.
Wearing wet clothes puts a person at greater risk of hypothermia. The difference with spilling coffee is that you can't really prevent it. I can understand that the OP did not mean to cause harm, however I can understand why the woman was upset. I would advise the OP to be more careful in the future.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (132)
66.33%
No (45)
22.61%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.06%

Watched Threads