Turn on thread page Beta

Maîtrise en Droit @ Cam watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

Just interested in knowing if anyone is going for this course at Cambridge. Or is there anyone who's on the course at the moment?

ReputationRep:
    hey,

i dont know ne one on it and im going to cam this year to do law but i was so close to applying for it. I do two languages at A level and really like the idea of going to paris for two years and using them, alongside law. but i spoke to the director of studies at downing college who advised me against it. he said the people on it are wilting because you have to get three years work done in two years. he said the pressure was enormous and he wouldnt wish that on anyone because there is enough with straight law as it is. I mean im no way fluent in french and he said you absolutely must be fluent to be considered else the language barrier will delay progress further. the opportunity to take the third year out and come back to finish your exams in the last year seems good enough to me. but if ur fluent in french and fancy a challenge (ahem...understatement) go for it. try and get in contact with someone already doing it. hope this helps....

ReputationRep:
    erm, what is this course? i havent heard of it before

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    erm, what is this course? i havent heard of it before
    A course for people who dont want to have any fun at university methinks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smaug)
    A course for people who dont want to have any fun at university methinks
    I went through a phase of wanting to apply for it when i was in lower sixth, i think i was attracted to the idea of living in France. But then i was in Paris for a year and am glad i will be studying History (more interesting and more time to bum around)!!

ReputationRep:
    I have been in contact with someone on the course. Basically the course is a 4 year degree with 2yrs at Cambridge and 2yrs in Paris II (to anyone who doesn't know). At the end of the four years (assuming you did the work and didn't fry) you get two degrees... a BA from Cambridge and a "Maîtrise en Droit" from Paris II. It is hard work, but you don't have to be fluent - Grade A at A-level French is required.

The French students who come over here during the first two years find it difficult to follow the lectures in English. Tight bonds would form between the group where everyone helps each other out. It’s true that its a demanding course but if your willing to put in the effort, there's nothing stopping you.

I'm currently doing AS and this course has attracted me for about 2 years now. Difficult to get on though.

Thoughts anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

It sounds as though you really want to get on this course so I say go for it.
    You really need to speak to the director of studies at the college you want to go to, because they will be able to give you advice. On the Downing College open day there was about 15 of us. There was another girl who wanted to know about this course and was told fluency in French was obviously required. I was told that an A in French A Level is not enough because that doesn't constitute fluency...I got an A in AS and am in line for an A now (i hope!) but there is no way I could sit in a law lecture in Paris. It sounds such a good course though, so dont let that put you off if you're up for doing some hard work.
    Remember that you have to be accepted on to the normal law degree first so that should be your priority. You need to show that you are dedicated to studying law. Then you can be considered for this course. If you dont get on it you still have a place at Cambridge on the law degree. There is as well the opportunity to take the third year out, which I plan to do. check out my profile on the oxbridge-info website...http://oa.waveflex.com/profiles/prof_disp.asp?id=721

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 16, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.