The Student Room Group

Summer Internship Accommodation - London

Looking for advice regarding accommodation for a summer internship in Canary Wharf.

The woman from HR said that living in/around CW is fairly reasonable due to having little/no travel expenses. Is there a balance due to this or will I save a vast amount by moving further out. Of course, if it was permanent and full time then moving further out would make sense due to the saving accumulated over several years but this is only 8/9 weeks. Which areas strike the right balance as I'm not keen on getting up really early and getting home late.

Also, I'm aware that theres student accommodation available over summer but this seems to be only in central london? Other than this where else would offer such a short lease? I assume private landlords seek longer term tenants.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Conman
Looking for advice regarding accommodation for a summer internship in Canary Wharf.

The woman from HR said that living in/around CW is fairly reasonable due to having little/no travel expenses. Is there a balance due to this or will I save a vast amount by moving further out. Of course, if it was permanent and full time then moving further out would make sense due to the saving accumulated over several years but this is only 8/9 weeks. Which areas strike the right balance as I'm not keen on getting up really early and getting home late.

Also, I'm aware that theres student accommodation available over summer but this seems to be only in central london? Other than this where else would offer such a short lease? I assume private landlords seek longer term tenants.

Thanks

I strongly recommend you to live in Canary Wharf, because:

1. Living conditions of flats in Canary Wharf are very good with a reasonable price (especially compared to central London). E.g. I knew a modern brand-new studio just by the River whose rate is only 270pw. It can cost you double in central London!

2. Regarding that you are working in Canary Wharf (suppose you have to be on work around 9am), It will be a big journey to travel from other places, as CW is quite isolated-there are only DLR and jubilee line through CW. Besides you will see how crowded they are....

3. Your salary will definitely be able to cover the living cost in Canary Wharf where there are many really decent bars and resturants - good places to network with professionals!

So no need to get up at 6am and spend 2 hours on the way to work every morning...
Reply 2
When would you recommend contacting landlords? It's only short term so will they be reluctant to let you book things when there are still 3-4months until you would be moving in?
Reply 3
Original post by Bem04
When would you recommend contacting landlords? It's only short term so will they be reluctant to let you book things when there are still 3-4months until you would be moving in?

Good question.

I'm also wondering what the usual strategy is if you don't know anyone on your internship? I've been looking on gumtree for people advertising rooms but they're all available from March onwards so seems a bit early just now.
Reply 4
Original post by Conman
Good question.

I'm also wondering what the usual strategy is if you don't know anyone on your internship? I've been looking on gumtree for people advertising rooms but they're all available from March onwards so seems a bit early just now.

I have a double room in my flat available near Langdon Park tube station, I work in Canary Wharf and will be away with work over the summer hence my room is free. Please send me a private message if you are interested. I am looking for £700pcm including all bills, wi-fi, car park space, balcony (for the evenings after work when you want to relax in the sunshine)

I recently graduated from Durham University and I have one housemate who is currently studying a Masters degree.

I should add that I cycle to work and it takes me under 10minutes to get to the office from the flat. Walking takes about 20mins, tube about 7minutes.

Anyone is welcome to get in touch!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by emmahaggart
I have a double room in my flat available near Langdon Park tube station, I work in Canary Wharf and will be away with work over the summer hence my room is free. Please send me a private message if you are interested. I am looking for £700pcm including all bills, wi-fi, car park space, balcony (for the evenings after work when you want to relax in the sunshine)

I recently graduated from Durham University and I have one housemate who is currently studying a Masters degree.

I should add that I cycle to work and it takes me under 10minutes to get to the office from the flat. Walking takes about 20mins, tube about 7minutes.

Anyone is welcome to get in touch!

Is this just for the summer? Or on a longer-term basis?
Reply 6
Just for the summer unfortunately

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Hello!

I have a spare double room in a brilliant house in Balham. I'm currently doing a law conversion so hoping to leave it free from June - Mid September.

It's a fantastic house with a large, open living area, garden with BBQ, weekly cleaner, wifi, TV licence, top of the range kitchen etc. Three other good fun, recent Durham graduates also live there and are doing a law conversion, Insurance and Accounting; so there's a good atmosphere for anyone doing an internship as everyone is up early on weekdays and keen for a few beers at the weekends. In terms of the commute, one of the guys has been going to Canary Wharf for work recently and has had no trouble at all, the tubes are pretty good in the morning.

Currently paying £740/month with about £50 bills on top of that, happy to free it up for £750/month and can tailor the term to your exact required length.

If anyone is interested please get in touch and I can send you photos etc!

Thanks.
Reply 8
Original post by CMCLondon
Hello!

I have a spare double room in a brilliant house in Balham. I'm currently doing a law conversion so hoping to leave it free from June - Mid September.

It's a fantastic house with a large, open living area, garden with BBQ, weekly cleaner, wifi, TV licence, top of the range kitchen etc. Three other good fun, recent Durham graduates also live there and are doing a law conversion, Insurance and Accounting; so there's a good atmosphere for anyone doing an internship as everyone is up early on weekdays and keen for a few beers at the weekends. In terms of the commute, one of the guys has been going to Canary Wharf for work recently and has had no trouble at all, the tubes are pretty good in the morning.

Currently paying £740/month with about £50 bills on top of that, happy to free it up for £750/month and can tailor the term to your exact required length.

If anyone is interested please get in touch and I can send you photos etc!

Thanks.

Hey is the room still available? Would need it from 24th June to 31st August

Cheers
Reply 9
If anyone needs a place 20/6 - 7/7, give me a shout. This is a 1 bedroom flat close to Camden with balcony and all the usual stuff (wifi, fully furnished, etc.). £400 for the entire period.
Reply 10
Pretty sure the general consensus is to wait until closer to the summer.
Hi! I am looking for sth for that summer. Have been trying with many agencies and private and the price ranges are just to broad. Do you know how much per week shall a studio round 30 minutes from Canary Wharf cost? My rent is going to be 11 or 12 weeks. Thanks for help!
Reply 12
Hello ! I am a student in London and I want to rent my flat over the summer, from the 8th of July until either mid-August or the first of september. It is a two bedroom flat in Earl's Court and has been fully refurbished last year with a shower bathroom, living room, dining area, and a fully refurbished kitchen. Contact me if you're interested !
Reply 13
Hi, i will be doing internship in london and looking for apartment from 1st July till 7th Sept. is your place still available?
my contact no :- 07449961933

Original post by mgdl
Hello ! I am a student in London and I want to rent my flat over the summer, from the 8th of July until either mid-August or the first of september. It is a two bedroom flat in Earl's Court and has been fully refurbished last year with a shower bathroom, living room, dining area, and a fully refurbished kitchen. Contact me if you're interested !
Try Canada Water. One tube station away, and the rent I am paying is dirt cheap at just 120 pw (srs)
Reply 15
I was in London last summer and lived in a hostel accommodation in Westferry, it's right outside Canary Wharf, around 5 min by DLR, or 10 min by walk.

The offer standard and en-suite rooms. I lived in the en-suite room and for 180 GBP, including all utilities (cheaper for standard rooms), you get a fully furnished room with fibre optic internet, personal TV + mini-fridge, along with shared access to kitchen and free gym (although very small).

Anyways, I am not sure if you are allow to advertise here, so if you want the link of the place, either confirm its alright to post links, or PM me :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Thanks Roronoa, i will check out accommodation in canada water.

Original post by Roronoa
Try Canada Water. One tube station away, and the rent I am paying is dirt cheap at just 120 pw (srs)
Reply 17
I've got a studio flat 10 minutes away from Canary Wharf available to rent over summer until the 10th September. It's new accommodation, with ensuite bathroom and private kitchen. Let me know if you're interested.
Original post by ChevalBlanc
If anyone needs a place 20/6 - 7/7, give me a shout. This is a 1 bedroom flat close to Camden with balcony and all the usual stuff (wifi, fully furnished, etc.). £400 for the entire period.

Hi Mate, was wondering if this was still available?

Thanks
Reply 19
Original post by smartm0ve
Thanks Roronoa, i will check out accommodation in canada water.

Canada Water is not that cheap.

If you're working in the City then you can live near Maryland/Forest Gate and be at Liverpool Street in 15 mins by National Rail - or walk/take a bus to Stratford and then take the Central Line (15 mins from Stratford to St. Pauls). Likewise if you work in Canary Wharf it is about 15 mins from Stratford to C. Wharf (4 stops on the Jubilee Line).

I live near Maryland (10 mins by walk from Stratford) at the moment and I pay just £60 per week including bills (half of what you would pay in Canada Water)!

But travel cost will be a bit higher for Maryland/Stratford (£137.50 per month for a Zone 1-3 Oyster travelcard vs. £117.50 per month for Zone 1-2 in the case of Canada Water).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending