Turn on thread page Beta

Sheffield Accomodation: Advice watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I just used the tried and tested pot-luck method.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I've narrowed it down.. but I'm still not sure whether to go for halls or catered. If I do go for Halls then I think I'll Stephenson. If not then I don't know whether to go for Woodvale Flats or Crookesmoore in self-catered.

Crookesmoore used to be a church.. is this a good or bad thing? And also only space for 47 people.. do you think that would getting too claustrophobic? It's right opposite the Law Department which is my main reason for choosing it.

ReputationRep:
    I havent seen inside Crookesmoor but it looks gorgeous from the outside. I dont think that one looks spooky. St Georges which is also a converted church creeps me out but Crookesmoor doesnt.
    Its right opposite the law dept which is an advantage for seminars and the library but I would imagine that undergrads will still have lectures in the octagon (building next to the union) next year. The lecture theatres in the crookesmoor building are too small for the amount of people on the course so you will still have to walk those days.
    47 is quite cosy because you will get to know everyone, in broad lane there are several blocks but I only know people in my block.

I nearly went for the wardens job in crookesmoor for next year actually but I decided its too much hassle lol.

ReputationRep:
    I've made my final decision: Crookesmore- Self-catered. :cool:

I really hope I get a place there since it's not that big and UCL ( :mad: ) still haven't got back to me so I can't send off any accomodation info to Sheffield.

Do I still have to pick a Hall of Residence even if I don't want to go there?

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for Tapton Hall!

ReputationRep:
    Cool, what subject have you applied for? Tapton or Stephenson would have been my choice if I had chosen Halls.

Does Tapton allow you to at least store your stuff somewhere during xmas/easter? Or do you have to take everything home with you?

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for medicine. Tapton is the only hall which does not allow storage over christmas and easter tho! I really liked it, had lovely gardens + the rooms looked ok. It has a big ensuite block too. Stephenson is nice, but has a reputation for being quite 'public school based' depends if you like that sort of thing really! What have you applied for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sapphira)
    I've applied for medicine. Tapton is the only hall which does not allow storage over christmas and easter tho! I really liked it, had lovely gardens + the rooms looked ok. It has a big ensuite block too. Stephenson is nice, but has a reputation for being quite 'public school based' depends if you like that sort of thing really! What have you applied for?
    nooo just as i had been reassured!!! i've applied to stephenson & am really hoping that it isnt like this (will feel a bit of an outcast)! although on a really old thread someone said that tapton was more renound for it than stevo.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt worry, a lot of its probably just rivalry - Stephenson is one of the more popular halls, maybe people who dont get it **** it off cos they're jealous?

ReputationRep:
    My first choice is definitely Tapton halls, as it is located really close to the law building. However I think that is quite remote from the entertainments on offer, having said that, the gym is really close.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sapphira)
    I wouldnt worry, a lot of its probably just rivalry - Stephenson is one of the more popular halls, maybe people who dont get it **** it off cos they're jealous?
    true i guess. i suppose theres just more private sch ppl in stevo & tapton cos they offer ensuite.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.