Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    im measuring gradient drop in mm/m a value of 0.1 is therefore 1mm per m ... right ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHL)
    im measuring gradient drop in mm/m a value of 0.1 is therefore 1mm per m ... right ?
    If its decreasing, shouldn't 'm' as in Y=MX+C be negative.

ReputationRep:
    ??????? ;-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHL)
    do you mean mm per metre?

if it is wouldn't 0.1 be 100mm...

ReputationRep:
    ok thx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)
    do you mean mm per metre?

if it is wouldn't 0.1 be 100mm...

yeah the only problem is i have to plot a graph with my figures on and like 10 out of my 11 figures are all 0.1 , 0.4 , 0.7 , 0.9 etc but one of them is 30 so how the hell do i plot a scale on graph paper to account for the 30 figure and include all the others?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHL)
    Put both in metres:

0.0001/1

the units cancel and so your gradient is simply 0.0001
    I think.

ReputationRep:
    hm ?

ReputationRep:
    read my later posts to see the prob , not the first thats sorted now

'problem is i have to plot a graph with my figures on and like 10 out of my 11 figures are all 0.1 , 0.4 , 0.7 , 0.9 etc but one of them is 30 so how the hell do i plot a scale on graph paper to account for the 30 figure and include all the others? '

ReputationRep:
    Well a gradient is the ratio of how one thing changes to another, like on a v/t graph acceleration is how v changes with respect to t. So with two distances, the gradient will be either 0.1mm/1m, or 0.0001m/1m.
    The units cancel, so you can express the gradient as a ratio alone.

That's what came springing to mind when I read what you wrote.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but my problem now is gettin a graph scale that will include 0.6 mm/m , 0.5 mm/m results etc amd a 30 mm/m, im totally clueless

ReputationRep:
    hellllllllllllllp meh
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by CHL)
    hellllllllllllllp meh
    Can't you use a semi-logartithmic graph paper?

ReputationRep:
    whats that ? Seems abit silly to have huge graph paper just to fit 1 of my 11 values ?

- I was intending to scattergraph do u think its just worth scrapping that due to scale problems and doing them in barchart and just put the exactly value str8 in for each gradient and then compare it with velocity that way ?

*grumble*

with logarithmic graph paper you can put large values and small values on the same scale without making them look stupidly stupid. This is an example of semi-logarithmic graph paper.

ReputationRep:
    how does that work exactly then ?

it works by having a constant length on the graph paper equal to a constant ratio of the data. conventional graph paper has constant lengths on the graph equal to constant arithmetic progressions of the data. on them, the numbers 0-10 would take up (for example) 5cm, the numbers 10-20 another 5cm, the numbers 20-30 another 5 cm, etc. but on a log graph, if the numbers 0-10 take up 5cm, the numbers 10-100 will take up 5cm, as will the numbers 100-1000, 1000-10000, etc, and the numbers 1-0.1, 0.1-0.01, 0.001 to 0.0001, etc. this means you can have different orders of magnitude (in your case, 0.1-1.0 and 10-100) close by, and fitting on the same graph.

ReputationRep:
    ok thanks alot - I'll have a search round for it today in local stationaries.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.