The Student Room Group

David Cameron: UK and India can have 'great partnership'

"David Cameron has said the UK can forge one of "the great partnerships of the 21st century" with India, as he arrives in Mumbai to begin a three-day visit.

With business the main focus, he leads what 10 Downing Street says is the largest trade delegation taken on an overseas trip by a prime minister.

Among those represented are Rolls-Royce, BAE Systems and BP - plus the British Museum and London's Underground.

Meanwhile, Mr Cameron has appeared to indicate that the UK's visa process could be made easier for Indian businesses."

Building up these links off of Top Gear's visit perhaps? :ahee:

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Although India at the moment has absolutely massive cultural problems - huge wealth gap and inequality etc, these will improve as the country matures, so forging links with a country which is set to become a major world power is probably a smart idea looking forward.
Didn't Cameron embark on a similar stunt to India 2 years ago? And yet our trade links between our two countries have barely improved :rolleyes:
Original post by tinkertailor
Didn't Cameron embark on a similar stunt to India 2 years ago? And yet our trade links between our two countries have barely improved :rolleyes:

Incorrect. There's been obvious issues with our economy that may have missed you by.
More importantly have they bought the typhoons?

Sent from my HTC One X
Original post by TheFrozenLake.
More importantly have they bought the typhoons?

Sent from my HTC One X

The Guardian readers will knock it. But you know they're your friends when they buy your planes...plus it does secure British Jobs which isn't a bad thing.
Original post by MatureStudent36
The Guardian readers will knock it. But you know they're your friends when they buy your planes...plus it does secure British Jobs which isn't a bad thing.

Yep, I mean they're defence budget is increasing, Hopefully it will mean they will buy more of our equipment, But I can't see that as India is currently developing two stealth planes...(One with Russia, Other on its own)

Sent from my HTC One X
Reply 7
Yep, I mean they're defence budget is increasing, Hopefully it will mean they will buy more of our equipment, But I can't see that as India is currently developing two stealth planes...(One with Russia, Other on its own)

Sent from my HTC One X

PAK-FA and MRSA are two project tenders for the IAF.
Original post by Type 052D
PAK-FA and MRSA are two project tenders for the IAF.

Bit off topic, But have they made prototypes yet?

Sent from my HTC One X
Reply 9
Original post by tinkertailor

Trade has increased about 50% since then.

All for these trips and infact the PM should go on more, it's just a shame that it's restricted to big business.
Reply 10
Bit off topic, But have they made prototypes yet?Sent from my HTC One X
There are 4 fully operational pak-fas already. India+Russia would manufacture the export version. Both export and russian versions were designed exclusively by Sukhoi with a financial contribution from India.
Original post by CEKTOP
There are 4 fully operational pak-fas already. India+Russia would manufacture the export version. Both export and russian versions were designed exclusively by Sukhoi with a financial contribution from India.

Wonder who they will export it to and how stealthy it is, How it stacks up against F-35 and the F-22.

Sent from my HTC One X
Wonder who they will export it to and how stealthy it is, How it stacks up against F-35 and the F-22.

Sent from my HTC One X

Its significantly cheaper than those two options. The Indians are unlikely to be in a day one scenario against a major power without western support. It has to go against Pakistan. Stealth is so highly overrated .
Reply 13
Perhaps Mr Cameron should try forging a (trusted) partnership with the British People first before he starts blowing smoke towards India.
Original post by FloydRix
Perhaps Mr Cameron should try forging a (trusted) partnership with the British People first before he starts blowing smoke towards India.

Firstly he has.

secondly we need trade to boost the economy so people like yourself can carry on fleecing the taxpayer with your benefits fetish
Reply 15
Firstly he has.

secondly we need trade to boost the economy so people like yourself can carry on fleecing the taxpayer with your benefits fetish

No he hasn't Just look at the London riots a few years back. This summer is going to be a lot worse with the new poll tax.
Its significantly cheaper than those two options. The Indians are unlikely to be in a day one scenario against a major power without western support. It has to go against Pakistan. Stealth is so highly overrated .

I'm thinking that it is too, Although they did get beat, That general managed to take that F-117 down pretty easily.

Yes I do believe there is an arms race in the Indian subcontinent, Pakistan needs to upgrade its J-17's or get hold of China's new stealth fighter...And get a missile defence system.

Sent from my HTC One X

You so nicked that from the BBC website.

No he hasn't Just look at the London riots a few years back.

Yeah that's right the riots in London were against David Cameron and the Tories. They had nothing at all to do with a protest against a police shooting that spiralled out of control after it was hijacked by youth gangs. :rolleyes:

This summer is going to be a lot worse with the new poll tax.

New poll tax, what you on about?
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm thinking that it is too, Although they did get beat, That general managed to take that F-117 down pretty easily.

Yes I do believe there is an arms race in the Indian subcontinent, Pakistan needs to upgrade its J-17's or get hold of China's new stealth fighter...And get a missile defence system.

Sent from my HTC One X

It more likely Pakistan wants to purchase the newer Chinese J-10B fighter aircraft with ASEA Radar and 3D liquid sensors. The PLAAF (Chinese Air force) has been testing various new air-frames with it's WS-10 engines, including the J-10A, J-11, J-16 and the new naval J-15 fighter plane. The Indians also have to compete with China (nearly impossible now) thus the IAF has to create something beyond PAK-FA or the indignous stealth fighter. On the plus side, the Indian navy has Mig-29K for it's new carriers.
Original post by CEKTOP

India did not just contributed financially but it also helped the development of the air-frame. The HAI (Hindustani Air Industries) has helped developments of this new fighter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending