The Student Room Group

Anyone for the death penalty please look at this.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
The death penalty for anything is a highly irrational form of justice.
Original post by miser
The fundamental problem with capital punishment is that execution is not justice, it is revenge.

Brilliantly said.

Because you know, these innocent people who are on death row are going to be killed for a crime they didn't even commit. Just imagine feeling the pure terror of knowing you're going to die. :frown:
The death penalty is only correct when there is conclusive 100% evidence that they committed the crime and even then it depends on the crime. I personally believe serial killers deserve to get the death penalty because they have committed the same crime over and over again which proves that they are not learning from what they have done and don't believe what they are doing is wrong, the serial killers should all be sent to see if they are mentally stable first and if they are not then they should not be killed.

The current system of the death penalty is completely wrong, especially the amount of innocents that die from it around the world. I really hope they change the system of the death penalty but I can't see it happening in the foreseeable future.
Original post by Klutzz
Because there's a massive difference between keeping someone in a cell for the rest of their lives and murdering them. What's the difference between the murder that the person has committed themselves and the state deciding to give them the death penalty?
Presumably the same difference that exists between imprisoning a murderer and kidnapping a stranger off the street and locking them in your basement. Didn't you already accept that?

It goes against our basic human rights.

As defined by someone-or-other. Britain in fact had the world's first Bill of Rights and continued to use the death penalty for another 300 years, so I'm not convinced they're incompatible. People have a right to not be attacked or killed when they are minding their own business; they don't have a right to immunity from judicial penalties. Otherwise rights couldn't be enforced anyway.

Another thing, it doesn't even work. The murder rate in America is actually much higher than that of the UK and other countries.

The US murder rate was higher than the UK murder rate when we also had the death penalty.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending