What A levels do you need for dentistry?

Watch
L.Scribbler
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
What A levels do you need to do dentistry? UCAS says biology/chemistry but is maths necessary/physics? Is a combination like this: Biology, Chemistry, English Literature, French.. okay for dentistry?
D4rth
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by L.Scribbler)
What A levels do you need to do dentistry? UCAS says biology/chemistry but is maths necessary/physics? Is a combination like this: Biology, Chemistry, English Literature, French.. okay for dentistry?
They said bio and chemistry are necessary because almost every university requires them. Most also do not care what your other option is as long as its an A, usually excluding general studies. Don't do maths/physics just because you think it might look better, if you don't get an A it will be a disadvantage.

Sent from my Nexus 4
shak3
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi I want to be a dentist as well im doing my AS atm and i have taken Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics. They want you to definetly take biology and chemistry
L.Scribbler
Rep:
?
(Original post by D4rth)
They said bio and chemistry are necessary because almost every university requires them. Most also do not care what your other option is as long as its an A, usually excluding general studies. Don't do maths/physics just because you think it might look better, if you don't get an A it will be a disadvantage.

Sent from my Nexus 4
Thanks, im definitely doing biology/chemistry, i didnt want to do maths or physics at a level at all, but wont I need maths for a dentistry undergraduate course? (if i went on to do that and got the grades)
L.Scribbler
Rep:
?
(Original post by shak3)
Hi I want to be a dentist as well im doing my AS atm and i have taken Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics. They want you to definetly take biology and chemistry
Thanks, how do you find biology and chemistry A level by the way in terms of how challenging they are? As in the step up from GCSE to A level..?
_HabibaH_
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks, im definitely doing biology/chemistry, i didnt want to do maths or physics at a level at all, but wont I need maths for a dentistry undergraduate course? (if i went on to do that and got the grades)
No you won't. A lot of applicants have only Biology and Chemistry and it suffices. I've applied for Dentistry, and I had a mix of Biloogy, Chemistry, Psychology and English. You'd rather do something you enjoy as opposed to maths (which can be a terror if you don't like it) - it'll be easier to get higher grades and you won't feel depressed learning about it. It also shows you have a variety of interests, if you choose something like a language or an art or politics/history.
2013medicyeahhhh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Remember you will also have to do the UKCAT for dentistry, which involves a lot of maths.
L.Scribbler
Rep:
?
(Original post by _HabibaH_)
No you won't. A lot of applicants have only Biology and Chemistry and it suffices. I've applied for Dentistry, and I had a mix of Biloogy, Chemistry, Psychology and English. You'd rather do something you enjoy as opposed to maths (which can be a terror if you don't like it) - it'll be easier to get higher grades and you won't feel depressed learning about it. It also shows you have a variety of interests, if you choose something like a language or an art or politics/history.
Thanks yeah maths isn't my strongest subject i guess.. if you don't mind me asking, what uni's did you apply to?
D4rth
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks yeah maths isn't my strongest subject i guess.. if you don't mind me asking, what uni's did you apply to?
Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds, Liverpool

I did Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths (AS)
Got a B in maths but A's in the rest, maths is definitely not my strong point either and dropping it was the best choice I could've ever made, just do what you're comfortable with!
L.Scribbler
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2013medicyeahhhh)
Remember you will also have to do the UKCAT for dentistry, which involves a lot of maths.
Oh yes the quantitative reasoning part.. how hard is that though? I heard that you have a calculator for that?
_HabibaH_
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Applied to Plymouth (offer), Sheffield, Manchester and Leeds (pre interview rejections). It wasn't my subjects that were the problem though. It was other menial factors which I didn't consider in my PS (e.g. Length of work exp etc).

I hated maths during high school too, just managed to get an A among mostly other A* grades - I got the lowest in it but had to try the hardest. If you're in a similar situation to me then don't burden yourself. Choose something you're comfortable with and can happily revise for (even if the specification is waaay boring).
L.Scribbler
Rep:
?
(Original post by D4rth)
Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds, Liverpool

I did Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths (AS)
Got a B in maths but A's in the rest, maths is definitely not my strong point either and dropping it was the best choice I could've ever made, just do what you're comfortable with!
wow okay thank you! i will
L.Scribbler
Rep:
?
(Original post by _HabibaH_)
Applied to Plymouth (offer), Sheffield, Manchester and Leeds (pre interview rejections). It wasn't my subjects that were the problem though. It was other menial factors which I didn't consider in my PS (e.g. Length of work exp etc).

I hated maths during high school too, just managed to get an A among mostly other A* grades - I got the lowest in it but had to try the hardest. If you're in a similar situation to me then don't burden yourself. Choose something you're comfortable with and can happily revise for (even if the specification is waaay boring).
That's the same with me, Im picking my a levels now and I don't want to take maths so i dont think i will, i dont really like it :/ thank you!
2013medicyeahhhh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh yes the quantitative reasoning part.. how hard is that though? I heard that you have a calculator for that?
I'm pretty certain that I'm going to get an A* at maths A levels and q.r. was still by far my worst section. There is just not enough time to answer all of the questions (again coming from a person that will finish an A level paper in less than half the time). It was just insane.

Also, you get a calculator but its an online one which is a bit different.
_HabibaH_
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That's the same with me, Im picking my a levels now and I don't want to take maths so i dont think i will, i dont really like it :/ thank you!
No problem. Choose wisely. And if you find out that your grades surprise you in August, if there are spaces in other subjects, they will be happy to transfer you. Work hard in your GCSEs, sometimes a B grade can be the difference between a rejection and an opportunity
Vian
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's just GCSE level maths. A-Level maths certainly isn't needed, not is it even helpful.
L.Scribbler
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2013medicyeahhhh)
I'm pretty certain that I'm going to get an A* at maths A levels and q.r. was still by far my worst section. There is just not enough time to answer all of the questions (again coming from a person that will finish an A level paper in less than half the time). It was just insane.

Also, you get a calculator but its an online one which is a bit different.
(Original post by Vian)
It's just GCSE level maths. A-Level maths certainly isn't needed, not is it even helpful.
I'm not sure now :confused: is it like gcse maths or really hard?
SK100
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My friend is doing dentistry at Sheffield next year (deferred) and she didn't do Maths..she did Biology, Chemistry and Economics
D4rth
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you can do GCSE maths you can do this, you know maths is my weakest point but in the UKCAT that was my highest subscore with like 730 or something. Stupid abstract reasoning brought my score waaaay down as I got 360 in that section but 600's in the others.
Vian
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's difficult, but as has already been stated the reason is mainly to do with the limited time you have per question. The knowledge doesn't ever go beyond standard GCSE level, just as stated on the site.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (515)
33.64%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.41%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.38%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed