Turn on thread page Beta

Sheffield Accomodation: Advice watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eunice)
    Expression, I would assume you are on the self-catered category, so roughly how much do you spend on food alone every week?

Do you usually cook or eat out?
    (Original post by vikivi)
    expression is catered I think. I'm self catered and I spend about £15 tops but I'm an ok cook so dont buy ready stuff I know some people who are selfcatered who spend at least £30 a week.
    It really depends where you are also because in town the mini supermarkets are very pricey
    Firstly Expression is self catered and can speak for himself .

Spending on food somewhere close to £18 per week - mainly on fresh meats, milk, bread and cheese.

And yes I normally cook - though there is no harm in telephoning Pizza Hut delivery once in a while as a treat.

Mini supermarkets such as Somerfield tend to be more expensive, because they know they can charge that much.

Which is why my food which was delivered today, was ordered online from ASDA.

Far easier, and less tempting to spend silly money on tempting bits and pieces as you walk past.

(Original post by Kingpong)
    Just filled out my accomodation form online today after waiting flippin months for them to eventually send it. Stephenson it is.
    Good luck to you, you should enjoy it there. The only hall I believe with both a pool room AND a snooker room.

None the less I have my subscription to Riley's Hunter's Bar costing a fiver for a year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)
    Firstly Expression is self catered and can speak for himself .

Spending on food somewhere close to £18 per week - mainly on fresh meats, milk, bread and cheese.

And yes I normally cook - though there is no harm in telephoning Pizza Hut delivery once in a while as a treat.

Mini supermarkets such as Somerfield tend to be more expensive, because they know they can charge that much.

Which is why my food which was delivered today, was ordered online from ASDA.

Far easier, and less tempting to spend silly money on tempting bits and pieces as you walk past.

Good luck to you, you should enjoy it there. The only hall I believe with both a pool room AND a snooker room.

None the less I have my subscription to Riley's Hunter's Bar costing a fiver for a year.
    Boy, filling in the online form felt somewhat complicated. Anyway finally deliberated over the matter and have chosen Tapton en-suite as my first choice. For some strange reason, there were preference boxes next to 'private' and 'self-catered' to which I allocated the numbers 2 and 3. Does this mean that I have mistakenly said that I would consider this type of accomodation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    I'm self catered and I spend about £15 tops but I'm an ok cook so dont buy ready stuff I know some people who are selfcatered who spend at least £30 a week.
    Wow... that's quite a nice piece of news. I always thought that catered is cheaper than self-catered Apparently, I guess I am wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Expression & Viviki, I am currently sorting out my finance, I would assume that both of you have finished your 1st Year in Sheffield, mind telling me how much you guys spend, less tuition fees, for the year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baby_Angelz)
    Expression & Viviki, I am currently sorting out my finance, I would assume that both of you have finished your 1st Year in Sheffield, mind telling me how much you guys spend, less tuition fees, for the year?
    £2277.48 for accomodation; and then around £35 a week for 38 weeks in food and ents.

Throw on some books, say £150 per year; plus Xmas and Birthday presents, it's probably close to £4200 a year.

ReputationRep:
    £2277.48 for accomodation; and then around £35 a week for 38 weeks in food and ents.

Throw on some books, say £150 per year; plus Xmas and Birthday presents, it's probably close to £4200 a year.
    Nod. Thanks a million.

ReputationRep:
    £2652.54 a year accom
    about £15 for food £20 tops for other stuff and about £300ish for me for books for the year, £120 ish for the gym for the year I think it was so probably between £4500 and £5000 per year taking into account all the extra stuff that you somehow spend such as train travel home etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    £2652.54 a year accom
    about £15 for food £20 tops for other stuff and about £300ish for me for books for the year, £120 ish for the gym for the year I think it was so probably between £4500 and £5000 per year taking into account all the extra stuff that you somehow spend such as train travel home etc.
    Thank you as well. I think i can make a rough estimate of about 12k pounds - 15k pounds per year based on what you and Expression said.

Thanks for the advices.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you as well. I think i can make a rough estimate of about 12k pounds - 15k pounds per year based on what you and Expression said.

Thanks for the advices.

12k ? £12,000 ?!?! What on earth for ? Where are you going ? What are you intending to spend so much a year on ?

ReputationRep:
    12k ? £12,000 ?!?! What on earth for ? Where are you going ? What are you intending to spend so much a year on ?
    I am a foreign student so tuition fees will be about 7 - 8 k pounds already

ReputationRep:
    This has been a really useful thread to read! Thank you all!

I received all the 'home from home' stuff this week! Sheffield is my insurance choice, as I'm not garunteed (sp?) accommodation would I be better choosing a less subscribed place? I'm definitly going for the self catered flats, I already have some kitchen stuff, I've been collecting! I've narrowed it down to Victoria House, Broad Lane Court and Mappin Court. All three seem very close to my department (Archaeology, I think its on West Street where it crosses with Mappin Street!) and a nice distance from the city centre. Any views/comments/advice for these three? In the booklet thing it says two of those three have a Network...what's that & will I miss it if I don't have one?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in broad lane. The network connection is an internet point in every room. Theres also a phone point where you can have a phone card to make cheap external calls and you can call others internally. You have to pay extra for the network connection whether you use it or not.
    I dont rate broad lane that highly I think its quite over priced. Its backs on to Sheffields redlight district and quite often there are a few ladies of the night on the corner outside. It can be quite noisy too because of people shouting in the night.
    Also I dont know what its like for undergrads but the postgrads are very quiet and there isnt much social life going on. Also single sex flats for which sucks big time, I'm not sure whether thats standard or just the case in my block. And there are only 3 washers and 3 driers in the laundrette for the whole of broad lane. And people set the fire alarms off ALL the time.
    It is really near archaeology though and central for town and its clean and the rooms arent that bad a size which are its plus points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie J)
    This has been a really useful thread to read! Thank you all!

I received all the 'home from home' stuff this week! Sheffield is my insurance choice, as I'm not garunteed (sp?) accommodation would I be better choosing a less subscribed place? I'm definitly going for the self catered flats, I already have some kitchen stuff, I've been collecting! I've narrowed it down to Victoria House, Broad Lane Court and Mappin Court. All three seem very close to my department (Archaeology, I think its on West Street where it crosses with Mappin Street!) and a nice distance from the city centre. Any views/comments/advice for these three? In the booklet thing it says two of those three have a Network...what's that & will I miss it if I don't have one?
    Viviki will be able to tell you if Broad Lane Court is any good or not - as she is there at the mo I believe.

Mappin Court and Broad Lane are both seemingly modern set-ups and should be OK.

Network connection, the thing that lets me on the internet at University, and is definately missed if you don't have it.

Even though the academic departments have their own computer labs, it's always a little tedious to have to go over there, and doesn't give scope to natter late at night on websites like this.

My opinion, if you have the chance to get a room with a network connection, get it, having a computer linked to the net is a vital tool to your studies.

ReputationRep:
    I am a foreign student so tuition fees will be about 7 - 8 k pounds already
    Nasty. It makes more sense now. I just thought you were going to be living a spectacular lifestyle !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    Boy, filling in the online form felt somewhat complicated. Anyway finally deliberated over the matter and have chosen Tapton en-suite as my first choice. For some strange reason, there were preference boxes next to 'private' and 'self-catered' to which I allocated the numbers 2 and 3. Does this mean that I have mistakenly said that I would consider this type of accomodation?
    Yeah, I was thinking that too, I'm sure when I filled it out last year it allowed you to give 3 halls in order of preference.

ReputationRep:
    Viviki will be able to tell you if Broad Lane Court is any good or not - as she is there at the mo I believe.

Mappin Court and Broad Lane are both seemingly modern set-ups and should be OK.

Network connection, the thing that lets me on the internet at University, and is definately missed if you don't have it.

Even though the academic departments have their own computer labs, it's always a little tedious to have to go over there, and doesn't give scope to natter late at night on websites like this.

My opinion, if you have the chance to get a room with a network connection, get it, having a computer linked to the net is a vital tool to your studies.
    Thanks both Expression and Viviki, both helpful!
    I don't really want the hassle or expence of traveling around the city so it's really important for me to be near the areas I'll be using the most, thats my main criteria for accomodation! I quite like the idea of Mappin Court but it as it has such a small intake I don't know how wise that would be as I'm not garunteed anything anyway, maybe Broad Lane would be better as it takes more?
    As for Network, I'd love to have internet access but I don't have a computer (but seriously considering saving up for one for uni) so I don't know if it would be worth me paying the extra whilst I still don't have one, but then I might buy one sometime in the year with the money saved by not having a Network...all confusing! Expression, you mentioned Mappin & Broad Lane as modern therefore OK, does it follow then that Victoria House is not so good as its older? I think that's the one with no network and is about £200 cheaper.
    Obviously other than the Archaeology Department, where else am I likely to need to be near, how far are they from the Mappin Court/Broad Lane Court/Victoria House. I'm BSc Archaeological Sciences if that helps...
    Thanks again,
    Katie J

ReputationRep:
    Thanks both Expression and Viviki, both helpful!
    I don't really want the hassle or expence of traveling around the city so it's really important for me to be near the areas I'll be using the most, thats my main criteria for accomodation! I quite like the idea of Mappin Court but it as it has such a small intake I don't know how wise that would be as I'm not garunteed anything anyway, maybe Broad Lane would be better as it takes more?
    As for Network, I'd love to have internet access but I don't have a computer (but seriously considering saving up for one for uni) so I don't know if it would be worth me paying the extra whilst I still don't have one, but then I might buy one sometime in the year with the money saved by not having a Network...all confusing! Expression, you mentioned Mappin & Broad Lane as modern therefore OK, does it follow then that Victoria House is not so good as its older? I think that's the one with no network and is about £200 cheaper.
    Obviously other than the Archaeology Department, where else am I likely to need to be near, how far are they from the Mappin Court/Broad Lane Court/Victoria House. I'm BSc Archaeological Sciences if that helps...
    Thanks again,
    Katie J
    All of the accomodations you have mentioned are no more than 10 minutes walk from the Archaeology building, which is just off West Street, opposite the Tesco at West Street Tram Stop.

To be fair, the only reason I didn't mention Victoria House, is that I haven't had any reason to visit that building, and have no first hand experience of it, HOWEVER, website does say that they were refurbed in 1997, with "spacious study bedrooms, and modern, well designed kitchens" and are very popular, with UG's, particularly for the St Georges/Frederick Mappin/Portabello/Henry Stephenson buildings.
    (Which is where the Level One Archaeology & Prehistoric dept. classes are held).

According to: http://www.shef.ac.uk/housing/self_c...ats_rents.html all Victoria House, Broad Lane Court, and Mappin Court have data connection points in your room, which if you can save up for a bog standard computer is really useful, but as I've said, you aren't very far from the academic dept's (and St Georges Library) from any of those locations, and so if you want to use a computer there should be somewhere where you can use them.

Other places you'll commonly use is the Union building, which is 10 minutes away, and the city centre, 10 minute walk down West Street.

ReputationRep:
    All of the accomodations you have mentioned are no more than 10 minutes walk from the Archaeology building, which is just off West Street, opposite the Tesco at West Street Tram Stop.

To be fair, the only reason I didn't mention Victoria House, is that I haven't had any reason to visit that building, and have no first hand experience of it, HOWEVER, website does say that they were refurbed in 1997, with "spacious study bedrooms, and modern, well designed kitchens" and are very popular, with UG's, particularly for the St Georges/Frederick Mappin/Portabello/Henry Stephenson buildings.
    (Which is where the Level One Archaeology & Prehistoric dept. classes are held).

According to: http://www.shef.ac.uk/housing/self_c...ats_rents.html all Victoria House, Broad Lane Court, and Mappin Court have data connection points in your room, which if you can save up for a bog standard computer is really useful, but as I've said, you aren't very far from the academic dept's (and St Georges Library) from any of those locations, and so if you want to use a computer there should be somewhere where you can use them.

Other places you'll commonly use is the Union building, which is 10 minutes away, and the city centre, 10 minute walk down West Street.
    That's fantastic, thank you!! One final thing, what's is the difference between the data & network points? Is the data one just to an internal itranet type thing? Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    That's fantastic, thank you!! One final thing, what's is the difference between the data & network points? Is the data one just to an internal itranet type thing? Thanks again.
    Sorry. Two terms are interchangable.

It gets you network access, which allows you access to both the intra and inter-nets.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry. Two terms are interchangable.

It gets you network access, which allows you access to both the intra and inter-nets.
    Don't worry, it wasn't your terminology that confused me, it's got them as two separate things in the 'home from home' guide. I don't think it really matters anyway. I'm going to put Mappin Court as my top preference! Thanks for all your help, Katie J

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.