The Student Room Group

Is there a way to get into law school without A levels?

I left school last June with the worst GCSEs ever:
RE - E
Travel and tourism BTEC - Pass
Art BTEC - Pass
English - C
Science BTEC - Pass
Business studies - level 1 (I shouldn't even have got that because I rarely attended lessons)
Media - G (Didn't attend the exam because I 'forgot')
Maths - E
These grades are down to my social anxiety/depression, I hardly went to school because I felt like it was the end of the world, I was seriously agoraphobic and would not leave the house at all. My mom didn't even know I was wagging most of the time because I became so good at hiding around the house.
Basically since June I've been looking high and low to find ways to retake my 5 GCSEs so that I can get to do A levels, but I'm just realizing that I'm running out of time and my ultimate career goal is to become a lawyer/solicitor. My plan was to retake the 5 gcses then do my a levels and then go to university from there, but I've realized how LONG and expensive that could be, is there no alternative way to do this? Like a course that will get me accepted into law school without a levels? I need a solution before September because that's when I'm hoping to enroll.
Reply 1
Yea win the lottery...
Original post by Syed97
Yea win the lottery...

Gee thanks, that's such helpful advice. Not pointless at all.
Original post by LethargicApathy
Gee thanks, that's such helpful advice. Not pointless at all.

There are alternatives to A Levels, as in other qualifications but realistically if you want to go to Law school you need to get some qualifications.

Other than that, it is pretty much find a position in a law firm and try and work your way up and get them to train you along the way.

You could start as an Office Junior, then move onto Legal Secretary, Paralegal, Legal Executive etc.

However this would also take many years, and quite a bit of luck. To find an employer willing to help train you along this path would be quite competitive, but it is definitely an alternative.
Reply 4
Yup. My mum left school after her O-levels, and did an Open University law degree as a mature student many years later. She's now working as a solicitor at a successful local law firm. So it's definitely possible.

But she did have the advantage of her dad being a senior partner at the firm, which probably helped with getting the job - I imagine a "traditional" degree would be better-respected. (I'm pretty sure he never even had a degree at all, and took some other route, but that was in the '50s so it's probably not the same now.)

That probably isn't what you're looking for. But yes, it is possible.
Reply 5
why are you short on time? just study for your GCSE's at home at your own pace and once you are ready take the exam externally. once you've got your solid gcse grades, move onto a levels at a college. if you want you could do part time college and do this - 1 year per a level, part time job to get money to pay for the external gcse's you took and save up for university or pay for tuition. i am sorry to say that you have screwed up and there is no real way to fix it up in a way that would enable you to enroll before september; it is going to take time.
You could always go to a local city college and resit your 5 GCSEs (if you work really hard you can probably get them done in a year). Then go on to do a levels and then a degree. It would only leave you a year (possibly two if you're already in 'year 12') behind. Let's face it, it's unlikely you'll get into a top end university unless you find somewhere that'll let you sit 8-10 academic GCSEs (which will be difficult seeing as other than schools most colleges only offer a few out of maths, English, languages, humanities and sciences) and basically redo your upper-secondary schooling at a college and enter as a mature student at university later. Although, baring in mind when you turn 19 you'll have to start paying for your education in GCSEs and a levels (I think).

As mentioned above, another route could be an apprenticeship, however, that's a very competitive field and you'll most likely need to have decent connections/experience (you could always find work experience whilst resitting GCSEs in order to build you CV to make you more competitive for an apprenticeship - I'd probably do that).

Another idea, could be a diploma? I found this at one college http://www.cityplym.ac.uk/courses/legal-executives it doesn't have any requirements to sign up and it could give you a foot in for any apprenticeship/legal profession whilst doing work experience at the same time. It might not get you straight to the top, but it may give you a couple of steps on your way.
Thank you all very much.
Reply 8
Original post by dendodge
Yup. My mum left school after her O-levels, and did an Open University law degree as a mature student many years later. She's now working as a solicitor at a successful local law firm. So it's definitely possible.

But she did have the advantage of her dad being a senior partner at the firm, which probably helped with getting the job - I imagine a "traditional" degree would be better-respected. (I'm pretty sure he never even had a degree at all, and took some other route, but that was in the '50s so it's probably not the same now.)

That probably isn't what you're looking for. But yes, it is possible.

That's a definitely one route to explore - get yourself adopted by a senior partner.
Reply 9
I would suggest looking into apprenticeships at law firms that sometimes accept candidates without a levels. However unfortunately most will want you to have been in education until a2. I'd still recommend looking though. Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ExWunderkind
There are alternatives to A Levels, as in other qualifications but realistically if you want to go to Law school you need to get some qualifications.

Other than that, it is pretty much find a position in a law firm and try and work your way up and get them to train you along the way.

You could start as an Office Junior, then move onto Legal Secretary, Paralegal, Legal Executive etc.

However this would also take many years, and quite a bit of luck. To find an employer willing to help train you along this path would be quite competitive, but it is definitely an alternative.

this post is so helpful. i am currently employed as a Intellectual Property Officer at a Law firm. I used to be a Legal Secretary for 4 years. i am now looking forward to obtaining a law degree, but i do not have A Levels. # CaribbeanLife

Quick Reply

Latest