Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    :confused: The accommodation available doesn't sound very appealing - & i can't decide which residence i prefer

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, when did you get your offer and for what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by young_free)
    Hiya, when did you get your offer and for what?
    Late January and it's to read English Literature in the condition i obtain abb (incl grade A in English - relief - better than Royal Holloway who asked for 340 pts).

ReputationRep:
    *shudders* What's so great about the intercollegiate halls? I need help on deciding between these 3: King's College Hall, Stamford Street Apartments & Great Dover Street Apartments.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, let me give you a run-down!

King's College Hall is where I'm living currently. To be honest, the rooms are poor, especially if you're in the Danehurst building. That said, even though it doesn't look like much King's College Hall is absolutely THE best KCL accommodation for the social life. There are so many opportunities to make friends outside of your immediate neighbours, unlike Stamford Street and Dover Street.

King's College Hall has a bar, nice big common room with projector (films shown on Thursday and Sunday nights), squash courts, full size snooker table, pool, table tennis, Sky TV room. We also have hall parties every so often which are cool. Basically it is a great place to spend your first year, because you get to meet and make loads of new friends!!!

Stamford Street and Dover Street have much nicer rooms. I believe they have ensuite toilet/shower rooms too. The only problem with these is that they don't have any community. You will struggle to meet people outside of your own flat...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dazmanultra)

Stamford Street and Dover Street have much nicer rooms. I believe they have ensuite toilet/shower rooms too. The only problem with these is that they don't have any community. You will struggle to meet people outside of your own flat...
    :mad: ...that doesn't sound very good...i'm not sure i want catering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    :confused: The accommodation available doesn't sound very appealing - & i can't decide which residence i prefer
    I'm not tooo desperate for the community atmosphere that im sure there is at kings hall - in fact I quite like to keep to a small group of people. Not to mention it is out of the way of the strand campus. So based on journey time into uni - i've picked stamford st as my first choice and great dover st as my second...... followed by others (but i really want one of those ensuites damnit!)

Stamford st is so convenient for the strand, which is where english is based - you literally have to walk over the bridge and you are there in 10 minutes, so that will be nice. It's also just down the road from the IMAX cinema so that's pretty cool. Basically, the location is just right..

That's all in my opinion though..

I didn't like the idea of the intercollegiate halls at all. Am definitely wanting to go self catering so that's largely why.

There is a bar at stamford street too though so you may meet people that way if you're worried about it.

ReputationRep:
    Kings College Hall was most definitely not my first choice when I applied for my accommodation, but because I applied late, that is where I got allocated. I'm glad I didn't go to Stamford Street now.

Denmark Hill train station is literally 3 minutes from Peckham Rye, and Peckham Multiplex is the cheapest cinema in London - £3 any film, any time. Trains also go to Victoria, London Bridge and Blackfriars. Buses are also very good.

That said, if you want to get some work done, you're best off going to Stamford Street.

ReputationRep:
    I can't decide That was one reason it took me so long to see the good points about KCL. I don't like the accommodation at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dazmanultra)
    Kings College Hall was most definitely not my first choice when I applied for my accommodation, but because I applied late, that is where I got allocated. I'm glad I didn't go to Stamford Street now.
    When does the form have to be in? I'm procrastinating. As for Stamford Street Apts im inclined to put that as my first choice.

ReputationRep:
    When does the form have to be in? I'm procrastinating.
    I came to KCL through clearing, so I didn't get my form in until late August!

I would say send the form in ASAP if you want to be at the top of the pile for your first choice!

ReputationRep:
    As long as its received before the end of june you should be in the first round. I am posting mine as soon as UCAS lets me make my firm/insurance choice online though because I lose bits of paper and have already made my mind up. And really want to live in Stamford Street!

Must remember to get a passport photo for them..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fionah)
    As long as its received before the end of june you should be in the first round. I am posting mine as soon as UCAS lets me make my firm/insurance choice online though because I lose bits of paper and have already made my mind up. And really want to live in Stamford Street!

Must remember to get a passport photo for them..
    I made my firm/insurance offer online for the exact reason. I think I'll put Stamford Street as my first choice and Great Dover Street Apts as my second - i definintly want self catering.

ReputationRep:
    I made my firm/insurance offer online for the exact reason. I think I'll put Stamford Street as my first choice and Great Dover Street Apts as my second - i definintly want self catering.
    yea self caterings always good

ReputationRep:
    Same as me Need to get a passport photo tmw and then can post it all off. March is reeally early so hopefully we'll both get our 1st choice!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fionah)
    Same as me Need to get a passport photo tmw and then can post it all off. March is reeally early so hopefully we'll both get our 1st choice!!
    Sorry to inform, but it doesn't matter how early you send your application. As long as you send it in before June you'll be in the first round of applicants to be allocated places. If it was done any other way it'd be unfair to people like me who are STILL waiting for replies from other uni's, and so can't send off our info about firm/insurance offers, etc.

Oh, btw, I'm desperate to get into Stamford St. It looked great on the open day and is in a great location for anyone studying law! THE COST IS ABSOLUTELY SHOCKING THOUGH!!!!!!!!! so Im working full time across the summer and any other holidays to fund it. Itll be worth it though.......hopefully!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    Oh, btw, I'm desperate to get into Stamford St. It looked great on the open day and is in a great location for anyone studying law! THE COST IS ABSOLUTELY SHOCKING THOUGH!!!!!!!!! so Im working full time across the summer and any other holidays to fund it. Itll be worth it though.......hopefully!!
    I don't like the cost either but it's in London so it makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like the cost either but it's in London so it makes sense.
    I've just sent my application off. Hopefully i'll get my first choice Stamford St.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.