At what age is a female considered a woman?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
kmt doe
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Some people say 18, but I personally think 18 is still young and they haven't fully matured enough to be called women. I also think there is no set age for it... I consider married females and mothers women.

What about you?
Katie_p
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It depends what you mean. I no longer consider myself to be a girl in the same sense I don't consider myself a child.
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by kmt doe)
I consider married females and mothers women.
Excellent! I'm nearly 50 and still a girl!
Blair Waldorf
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
gaffer dean
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'll say 20.
kunoichi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
yeah its a difficult one.

Its the same with guys, obviously 18 year olds arent boys but they arent men either.

Girls and boys are children. In that sense an 18 year old female is not a girl, but then not a woman. Im 20 and i feel too young to be called a woman.
SyOnGuitar
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
For me it more depends on how the person acts/looks. Of course the age plays a part too but it has to be alongside those things (how they act and look).
lou_100
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I understand what you mean, but some women never get married and have children and yes, I still think they are women!

Perhaps there should be more criteria than that for becoming a woman. Perhaps, additionally, a girl could become a woman once she's become fully independent from parents and begun her own life? That could mean a husband or family, but also a career maybe?
IlluminatedRain
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Biologically, it's when you're able to have a child, Legally, it's 18. Psychologically, well, that's a whole another issue that's hard to say for sure.
Messalina
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
To be a woman is to be an adult female. Everybody is different, but whether you're talking about the end of puberty or when somebody becomes responsible and really "grows up" mentally can vary in age. I am a woman, and I'm 20, if it matters.
Jonah Ramone
Badges: 19
Report 7 years ago
When she's old enough to bleed
The_Last_Melon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Once she has flown from the nest, same with men.
SnoochToTheBooch
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

funny as **** and probably true
Emma:-)
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Erm...21?
Amanbabbar./
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
18, but it depends on how mature the person is i guess.
WelshDragon23
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by kmt doe)
Some people say 18, but I personally think 18 is still young and they haven't fully matured enough to be called women. I also think there is no set age for it... I consider married females and mothers women.

What about you?
It has more to do with maturity than age I think. Older people tend to call a female a young woman as soon as she speaks to them as a woman, from what I have seen. Therefore, a 16 year old or a 17 year old girl could still be considered a woman if they act 'maturely'. :L
handizivi10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
21. Standardly. For both aswell I think.

BUT that's just a generalisation. Sometimes the maturity level and the label of man and woman doesn't really correlate.
CJKay
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Depends on maturity.
scrotgrot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In our culture, I'd say it's when you leave home. The people I know who have stayed at home throughout university are plainly not as grown up as the ones who left home.

Still, university doesn't count as fully moving out, university is a sort of initiation ritual/sandbox where the privileged send their kids to be put through their paces but not quite left to sink or swim. Same for "gap yah" type excursions. In the bad old days it used to be boarding school and national service.
Donald Duck
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The moment they have their period, so about 13.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (565)
34.2%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (680)
41.16%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (332)
20.1%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise