The Student Room Group

Leave Cambridge with Bachelors in Chem Eng to do Masters elsewhere?

So I'm currently studying chemical engineering at Cambridge in my third year. Up until now it's been expected that I carry on for an extra year to leave with an MEng, but honestly I've grown very tired both with Cambridge and my course. I'm considering collecting my BA at the end of this year and applying to a Masters elsewhere, probably in materials science or something related. However, I could imagine employers in the future looking at my CV and seeing that I dropped down to a slightly less reputable university and looking at it as a cop-out (which it absolutely is).

Anyone got any advice? I'm interested not only in the issue of leaving Cambridge, but also on doing a Masters in a somewhat different field. Has anyone done something similar?
Original post by Nozkin
So I'm currently studying chemical engineering at Cambridge in my third year. Up until now it's been expected that I carry on for an extra year to leave with an MEng, but honestly I've grown very tired both with Cambridge and my course. I'm considering collecting my BA at the end of this year and applying to a Masters elsewhere, probably in materials science or something related. However, I could imagine employers in the future looking at my CV and seeing that I dropped down to a slightly less reputable university and looking at it as a cop-out (which it absolutely is).

Anyone got any advice? I'm interested not only in the issue of leaving Cambridge, but also on doing a Masters in a somewhat different field. Has anyone done something similar?

I think the thing that would stop me would be the finance of the whole thing, as far as I understand a masters as part of a four year course enables you to receive student finance, an independent masters does not ( and potentially costs a lot more - though I am not entirely clear on this) - essentially can you afford to self fund a masters, my friend said hers was expected to cost her £20,000 including living costs, and when she couldn't find funding she had to stop her application.
Reply 2
Original post by dotty_but_good
I think the thing that would stop me would be the finance of the whole thing, as far as I understand a masters as part of a four year course enables you to receive student finance, an independent masters does not ( and potentially costs a lot more - though I am not entirely clear on this) - essentially can you afford to self fund a masters, my friend said hers was expected to cost her £20,000 including living costs, and when she couldn't find funding she had to stop her application.

Yeah that is a factor I haven't considered much yet that probably needs a lot more thinking about. On average most of the masters I've been looking at have been a couple of grand more expensive than my current tuition. I've looked briefly into a Career Development Loan, but honestly I have no idea how easy that is to get a hold of. Thanks for replying.
Reply 3
Original post by Nozkin

If you cash in your grade now you'll have a BEng not BA. It's perfectly fine that you want to do a masters somewhere else however the only problem is funding the easiest way to get it is apply for scholarships that the institution of chem engineers offer or another way of doing it is working for a company there are a lot of companies that take on BEng graduates and pay for them to do a masters depending on what field you get into to. If you are disliking it that much then my advice would be just graduate with a BEng and work at some company where you'll save up for your masters or as I mentioned the company may pay for you!
Reply 4
Original post by a10
If you cash in your grade now you'll have a BEng not BA. It's perfectly fine that you want to do a masters somewhere else however the only problem is funding the easiest way to get it is apply for scholarships that the institution of chem engineers offer or another way of doing it is working for a company there are a lot of companies that take on BEng graduates and pay for them to do a masters depending on what field you get into to. If you are disliking it that much then my advice would be just graduate with a BEng and work at some company where you'll save up for your masters or as I mentioned the company may pay for you!

Cambridge calls all bachelor's BAs because in some ways we're completely daft.
I'm not sure I like the idea of going out to face the real world this year; I don't think I'm particularly fed up with education in general, just the specific education I'm currently receiving. Not to mention all the good graduate programs are past deadlines by now. I really should have considered this earlier.
Reply 5
Original post by Nozkin
Cambridge calls all bachelor's BAs because in some ways we're completely daft.
I'm not sure I like the idea of going out to face the real world this year; I don't think I'm particularly fed up with education in general, just the specific education I'm currently receiving. Not to mention all the good graduate programs are past deadlines by now. I really should have considered this earlier.

Ohhh that's strange first time I here of an engineering classification being a BA. Apply for funding from the institution of chem engineers u may be able to get help from them! If all fails then depending on how you feel u can either leave with a BEng and take a holiday or something while you wait for the grad wibdows to open or you can stay and just finish the MEng.
Original post by Nozkin

Another thing that occurred to me is that fourth year is quite different to the others because it is much more project based and less learning so it might suit you better / you may not have to come into contact with certain people in the department who are a pain.

Quick Reply

Latest