Original post by Geckogirl64
Turning to crime

Upbringing =
Farrington
Sutherland/Akers
Wikstrom and Tafel

Cognition =
Yochelson and Samenow
Palmer and Hollin (moral reasoning and social cognition/attribution theory)

Biology =
Raine et al
Bruner
Daly and Wilson

Is this what you mean or something else? :smile:

thanks so much, lol this is what i meant. i got a little confused, and thought all were based on upbringing :/
Reply 582
Original post by Geckogirl64
My teacher kept telling us the second way is better and you get more marks for it :smile:
Id have thought you would probably want to talk more about the conclusions of the studies as evidence and use comparisons and howevers.

Ah thank you! That's what i've been doing but someone said something further back that scared me :smile:
Original post by hoping
thanks so much, lol this is what i meant. i got a little confused, and thought all were based on upbringing :/

No problem :smile: shall be so glad when this exam is done!
Btw thanks everyone for this thread it is so helpful! :wink:
Good luck everybody! :smile:
Original post by charlottecovill
<br /><br />

<br />
<br />

oh making a case is my favourite! Haha! So simplistic. If I can create a table of everything that has come up would it be helpful?

I wouldn't take my chances on the what has already come up, because they can literally test you on anything, I have a feeling stress will come up though (hopefully).
Reply 585
Does anyone know the characteristics of disorders of by heart? I don't know any of them. I was just wondering if I should learn each characteristic or just learn a few from each
Original post by N_Thuduwage
I wouldn't take my chances on the what has already come up, because they can literally test you on anything, I have a feeling stress will come up though (hopefully).

If it was a choice of what hasn't come up, I'd choose False Confession, Morality, Lack of Control, Biological treatments - that would be my idea of perfect! :biggrin:
Reply 587
Anyone got any predictions on what will come up? I think stress will :smile:
Reply 588
Original post by hoping
i actually feel sick & ill, because im so stressed. :frown: i left revision too late, because i had other exams.
i know nothing about forensics, no matter how much i read my notes again again, nothing sinks in ! :frown:

All the best of luck tomorrow, please don't make yourself ill! I have had glandular fever for 3 months due to stress and missed a hell of a lot of time off college, it really isn't worth it! Try writing out key bits of your notes from now up to the exam, instead of just reading them :smile: x
What is the difference between nature and individual, and nurture and situational?
They seem exactly the same to me.
what essay structure is people going by for the best marks , section a and b?
Can someone tell me exactly what we need to know about the FBI's top-down approach for the exam?
The info in my booklet is so confusing!
Original post by superwhatman

I was told section A should be a summary of the study, and then make your conclusion relate to the question itself.

Section B, you need 2 evaluation points, then I think it's called PEEC? point, example, explain and counter argument.
Original post by Mojojojo
What is the difference between nature and individual, and nurture and situational?
They seem exactly the same to me.

I think nature is biological aspects or causes of your disposition. Your disposition can be affected by nurture too (upbringing). Upbringing can therefore have nurture aspects which may be influenced or caused by your situation (environment, economic, family or social situation) - disrupted families, poverty, social groups.
Nature - biological
Individual / dispositional - personality influenced by nature and nurture
Nurture - environmental influences
Situational - can influence nurture and hence disposition

Reading that back I'm not sure if that makes any sense! You're right I think they are similar but they affect each other. :smile:

Section A

Describe research: Aim, sample, procedure, results and conclusion.
Outline etc: Background/Theories, General discussion, backed up with research.

For example, with the Outline type questions, if asked about False Confession, you would talk about types of confession (i.e. voluntary, coerced compliant and coerced internalised), risk factors e.g. low IQ, suggestibility and back it up with research such as how FC in Gudjohnson's False Confession Case Study, he scored 10 on the suggestibility scale, showed an example of a coerced compliant confession etc).

You should aim to write about 1/2 a page to a page within 10 minutes.

Section B

To what extent is... - You are looking at ways in which the area supports the statement and ways in which it doesn't necessarily support it e.g. Usefulness - how it is useful and how it is less useful, Validity - how it is valid, how validity is reduced.

In those types of questions, make sure you define what you are talking about but in a contextualised way - this is not AS where you go reductionism is reducing something to a single point. This is, cognitive explanations of crime can be considered reductionist as they only take into account thought processes, they do not look at biological factors such as genetics of social factors such as our upbringing.

When you are asked a part B question, what I have found in the mark schemes is, even if it doesn't ask you specifically to evaluate, you must always evaluate. For example, one question was 'to what extent are individual (biological) explanations for crime reductionist' and the marks mainly came from evaluating why a reductionist approach is good and not so good, not just picking out what is reductionist and what isn't. Part B is all about evaluating.

You should aim for at least a page and potentially up to 2 pages in 15 minutes. Often it can be split into three paragraphs: one in support of the statement, one which takes an alternative view point and a conclusion which offers an alternative (such as combining two views) or summing it up.
Reply 595

Section A:
Return the question in the introduction in order to stay on track!
Then list everything you know about the study, we got told to learn at least 2 numbers!
Finish the conclusion with a debate, i.e. 'This shows that this study lies on the situational debate as opposed to dispositional as behaviour is determined by our surroundings.' Our teacher told us to do this to ensure that we have enough terminology :smile:

Section B:
Introduction:
Return question!!! & make sure you point identify everything e.g. If the question refers to reliability, state that 'reliability refers to how easily replicated and scientific a study is.'

Main Body:
Point
Example from study
Comment, (making sure you identify everything!)

Point
Example from Study
Comment

Point
Example from study
Comment
CROSS REFERENCE e.g. 'Although this shows that it is high in reliability, by doing so it means that it is low in validity, showing that you may not actually test what you set out to test.

Point
Example from study
Comment

Conclusion:
A some up of everything that you have said

This is how my class and I have been taught to do it, & I've been averaging around 23/25 in my essays! :smile:
Hope its helped in some way!
Original post by Joshalos
Section A

Describe research: Aim, sample, procedure, results and conclusion.
Outline etc: Background/Theories, General discussion, backed up with research.

For example, with the Outline type questions, if asked about False Confession, you would talk about types of confession (i.e. voluntary, coerced compliant and coerced internalised), risk factors e.g. low IQ, suggestibility and back it up with research such as how FC in Gudjohnson's False Confession Case Study, he scored 10 on the suggestibility scale, showed an example of a coerced compliant confession etc).

You should aim to write about 1/2 a page to a page within 10 minutes.

Section B

To what extent is... - You are looking at ways in which the area supports the statement and ways in which it doesn't necessarily support it e.g. Usefulness - how it is useful and how it is less useful, Validity - how it is valid, how validity is reduced.

In those types of questions, make sure you define what you are talking about but in a contextualised way - this is not AS where you go reductionism is reducing something to a single point. This is, cognitive explanations of crime can be considered reductionist as they only take into account thought processes, they do not look at biological factors such as genetics of social factors such as our upbringing.

When you are asked a part B question, what I have found in the mark schemes is, even if it doesn't ask you specifically to evaluate, you must always evaluate. For example, one question was 'to what extent are individual (biological) explanations for crime reductionist' and the marks mainly came from evaluating why a reductionist approach is good and not so good, not just picking out what is reductionist and what isn't. Part B is all about evaluating.

You should aim for at least a page and potentially up to 2 pages in 15 minutes. Often it can be split into three paragraphs: one in support of the statement, one which takes an alternative view point and a conclusion which offers an alternative (such as combining two views) or summing it up.

Thanks a lot for these! Another helpful thing my teacher told me was for part B: after every point, evidence, comment paragraph you'd add a counter argument at the end saying "however, X study could be deemed valid by... etc" to keep a consistent debate in your answer before settling on your final judgement.

I'm honestly stressing so much for this exam. I need 77 UMS in this paper for an A overall but I really don't know...
Original post by Joshalos
x

Good overview pal. :smile:

I actually typed out something about it not always being on research but realised you had covered it, my mistake.
(edited 10 years ago)
I feel like I'm the least prepared person here, I got an A at as, but I only started revising two days ago, I've only ever done about 4 past questions and my teacher is terrible, we just watch films all lesson :frown: set myself up for failure really :/ no chance I'll get my AAB offer now :'(
How would you handle Part Bs that don't have a specified debate/issue?

i.e. To what extent does cognition explain criminal behaviour (15)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending