The Student Room Group

Video of LAPD officer executing man

Ghttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhfPyGOb6eg

Okay so the victim was running away....

Running away.

Running.

Away.

And the officer shot him 3 times in the back and then shot him dead whilst the man was on the floor.

Isnt the firearm supposed to be used in life threatening situation?

How is running away from the officer life threatening?

Why shoot him dead whilst he was on the ground? Was he still a threat?
(edited 11 years ago)
Why did he run? The innocent don't usually run...
Reply 2
Original post by Blair Waldorf

Doesn't mean he deserved to be shot. Maybe he was an illegal immigrant, so didn't want to be caught. Being in a country illegally is wrong, but it hardly deserves death, and it doesn't mean they're a threat to people's safety.

Yes I am thinking of a certain incident that happened in this country.
Original post by Psyk
Doesn't mean he deserved to be shot. Maybe he was an illegal immigrant, so didn't want to be caught. Being in a country illegally is wrong, but it hardly deserves death, and it doesn't mean they're a threat to people's safety.

Yes I am thinking of a certain incident that happened in this country.

I was not defending the cops behaviour but I've seen in movies that if you run away they have a right to shoot you.
Reply 4
I was not defending the cops behaviour but I've seen in movies that if you run away they have a right to shoot you.

:tongue:

But seriously, I suppose there is an argument for that. It sounds excessive, but at least it would stop people trying to run away if the police catch them doing something illegal.
Reply 5
Original post by ESPORTIVA

Running away.

Running.

Away.

And the officer shot him 3 times in the back and then shot him dead whilst the man was on the floor.

I agree with you apart from the bolded (well, I agree with the bolded but not with what I think you were trying to say just missed out the word 'only'). Over there the cops will shoot to stop you, so don't run. Clearly the self defence argument doesn't work, nor does shooting him dead on the ground.
Original post by Psyk
:tongue:

But seriously, I suppose there is an argument for that. It sounds excessive, but at least it would stop people trying to run away if the police catch them doing something illegal.

Yeah lol don't quote me on that could be wrong :wink:
Reply 7
DO you have a link to the full story?

I'd be interested to have a read.
Reply 8
Original post by Steevee
DO you have a link to the full story?

I'd be interested to have a read.

Nah found it on reddit
Reply 9
Nah found it on reddit

You should always be careful with stuff like this if you don't know the full story.
Original post by Steevee
You should always be careful with stuff like this if you don't know the full story.

http://projects.latimes.com/homicide/post/johnathan-cuevas/

http://latinrapper.com/blogs/?p=4376

The youtube video said google the name-these are some links to the story if you do.

So I agree at the moment it is far from clear what the circumstances were. Time will obviously give more evidence, etc

Well then it must be true.

Running away.

Running.

Away.

In the UK we'd say that was wrong. In the US they've obviously said it was ok. Some people can run away, turn around and then shoot. You just don't know.

Looks like the officer was alone. As I said, the guy could've stoipped, turned around and shot. Run to his car and get a bigger gun and shot at the officer.

Why do you care? It's not like it's happened in the UK.

Reply 13
If he really wanted to stop this guy, why not just use a taser?

Or perhaps chase him in the car and bump him down to the ground (they've done this before against an armed man).

Oh no wait this is the LAPD...

They've shot a few innocent people looking for this dorner guy, then burnt him alive in a cabin.

Protect and serve my arse.
Reply 14
Original post by MatureStudent36

What car? What bigger gun?
Legally the police in the US can shoot you if they have reasonable suspicion that by your running away you are a danger to society, the police officer claimed the dead man had reached into his waistband as he was running and a handgun was recovered at the scene which is probably why it was ruled the police officers actions were justified.
Original post by Darth Stewie
Legally the police in the US can shoot you if they have reasonable suspicion that by your running away you are a danger to society, the police officer claimed the dead man had reached into his waistband as he was running and a handgun was recovered at the scene which is probably why it was ruled the police officers actions were justified.

I always get the impression that sometimes the evidence is collected after they shoot to kill, and that they use that to justify their actions. For instance, an alleged criminal (admittedly, with a history) gets trapped escaping from a car - He reaches in to undo his seat belt (which he was trapped on, but the cop believed to be a firearm) and was shot about 8 times. As it happens, there was a firearm, but this was found afterwards.

In other cases, they accidentally find huge stashes of weed in someone's house after coming in for a different, minor, reason. Suddenly, it's all justified.

The UK approach would be a case of waiting until they're an immediate threat. I don't believe that it's justified to shoot someone for running away or for "reaching for a weapon" if they don't see the weapon first.

With my sister living near LA, I do hear of a few things like this going down every so often.
Reply 17

Maybe because he had an absolute psycho shooting him in the back?
Original post by Bobifier
Maybe because he had an absolute psycho shooting him in the back?

Where's the evidence the cop started shooting at someone, which then caused them to run before being shot?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending