Turn on thread page Beta

Sheffield Accomodation: Advice watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I think Mappin tends to have quite a few engineering students in it. i would presume there would also be archaeology because the building is pretty much opposite. Victoria House doesnt have phones in every room its one phoneline per flat the others have both network connection and phoneline. It is slightly annoying having to pay the network charge even if you dont have a computer but it is very good to use and I find the network brilliant for study and far better than having to use computer rooms. Although there is a 23hr computer room on Mappin street so you wouldnt have far to walk Katie.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone, I filled it in last night & did go for Mappin Court! I got really confused by the form so expect to end up in Leeds or something by accident!

ReputationRep:
    Viviki do u know why they haven't mentioned the en-suites at Broad Lane in this year's booklet?

ReputationRep:
    no idea it was definitely in last years booklet for broadlane court and on the form as 1 en suite per flat. I think that its highly unlikely that they are going to do away with them so it might be worth emailing the accommodation office to ask about them. I doubt that postgrads get preferential treatment for them but they are highly sought after so its def worth checking.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I thought they might have just given them to post grads.
    When I filled in the form, I mentioned that I'd like an en-suite if there is one, but they had told me a while back that there would be 'some changes' concerning en-suites in self catering.

ReputationRep:
    hey folks.this has been a very useful thread and its helped narrow down my choice for accom to either tapton or stephenson. il be doing dentistry but cant really work out the distance between these halls and the dental school from the map in the guide. how long would it take to walk ?anyone know?dont really want to be spending too much on travel expenses etc.
    also are they single sex flats or mixed?doesnt tell you much about anything in the guide.

m xx

ReputationRep:
    I dont know about all the flats but mine is single sex. As for distances why not try putting the postcodes into a travel planner like the rac one to see how far in distance it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    It is slightly annoying having to pay the network charge even if you dont have a computer
    Correct me if I am wrong, does this means that you have to pay for the internet usage in your room? I would think it's included in the accomodation fees?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baby_Angelz)
    Correct me if I am wrong, does this means that you have to pay for the internet usage in your room? I would think it's included in the accomodation fees?
    £100

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal)
    £100
    £100 per annum or per sem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baby_Angelz)
    £100 per annum or per sem?
    Per annum. You also have to pay the JCB subscription of £50 if you are going fully catered. Which halls are you planning on going to?

ReputationRep:
    The £100 per annum is a standard charge for the connection. If its in your room you have to pay for it whether you use it or not. Its pretty speed so def worth the money if you have a computer.

ReputationRep:
    Hey all....I've accepted sheffield to do psychology but am taking a gap year....does anyone know when i get to choose my accomodation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal)
    You also have to pay the JCB subscription of £50 if you are going fully catered. Which halls are you planning on going to?
    what's JCB? junior committee...?

ReputationRep:
    Hey... well, halls of residence wise, ive managed to narrow it down to a few... but could anyone tell me what Halifax Hall is like? Its looks very kool in the picture! (I wasnt shown any accomodation on my Open Day)

Also, is there realy any point me putting my preferences down? I mean... Sheff will be my insurance and surely it won't be likely that i'll get considered for anything anyway??

Any info/ help would be welcome!

ReputationRep:
    Me again! Do you have to put a preference down for self catering flats and houses as well?
    If so, could you tell me anymore more info on any of the following:

Crescent flats
    Mappin COurt
    Woodvale Falts
    Endcliffe Vale falts
    Crewe Flats

... what are the facilities like? which is most prettiest? and how far from the psych dept?

ReputationRep:
    I've seen Mappin and Endcliffe Vale.
    Mappin is near West Street, Endcliffe Vale...in Endcliffle - it's quite nice actually, the rooms are decent.

No en-suites in either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *skye*)
    Hey... well, halls of residence wise, ive managed to narrow it down to a few... but could anyone tell me what Halifax Hall is like? Its looks very kool in the picture! (I wasnt shown any accomodation on my Open Day)

Also, is there realy any point me putting my preferences down? I mean... Sheff will be my insurance and surely it won't be likely that i'll get considered for anything anyway??

Any info/ help would be welcome!
    sorry i don't know anything about self-catering.
    but i visited halifax hall on my open day, it seemed q nice but its not all the old bit i dont think. the bar/dining room/communal areas all looked ok, the rooms looked like any others.but it has a longer contract=more money!

i think you might as well put your preferences - if you don't & you have to go to sheff, you'll prob be put in the worst ones if they think you don't care!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amyitfc)
    sorry i don't know anything about self-catering.
    but i visited halifax hall on my open day, it seemed q nice but its not all the old bit i dont think. the bar/dining room/communal areas all looked ok, the rooms looked like any others.but it has a longer contract=more money!

i think you might as well put your preferences - if you don't & you have to go to sheff, you'll prob be put in the worst ones if they think you don't care!
    Yeh... i suppose... I have no idea what to pick tho! (i like nice scenery)Im torn between Stephenson Hall and Halifax Hall... they sound pretty good... but what what I've seen here, Stephenson is v popular... is there any point me putting that down as a preference esp as I'm an insurance candidate? So therefore im probably not gonna get in! lol... What do u think? Does anyone know the distances from the psych dept? Plus, im not keen on the opssible prospect of having to share a room... is that likely?

Also, this might sound odd but the picture on p23 in the "Home from Home" booklet thing... where is that of, just out of interest?

ReputationRep:
    I recieved my Booklet last week, For self catered Crookesmore House looks really nice.. but only 47 places? Hmm.. as for Halls can't really decide between Halifax, Tapton, Stephenson and Sorby (lol.. so pretty much most of them!) Think I need to do a more research into it.. I don't mind going into self-catered.. or catered!.. arghh! I hate decisions!!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.