TeaMan101
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hey TSR people!

All of my offers have came through from the Universities I wanted and now I have until 8th May 2013 to reply.

Ravensbourne- Digital Television Production- CC
Bournemouth University- Television Production- 280 points minimum, with one A
University of Westminster- Television Production- BBB
University of Gloucestershire- Television Production- I withdrew my application
University of Hertfordshire- Film & Television Documentary- I withdrew my application

All of the grades asked for are easily within reach for me, predicted ABB, so the conditions of my offers are not a problem. The problem is picking between these three reputable universities.

I'm swaying towards Ravensbourne, but the reputation of Bournemouth and the brilliant course at Westminster are making it a real hard decision!

Anybody in the same situation as me? Or thinking of attending the Television Production course at any of the above universities? Or even currently studying/or studied on these courses?

Cheers!
j1mthefish
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Now, I'm not in the same position as you as I'm a year further back than you (i.e. next year I'll probably be in the same boat).

Personally, I would choose Westminster, purely because a) UniStats for the Film & Television Production course I'm looking at doing seems to suggest it is a bit better than the others; b) I for one am much more interested in studying in London than Bournemouth; c) The halls seem nicer at Westminster; d) The course looks the most interesting and e) I would imagine (no evidence, just a gut feeling) that it is probably easier to make contacts in the industry in London.

That's just my opinion. Obviously, my lack of experience means other people might have more meaningful things to say, but I would have thought that any positive input can only be a good thing. Plus, maybe I might bump into you there a year down the line (it's where I want to go)!
Royal Tenenbaum
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Bournemouth has the better reputation so I'd personally go there.
TeaMan101
Rep:
?
(Original post by j1mthefish)
Now, I'm not in the same position as you as I'm a year further back than you (i.e. next year I'll probably be in the same boat).

Personally, I would choose Westminster, purely because a) UniStats for the Film & Television Production course I'm looking at doing seems to suggest it is a bit better than the others; b) I for one am much more interested in studying in London than Bournemouth; c) The halls seem nicer at Westminster; d) The course looks the most interesting and e) I would imagine (no evidence, just a gut feeling) that it is probably easier to make contacts in the industry in London.

That's just my opinion. Obviously, my lack of experience means other people might have more meaningful things to say, but I would have thought that any positive input can only be a good thing. Plus, maybe I might bump into you there a year down the line (it's where I want to go)!
Yeah London to me seems the place to be for making contacts (opposed to Bournemouth). But for Television/Broadcasting, Ravensbourne is more reputable than Westminster, so I have heard anyway.

Only thing is, the accommodation in London costs an arm and a leg...

(Original post by Royal Tenenbaum)
Bournemouth has the better reputation so I'd personally go there.
I agree, but I think London is the place to be. Slightly tipping towards Ravensbourne!
Royal Tenenbaum
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by TeaMan101)
Yeah London to me seems the place to be for making contacts (opposed to Bournemouth).
You have a point but I know a lot of industry professionals and they all say go to Bournemouth.

Posted from TSR Mobile
TeaMan101
Rep:
?
You have a point but I know a lot of industry professionals and they all say go to Bournemouth.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fair enough, but are they industry professionals in Film or Television? I know a Television professional and he says Ravensbourne is the best if you want a technical role (cameras, lighting, sound, etc).

But in the end it's down to the individual, not the institution!
hannahb2706
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Isn't Ravensbourne more computer/technical base, so those wanting to go into post-production, sound ect? I don't know about Bournemouth or Westminster because Westminster's film and TV course is a credible course but the TV course isn't really hyped up as much.
TeaMan101
Rep:
?
(Original post by hannahb2706)
Isn't Ravensbourne more computer/technical base, so those wanting to go into post-production, sound ect? I don't know about Bournemouth or Westminster because Westminster's film and TV course is a credible course but the TV course isn't really hyped up as much.
Yeah, I have heard Ravensbourne is very much technical and an institute about doing.

Ravensbourne is the place for me. I am 90% sure I will firm it, haha!
Royal Tenenbaum
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Fair enough, but are they industry professionals in Film or Television?
A mixture of both including two ex-BBC, currently film people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Snagprophet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Everything about the Media School at Bournemouth is prestigious.
TeaMan101
Rep:
?
A mixture of both including two ex-BBC, currently film people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fair enough! My mum knows a guy who owns his own production company and says that while Bournemouth is very good, Ravensbourne is the place to be. He didn't even acknowledge Westminster's course.

I suppose everyone has their own opinion!

(Original post by Snagprophet)
Everything about the Media School at Bournemouth is prestigious.
Yes, I know, the Media School is amazing!

But I think I have set my mind on Ravensbourne! Just seems the place for me!
Ravensbourne
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Fair enough, but are they industry professionals in Film or Television? I know a Television professional and he says Ravensbourne is the best if you want a technical role (cameras, lighting, sound, etc).

But in the end it's down to the individual, not the institution!
Hi there TeaMan101, in regards to the course lecturers, some of our tutors have online profiles which you can read about here: http://www.ravensbourne.ac.uk/discov...cademic-staff/
Ben Mallaby and Dr. Freddie Gaffney are both the Digital Film Production tutors.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (84)
26.25%
England (108)
33.75%
Belgium (27)
8.44%
Germany (38)
11.88%
Spain (6)
1.88%