The Student Room Group

How did you get your job ?

Hi, looking for a part time/weekend job and was wondering how you got yours ? I've applied anywhere that accept online applications and getting nowhere. Any advice on where to hand out CV's or how to apply to certain stores/ places. Thanks in advance. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Becky_Ann
Hi, looking for a part time/weekend job and was wondering how you got yours ? I've applied anywhere that accept online applications and getting nowhere. Any advice on where to hand out CV's or how to apply to certain stores/ places. Thanks in advance. :smile:

Im looking for a job too :smile: just finished a temporary contract - i found that from sending my CV by post to all the shops in my town. I got lots of responses from that so id give that a go :smile:
Reply 2
I got my job by applying online, I tend to get more of a response when I apply online (interview invites), than handing out my CV to stores. If you are going to give out your CV check to see that they are actually recruiting and speak to the manager directly as it allows you to make a good first impression.
I went in and asked for an application form, filled it in and sent it back.
Id definitely try handing out CV's. And carry on applying online as well.
Reply 4
Original post by SpottedZebra
Im looking for a job too :smile: just finished a temporary contract - i found that from sending my CV by post to all the shops in my town. I got lots of responses from that so id give that a go :smile:

Hey, thanks I will definatley give posting Cv's a go. Out of interest who did you address it to and did you add a covering letter? Also what stores/places did you get responses off, in case there are any in my area (I might try them as a starting point):smile:
Hey, thanks I will definatley give posting Cv's a go. Out of interest who did you address it to and did you add a covering letter? Also what stores/places did you get responses off, in case there are any in my area (I might try them as a starting point):smile:

on the envelope I just put the name of the store, then I did a cover letter inside that was addressed to 'the manager'. The cover letter just basically said what kind of hours etc i was looking for and that my CV was attached.

I got responses off costa coffee, tesco, Dorothy Perkins, and two little independent shops - a shoe shop and a bakery.

id definitely recommend doing it - I got way more responses from that than anything else :smile:
Reply 6
I applied online to both my jobs, got invited to interviews and got them :smile: my first one was an xmas temp job and they kept me on, this one now was an interview after applying online. Took so long until I found this one though! You've just got to keep applying until you've applied to every possible job! Make sure your CV is professional and you'll find one I'm sure :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was in year 11 and started looking around March/April time and applying despite not being 16 till July. By constantly applying and getting rejected, I was able to try and find different strategies of applying/answering question so when I was 16 I was practically a pro in knowing what type of feedback they like.
Yeah, got a job and then my temporary contract finished :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by ann13
I applied online to both my jobs, got invited to interviews and got them :smile: my first one was an xmas temp job and they kept me on, this one now was an interview after applying online. Took so long until I found this one though! You've just got to keep applying until you've applied to every possible job! Make sure your CV is professional and you'll find one I'm sure :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I will keep applying online and may post some Cv's as suggested above. where where your jobs at ? :smile:
Reply 9
I handed in loads of CVs, but didn't get much of a reply. Filled out application forms by hand but didn't have much luck there either.

But then I applied online for different jobs and got 3 at once. :colonhash:

It was christmas time though, so they were looking for temps, but I got kept on where I work now. :h:

For retail jobs, focus more on your experience than anything else.
Reply 10
I was very lucky to get my job when I was 16.. I literally saw a notice, went in and applied and got thee job. It was only a small cafe but was brilliant when I had the break from secondary school to college. I recently got a full time job as bar staff - 40 hours a week, and I am extremely lucky to get that tbh. I'm not even sure how I got it. For my interview, I went in a suit and a nice blouse, made sure I was presentable and even had a laugh with them and they said they like me :P. eye contact is a must when in an interview and tbh, even getting an interview I believe it is pot luck but most of the times they briefly look at application at hobbies, qualifications and most importantly previous experience.. Since your 16, on guessing dont have any?? It's good to look for a job at your age tbh since in long run does work out the best.. When handing in an application, attach a cv to it. My cv is only a page long (they don't really look if over two pages) and made sure that it was professional but different e.g I made my name stand out with the size font and added a colour scheme to it e.g blue and black - mainly cause blue represents fresh I believe. Tbh, online applications don't really get accepted as often as going into the store and asking for application form since it shows your not making an effort. Basically, apply for anywhere and everywhere you can, ask for an application form if have them and if they say 'sorry dont have any ATM/or not looking for anyone' just say in a enthusiastic tone 'can I leave my cv with you incase anything comes up?' It shows your keen as well. Also, when you get an interview - making out they are the best and most respectable company ever really helps :P hope this helps and good luck!!

Posted from
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by SpottedZebra
on the envelope I just put the name of the store, then I did a cover letter inside that was addressed to 'the manager'. The cover letter just basically said what kind of hours etc i was looking for and that my CV was attached.

I got responses off costa coffee, tesco, Dorothy Perkins, and two little independent shops - a shoe shop and a bakery.

id definitely recommend doing it - I got way more responses from that than anything else :smile:

Tesco ? I thought they were amongst the companies that only did apply online now .
Reply 12
Thanks, I will keep applying online and may post some Cv's as suggested above. where where your jobs at ? :smile:

Next and River Island :smile: Retail jobs seem to be the easiest to get so I've stuck to that industry for now :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I handed my CV in to my local sportsdirect. Partly lucky timing because they were hiring, but they seem to be always hiring.
Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
Tesco ? I thought they were amongst the companies that only did apply online now .

yeah it was a tesco express store, they phoned me up and asked if I wanted a interview :smile:
My first job: Handed in an application :smile: Second job: Through my mum's friend
I handed out CV's for months and months early last year and had no hope (I was 15) at the time, and one day there was just a small ad in a local cafe advertising for part-time weekend staff - I handed in a CV and they rang me up and offered me the job. I started three days before my sixteenth birthday and have been there nearly nine months now - it's small, minimum wage but with quite good tips my boss is just awkward at times.
Through a recruitment agency.
Sainsburys are online only. I applied online, had interview & tests and got the job. As long as you can speak English, Supermarkets really don't care about previous experience etc.
Reply 19
Both the jobs I've had have been asking friends and them letting me know once they get any vacancies at the places they worked. Never heard anything back after handing out CVs!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending