The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Finance, Accounting and Management at University of Nottingham!

I've got a conditional offer for this course at Nottingham, I was just wondering if anybody else has to?? Or if anyone knows how good the reputation of the university is for this course?? I'm thinking of firming but I'm torn between all of my choices, all of which I have conditionals for Accounting/Accounting and Finance (Nottingham, Manchester, Lancaster, Northumbria and York)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cjexx
I've got a conditional offer for this course at Nottingham, I was just wondering if anybody else has to?? Or if anyone knows how good the reputation of the university is for this course?? I'm thinking of firming but I'm torn between all of my choices, all of which I have conditionals for Accounting/Accounting and Finance (Nottingham, Manchester, Lancaster, Northumbria and York)

Posted from TSR Mobile

What is your grade offer?
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by cjexx

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be honest, my selection is pretty similar to yours. I've got an unconditional from Nottingham
(Economics) and York (Econ and Math) as well as a conditional from Lancaster (Econ and Math) with level 3 or above from STEP I test as a condition. Right now I might forgo Lancaster since I think I can't archive that condition.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
:bump:
i firmed this course~!

feeling quite nervous though because I havent done maths A level and finance especially is a lot of maths...
Would really like to talk to people who are currently on the course but there doesnt seem to be any on TSR :frown:
Original post by cjexx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had AAB offers from York Sheffield Leeds and NOttingham

All very similar in stature and reputation. I think at the end of the day, Nottingham and York will be viewed slightly higher than the rest, maybe Manchester as well, by prospective employers. But really go to the one you like the sound of and think youll enjoy the most!
Unconditional for this which is nice

Was thinking of switching to Industrial econ but I'm happy with this course!

Quite a large intake-200 people or so which is nice!- I was expecting more like 70 lol
Original post by mandem2k11
I had AAB offers from York Sheffield Leeds and NOttingham

All very similar in stature and reputation. I think at the end of the day, Nottingham and York will be viewed slightly higher than the rest, maybe Manchester as well, by prospective employers. But really go to the one you like the sound of and think youll enjoy the most!

You doing this course then? :smile:

I know two people who were on a gap year who's doing this course as well as myself. Anyone know when the course actually starts? UCAS got down 23rd Sept but I've been hearing things like it starts a week earlier due to Freshers?
Original post by Tomatochuckers
You doing this course then? :smile:

I know two people who were on a gap year who's doing this course as well as myself. Anyone know when the course actually starts? UCAS got down 23rd Sept but I've been hearing things like it starts a week earlier due to Freshers?

Ah mines is AAB for Politics and firmed Nottingham. Freshers starts 23rd, you have a week of freshers (we all know what that entails) and also a few introductary lectures durign that week. Then teaching of the course begins on the 30th

heres the fresher group, can find people doing your course, ask questions, people in same accomodation, fresher events and also they have individual JCR commitees for fresher events etc for each hall... which can also be found in this group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/492882774105402/
Original post by mandem2k11
Ah mines is AAB for Politics and firmed Nottingham. Freshers starts 23rd, you have a week of freshers (we all know what that entails) and also a few introductary lectures durign that week. Then teaching of the course begins on the 30th

heres the fresher group, can find people doing your course, ask questions, people in same accomodation, fresher events and also they have individual JCR commitees for fresher events etc for each hall... which can also be found in this group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/492882774105402/

Ah nice, thanks for the link as well

Have you visited the university yet? I couldn't make two of the business school open days due to work but I'm going to make a visit over the Summer What's your impressions of the city?
Ah nice, thanks for the link as well

Have you visited the university yet? I couldn't make two of the business school open days due to work but I'm going to make a visit over the Summer What's your impressions of the city?

Nope i havent although i live in Manchester and everyone ive spoken to (i know a LOT of people who been uni there, some 1st year some 2nd some who finished!) all say its practically the same in terms of nightlife, crime, people friendliness , cost of living etc

Also the campus is apparently amazing!
Original post by cjexx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you end up firming this in the end?
And if so, do you know anyone doing this course? I know 2 others in person and 2 online.
Reply 11
I looked at this place but a few things really turned me off.

1) Received uni charter in 1948 only but portends to have been the UoN since 1798 no less !

2) 30k + students in a town that isn't even 300,000 population ? Hmm sounds like senseless overcrowding to me.

3) Lots of overseas expansion which does not look a good fit to me. I mean how many Brits would really care if the university of ningpo set up in UK ? might as well be poo poo right, same with Nottingham in China just looks so desperate.

I think AEOTD, attitude is suspicious and quality may not be half as good as they say. Very RG2 in my view..

Forgot to add it's UK's gun crime capital ! have fun ban bang ! LOL
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zenomorph
I looked at this place but a few things really turned me off.

1) Received uni charter in 1948 only but portends to have been the UoN since 1798 no less !

2) 30k + students in a town that isn't even 300,000 population ? Hmm sounds like senseless overcrowding to me.

3) Lots of overseas expansion which does not look a good fit to me. I mean how many Brits would really care if the university of ningpo set up in UK ? might as well be poo poo right, same with Nottingham in China just looks so desperate.

I think AEOTD, attitude is suspicious and quality may not be half as good as they say. Very RG2 in my view..

Are you talking about just the uni or the actual course as well?
1) No idea about this, can't say I or many others care either
2) Haven't heard any issues about this
3) I disagree. I'd imagine it is quite useful for the business school at least and employers value experience abroad.
The uni has a good reputation, good careers service and a good quality of teaching for my course. I have seen previous students land jobs before me which I would like to get as well and there are a large range of societies which I can use to make me a well rounded individual. These are all I really care about to be honest.
Reply 13
Are you talking about just the uni or the actual course as well?
1) No idea about this, can't say I or many others care either
2) Haven't heard any issues about this
3) I disagree. I'd imagine it is quite useful for the business school at least and employers value experience abroad.
The uni has a good reputation, good careers service and a good quality of teaching for my course. I have seen previous students land jobs before me which I would like to get as well and there are a large range of societies which I can use to make me a well rounded individual. These are all I really care about to be honest.

1) however in 1948 the University was granted its Royal Charter, which endowed it with university status and gave it the power to confer degrees in its own name as[24] The University of Nottingham. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_nottingham

Well I dare say now you know.

1) Whether you care or not is not relevant. The key point here is why does it seem that NU is so deperately trying to cover up its past and its charter date and present a distorted view of itself as an ancient ?

It could be seen as very misrepresentative.

2) Haven't heard or willfully denying ?

3) A business school based in Nottingham ? do you even know what a BSchool is ? yeah right.

Good rep, according to who? you ? excuse me but I will take students views about their own places as a wee bit biased. I think you should let the people decide the rep; whether good bad or ugly.
1) however in 1948 the University was granted its Royal Charter, which endowed it with university status and gave it the power to confer degrees in its own name as[24] The University of Nottingham. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_nottingham

Well I dare say now you know.

1) Whether you care or not is not relevant. The key point here is why does it seem that NU is so deperately trying to cover up its past and its charter date and present a distorted view of itself as an ancient ?

It could be seen as very misrepresentative.

2) Haven't heard or willfully denying ?

3) A business school based in Nottingham ? do you even know what a BSchool is ? yeah right.

Good rep, according to who? you ? excuse me but I will take students views about their own places as a wee bit biased. I think you should let the people decide the rep; whether good bad or ugly.

Morning,

1) I don't know enough about this matter. You may be right but even if you are I doubt this is a deal-breaker for many people

2) Why would I be 'willfully denying' it? If there was a problem I would state it

3) Nottingham University Business School (clue is in the name bud) is one of the academic departments which make up the university.

4) It is fairly well represented in finance. Looks like the employers have already decided.

So, turn that frown upside down
Reply 15
Morning,

1) I don't know enough about this matter. You may be right but even if you are I doubt this is a deal-breaker for many people

2) Why would I be 'willfully denying' it? If there was a problem I would state it

3) Nottingham University Business School (clue is in the name bud) is one of the academic departments which make up the university.

4) It is fairly well represented in finance. Looks like the employers have already decided.

So, turn that frown upside down

1) Again willful denial. NU was founded as NU in 1948 - a modern post war university. You've been presented directly with the source. Get over it.

2) How would you ' know ' if there was a problem ? you are 1 out of 30,000. What a daft statement.

3) That makes it even worse neither the city or the uni has any pedigree or history in finance. I remind you that Notts is but a small minor city in the north of England.

You mean its well represented in back office roles ? Oh wow, so what, so is UWE. Those are just glorified admin roles.
1) Again willful denial. NU was founded as NU in 1948 - a modern post war university. You've been presented directly with the source. Get over it.

2) How would you ' know ' if there was a problem ? you are 1 out of 30,000. What a daft statement.

3) That makes it even worse neither the city or the uni has any pedigree or history in finance. I remind you that Notts is but a small minor city in the north of England.

You mean its well represented in back office roles ? Oh wow, so what, so is UWE. Those are just glorified admin roles.

:banana2:
Reply 17
:banana2:

Oh right.

No intelligent answers so that's all you got, NU student / grad by any chance ? LOL
Reply 18
can anyone share the study materials, books etc. availability of Under Graduate in Finance,Accounting and Management at University of Nottingham. I would like to browse the books,study material between now and I land up to join the Fresher's Week.

Morning, I'm awake enough to give you a serious answer now.

1) What I meant by my previous comment: I was not sure of how Uni charters work, I can't say for 100% if what you were telling me was actually correct. For now, you may be right and if you are I honestly don't care. Therefore, I have nothing to get over.

2) I haven't heard anyone complain about this. Your anecdotal evidence and subjective opinions are just as valuable or unhelpful as mine

3) So what if the city itself doesn't have a pedigree for finance? I am not planning to work in Nottingham. Nottingham is in the midlands by the way.

As for the uni/ business school, I personally think it is a good, but not the best institution if you want to land a job in investment banking for example. Nevertheless, the individual is much more important than the university they attended.

You have demonstrated a poor understanding of back office roles.

Yes I will most likely be studying the BA finance, accounting and management course this September and expect to do well from there. We should keep this thread to things FAM related instead of discussing our views on the uni or the business school so if you want to reply do so on my wall.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending