Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna be doing law at the University Of Sheffield, and would really like some advice on the accomodation there.

Regards.

ReputationRep:
    I can tell you about the self catered but I would recommend even though the food sucks apparantly and is late according to my friend in catered, that you go into catered just because the social life is loads better and more organised for undergrads. I'm sure that expression and co can enlighten you about what its all about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    I'm gonna be doing law at the University Of Sheffield, and would really like some advice on the accomodation there.

Regards.
    so i can comment on that if it helps???

the catered accom' are quite old buildings, but are set up like little hotels, with t v areas, dining rooms, laundry rooms, and the all essential 'bars'
    we were told that living in the catered allows you to get involved with more people, sharing 'home' with like 400+, while the self catered are alot smaller units..
    if you go self catered though, you can still eat in the catered halls, just 'pay as you eat' instead of the food being part of your rent.
    the catered in sheffield are quite expensive compared to others we've seen though.
    your private rooms are the same everywhere we've been, no where is better, a bed, a desk and a shelf.
    sheffield was one of my daughters last 3 choices, and had she chosen to go there, she would have picked the 'catered' option, simply because of the social aspect.
    good luck at sheffield!
    janx

ReputationRep:

Regards.
    Catered ? Self Catered ?

Visit here for Halls:

http://www.shef.ac.uk/housing/halls/info.html

Self Catered Flats

http://www.shef.ac.uk/housing/self_catering/flats

Have a look at what you think you might like, then I'll give you as much of a low-down as I can on them.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks people. I have conducted some research as you have suggested Expression, and have a few questions.

The accomodation that I am intrested in are, 'Stephenson', 'Ranmoor' and 'Tapton' halls of residence. I went onto the website and was somewhat shocked at the prices. 'Tapton' seems to be the cheapest out of them, however with speaking to byb3 he said it wasn't the best, but the location of it is nice, as I am doing law, the Crookesmere building is only a few minutes on foot.

Is having an ensuite bathroom a luxury that we can do without, or is it crazy to get into the bathrooms to have a shower or wash in the morning? The website was vague in the explaination of what the bathrooms are like.

Do cleaners come into your room?

Are there any curfews? Do they lock the main door if say your not back in by 5:00AM?

What are the actual prices, when looking at the spreadsheet for Stephenson halls for example I saw rent (£3096.76 to £3900.08) is that 3900.08 with ensuite and a 31+7 week contract?

Also the size of the room is important. Are all the rooms individually priced, so if you want one overlooking the main road its going to cost less than one overlooking the grass? Whom dictates which room you get? Is it the luck of the draw? Are they all the same size?

Location is important too, I would preferably like to go to the gym whenever I have time. Considering that I did go to Tapton, whats accessability like? How much is gym membership?

Well that's all for the moment. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    Thanks people. I have conducted some research as you have suggested Expression, and have a few questions.

The accomodation that I am intrested in are, 'Stephenson', 'Ranmoor' and 'Tapton' halls of residence. I went onto the website and was somewhat shocked at the prices. 'Tapton' seems to be the cheapest out of them, however with speaking to byb3 he said it wasn't the best, but the location of it is nice, as I am doing law, the Crookesmere building is only a few minutes on foot.

Is having an ensuite bathroom a luxury that we can do without, or is it crazy to get into the bathrooms to have a shower or wash in the morning? The website was vague in the explaination of what the bathrooms are like.

Are there any curfews? Do they lock the main door if say your not back in by 5:00AM?

What are the actual prices, when looking at the spreadsheet for Stephenson halls for example I saw rent (£3096.76 to £3900.08) is that 3900.08 with ensuite and a 31+7 week contract?

Also the size of the room is important. Are all the rooms individually priced, so if you want one overlooking the main road its going to cost less than one overlooking the grass? Whom dictates which room you get? Is it the luck of the draw? Are they all the same size?

Location is important too, I would preferably like to go to the gym whenever I have time. Considering that I did go to Tapton, whats accessability like? How much is gym membership?

Well that's all for the moment. Thanks.

tapton is close to the gym- the gym is about 200m from crookesmoor law building :-)
    when i was looking @ sheffield i was going to go to tapton- it is smaller and so more friendly....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    tapton is close to the gym- the gym is about 200m from crookesmoor law building :-)
    when i was looking @ sheffield i was going to go to tapton- it is smaller and so more friendly....
    Are you doing a law degree too?

ReputationRep:
    Tapton is the closest to the law building, but is only available for 31 weeks, meaning you'll be carting everything out at Xmas and Easter.

31+7 week contracts are useful for this purpose.

The location of every single hall at Sheffield Uni I would suggest is in nice surroundings.

On that note, Stephenson is probably the nicest set, and isn't too far away from the Endcliffe Student Village site, with Broomhill high street well positioned.

Prices are that little more, but bear in mind you are getting 31+7 weeks, and at the upper end of the price band (£3900) you would be talking double room ensuite...

Ranmoor is that little further out, though given you'll be in the Law buildings won't make too much difference, and you're probably talking 20 minutes each way.

Any of them are good, it's just dependant on what you want to pay, and what you want. Which brings us on to your next question:

It is obviously useful to have en-suited facilities; however, from experience in my flat (of 6 people), none of the rooms have en suite, there is never any problem for the shower.

In our flat - we have 2 bathrooms: 1 Toilet, and the other being a Toilet / Shower room. Both with wash basins.

Most rooms you'll find have wash basins, shaving mirrors, and shaving lights/sockets in.

Yes. They only hoover, and clean your sink.
    They will only clean the floor surface area which they can move around.
    If however you don't want them to come in when they are due, simply leave a post-it note on your door.

Other than that they clean the corrider area, bathrooms, and clean the kitchen. They are not responsible for washing any left-over pots and pans.

No such thing exists.
    Access to some halls late at night is by swipe card access only. Obviously just for your security.
    Other than that if they lock the doors late at night, it's just a matter of ringing door bell to get the Warden (and theres always one on) to let you in.

£3900.08 would be for double room, en-suite, with a 31+7 week contract.

Rooms in halls tend to be identical size. (other than the double rooms).
    Rooms overlooking mainroad/grass - luck of draw, but be assured that where the halls are located, there is extremely high possibility that you'll see greenary.

They are well set back from Main Roads.

From Tapton, walking to Goodwin Sports Centre is all of a 10 minute walk. From the law building, a mere 5 minute walk down Northumberland Road.

The facilities are very MODERN, and plentiful, with us having our own swimming pool as well on the same complex.

S10health membership, for the 725 (unlimited use between 7AM and 5 PM in the week), for the year costs £120, and is good value for money, with access to the Saunas, Gym, Swimming Pool and Fitness classes.

If you want to be able to use it at anytime, "Peak Membership", the price jumps somewhat dramatically to £28 per month, or £308 a year (12 months for the price of 11) - and at this price I believe doesnt become worth while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)
    Tapton is the closest to the law building, but is only available for 31 weeks, meaning you'll be carting everything out at Xmas and Easter.

31+7 week contracts are useful for this purpose.

The location of every single hall at Sheffield Uni I would suggest is in nice surroundings.

On that note, Stephenson is probably the nicest set, and isn't too far away from the Endcliffe Student Village site, with Broomhill high street well positioned.

Prices are that little more, but bear in mind you are getting 31+7 weeks, and at the upper end of the price band (£3900) you would be talking double room ensuite...

Ranmoor is that little further out, though given you'll be in the Law buildings won't make too much difference, and you're probably talking 20 minutes each way.

Any of them are good, it's just dependant on what you want to pay, and what you want. Which brings us on to your next question:

It is obviously useful to have en-suited facilities; however, from experience in my flat (of 6 people), none of the rooms have en suite, there is never any problem for the shower.

In our flat - we have 2 bathrooms: 1 Toilet, and the other being a Toilet / Shower room. Both with wash basins.

Most rooms you'll find have wash basins, shaving mirrors, and shaving lights/sockets in.

Yes. They only hoover, and clean your sink.
    They will only clean the floor surface area which they can move around.
    If however you don't want them to come in when they are due, simply leave a post-it note on your door.

Other than that they clean the corrider area, bathrooms, and clean the kitchen. They are not responsible for washing any left-over pots and pans.

No such thing exists.
    Access to some halls late at night is by swipe card access only. Obviously just for your security.
    Other than that if they lock the doors late at night, it's just a matter of ringing door bell to get the Warden (and theres always one on) to let you in.

£3900.08 would be for double room, en-suite, with a 31+7 week contract.

Rooms in halls tend to be identical size. (other than the double rooms).
    Rooms overlooking mainroad/grass - luck of draw, but be assured that where the halls are located, there is extremely high possibility that you'll see greenary.

They are well set back from Main Roads.

From Tapton, walking to Goodwin Sports Centre is all of a 10 minute walk. From the law building, a mere 5 minute walk down Northumberland Road.

The facilities are very MODERN, and plentiful, with us having our own swimming pool as well on the same complex.

S10health membership, for the 725 (unlimited use between 7AM and 5 PM in the week), for the year costs £120, and is good value for money, with access to the Saunas, Gym, Swimming Pool and Fitness classes.

If you want to be able to use it at anytime, "Peak Membership", the price jumps somewhat dramatically to £28 per month, or £308 a year (12 months for the price of 11) - and at this price I believe doesnt become worth while.
    Thanks. I'm sure people have queried this before, but which in your opinion is better, self-catered or fully catered? The impression that I am getting from most people is that university food sucks, and most regret having to pay for food that they don't particuilarly want.

I think that my main choice based upon the advice given would probably be 'Tapton'. As it is affordable, I am purely basing the cost on my available student loan, and dont think that spending another £1000 for a double room with ensuite is particularly worth it, as spending on things such as books/stationary/other stuff could be more beneficial. Having said that, I'm still unsure which other halls I should include in my shortlist.

ReputationRep:
    University food sucks but I'm in self catered and there isnt the organised social life which exists in catered.
    We had a party in the kitchen upstairs in our block on monday and it wasnt that noisy and we got told to turn the music down and close the windows at just past 11 oclock. Its really quiet here which if you like that kind of thing is fine but I think I would have felt irritated and isolated if I was in selfcatered as an undergrad.
    If I was an undergrad at Sheffield I'd go for catered I think.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I'm sure people have queried this before, but which in your opinion is better, self-catered or fully catered? The impression that I am getting from most people is that university food sucks, and most regret having to pay for food that they don't particuilarly want.

I think that my main choice based upon the advice given would probably be 'Tapton'. As it is affordable, I am purely basing the cost on my available student loan, and dont think that spending another £1000 for a double room with ensuite is particularly worth it, as spending on things such as books/stationary/other stuff could be more beneficial. Having said that, I'm still unsure which other halls I should include in my shortlist.

SELF !

In all seriousness, if you are at all comfortable in thinking that you can cook something to look after yourself then self catering is the way to go, as you get to decide when, what, and even where you eat. The only down side is, you have to wash up afterwards, but that should be routine, and in any case, chances are you are going to have to cook in the 2nd and 3rd years anyway when you move into the private sector, so get into the routine !

The bear essentials are Pasta, Rice, Chicken Breast, Mince, Stock Cubes, and probably some cheese.

If you can be imaginative, and make your own stuff, for example Garlic Bread, rather than buying it, then this also is cheaper - as you don't have to pay for the fact that someone else has made it for you.
    (Baguette, Butter, Mixed Herbs, Garlic Puree).

Self catering accomodation, Endcliffe Vale, Wolfson, Woodvale, Crescent, all pleasent places, situated in Broomhill, where you can either walk down Eccy Road to Tesco, along Fulwood Road to Somerfield, or to Sorby Hall for the Londis store which sells essentials.

Crookesmoor House, is pretty useful being right opposite the Law building, though is more expensive, and you have to trek either into Crookes (Co-op) or Broomhill (Somerfield) to get food.

On the social side; the flats don't have JCRs like the Halls do, and this means that the ent's aren't organized for you, you tend to have to generate them (though theres nothing wrong with finding out when Earnshaw/Sorby JCR have their events and tagging along). All the bar facilities of the Halls are available for everyone to use, it isn't exclusive to the Hall residents.

ReputationRep:
    SELF !

In all seriousness, if you are at all comfortable in thinking that you can cook something to look after yourself then self catering is the way to go, as you get to decide when, what, and even where you eat. The only down side is, you have to wash up afterwards, but that should be routine, and in any case, chances are you are going to have to cook in the 2nd and 3rd years anyway when you move into the private sector, so get into the routine !

The bear essentials are Pasta, Rice, Chicken Breast, Mince, Stock Cubes, and probably some cheese.

If you can be imaginative, and make your own stuff, for example Garlic Bread, rather than buying it, then this also is cheaper - as you don't have to pay for the fact that someone else has made it for you.
    (Baguette, Butter, Mixed Herbs, Garlic Puree).

Self catering accomodation, Endcliffe Vale, Wolfson, Woodvale, Crescent, all pleasent places, situated in Broomhill, where you can either walk down Eccy Road to Tesco, along Fulwood Road to Somerfield, or to Sorby Hall for the Londis store which sells essentials.

Crookesmoor House, is pretty useful being right opposite the Law building, though is more expensive, and you have to trek either into Crookes (Co-op) or Broomhill (Somerfield) to get food.

On the social side; the flats don't have JCRs like the Halls do, and this means that the ent's aren't organized for you, you tend to have to generate them (though theres nothing wrong with finding out when Earnshaw/Sorby JCR have their events and tagging along). All the bar facilities of the Halls are available for everyone to use, it isn't exclusive to the Hall residents.
    Thanks you have been most helpful. One teeny weeny question though. With the 38 week contracts, it would mean that I can stay during easter as well as Xmas, I will probably stay there during Easter, as no doubt I'll be revising like hell for my exmas. Are the 38 term contracts popular, as I don't really wanna be spending my free time there, and finding that I'm the only resident there.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks you have been most helpful. One teeny weeny question though. With the 38 week contracts, it would mean that I can stay during easter as well as Xmas, I will probably stay there during Easter, as no doubt I'll be revising like hell for my exmas. Are the 38 term contracts popular, as I don't really wanna be spending my free time there, and finding that I'm the only resident there.
    The 31 + 7 week contracts means that you can leave the stuff in storage, lock things away in the wardrobe and such but you won't have access to the room.

31 weeks means that over Christmas and Easter your rooms have to be totally vacated.

38 weeks means that you will have access to rooms and facilities over Christmas and Easter.

What you will find with the 38 week contracts is that the majority of people come back off the 3 week breaks a week early to knuckle down properly and get back into the swing of things again, because after the first 12 weeks or whatever, before Christmas you get into the mode of "This is now home", and living out of a bag/box when you move back to your non-term time address does wear a bit thin after a while, so you move back.

For example this Easter, I'm moving back to north Nottinghamshire for 2 of the 3 weeks, and then cos I'm at the Manchester Evening News Arena on the 22nd April, I'll be back in Sheffield early in the 3rd week to move my clothes and a new load of food back in and settle down.

So in summary, with the 38 week contracts, most people other than the fully fledged international students, will go home for a couple of weeks during the 3 week breaks, but come back a week or so early.

I know I'll be fed up of "home" after two weeks; once the significance of seeing my family and friends has worn off I'll be ready to come back.

The many advantages of my new housing contract for the 2nd year starting on the 1st July; if I get fed up of home, I'll move back up to Sheffield.

ReputationRep:
    The 31 + 7 week contracts means that you can leave the stuff in storage, lock things away in the wardrobe and such but you won't have access to the room.

31 weeks means that over Christmas and Easter your rooms have to be totally vacated.

38 weeks means that you will have access to rooms and facilities over Christmas and Easter.

What you will find with the 38 week contracts is that the majority of people come back off the 3 week breaks a week early to knuckle down properly and get back into the swing of things again, because after the first 12 weeks or whatever, before Christmas you get into the mode of "This is now home", and living out of a bag/box when you move back to your non-term time address does wear a bit thin after a while, so you move back.

For example this Easter, I'm moving back to north Nottinghamshire for 2 of the 3 weeks, and then cos I'm at the Manchester Evening News Arena on the 22nd April, I'll be back in Sheffield early in the 3rd week to move my clothes and a new load of food back in and settle down.

So in summary, with the 38 week contracts, most people other than the fully fledged international students, will go home for a couple of weeks during the 3 week breaks, but come back a week or so early.

I know I'll be fed up of "home" after two weeks; once the significance of seeing my family and friends has worn off I'll be ready to come back.

The many advantages of my new housing contract for the 2nd year starting on the 1st July; if I get fed up of home, I'll move back up to Sheffield.
    So to summise, many students are really paying that extra 7 weeks, when really all they need is an extra 2?

Right that settled then. I am think that I am going to look for a 31 week contract, will they allow me to pay additionally for say another extra 2 weeks, or is it something I must contact them about.

I've just been on the Sheffield website looking at the semester dates, wow, 4 weeks for Xmas and 3 weeks for easter. Nice. Some extra time to revise.

ReputationRep:
    38 week contracts are definitely the best if you intend to stick around. I only went home for a week at xmas and a am going for 2 weeks at Easter if I was on a lesser contract I would be forced to stay away longer and have the inconvenience of moving out my stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    38 week contracts are definitely the best if you intend to stick around. I only went home for a week at xmas and a am going for 2 weeks at Easter if I was on a lesser contract I would be forced to stay away longer and have the inconvenience of moving out my stuff.
    OH NO!!! :confused: Don't know what to do. :eek: God this is hard.

ReputationRep:
    Expression, I would assume you are on the self-catered category, so roughly how much do you spend on food alone every week?

Do you usually cook or eat out?

ReputationRep:
    expression is catered I think. I'm self catered and I spend about £15 tops but I'm an ok cook so dont buy ready stuff I know some people who are selfcatered who spend at least £30 a week.
    It really depends where you are also because in town the mini supermarkets are very pricey.

ReputationRep:
    Just filled out my accomodation form online today after waiting flippin months for them to eventually send it. Stephenson it is.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.