Tall girls: Do you feel pressured into being skinny? Watch

Octohedral
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by 2ndClass)
It looks so weird when I see these guys with their lanky girlfriends and they're so much shorter than them. It's looks sooooo emasculating like she's leading the way and they're following behind.....but hey it's their life in the end.
Sadly I agree with you.

As a 5ft11 girl who's slightly overweight I often feel like a giant. At school (all girls) it was great, as I could see over everybody's head, but it does make you awkward seeing girls half your size with their boyfriends and thinking the only thing between you and that is the physical height you were born with. The weight I can lose, and 5ft11 isn't too bad, but it does cut out a large proportion of the male population.
elitemodella
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Laura1234567890)
ah i know right
you always want what can't have too
i bet if i was short and "curvy" i would be like oh why can't i be tall and slim like a model!
overall i'm happy with the way i am anyway, i hope everyone else manages to get to this way of thinking too (:
Ditto!
Birkenhead
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by 747-400)
x
Interesting choice of avatar. For all you have to say about male height complexes, (despite my own avatar I am a comfortable 5'11), do you think the fact that you use a picture of you standing directly in front of a monster-skyscraper might possibly indicate that you have internal reservations regarding your own?
theresa17
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm 5'8. Sometimes I do feel like a giant clumping around, particularly when I was in school because my friends were all incredibly petite girls - not a single one of them was above 5'3! Also I guess once you're tall people like to say things like "Oh, you could totally be a model" and it makes me feel a bit awkward because my figure is nowhere near model-like.

I do think tall girls carry weight better since there's more places for the fat to be spread out, people often think that I weigh less than I actually do. I love being tall!
MW24595
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Okay, yes, as a guy, I understand why men don't often date women taller than them.
But I have a question for all you wonderful tall girls, and please forgive me for going off topic:

How comfortable would you people be, dating a guy shorter than you? And I mean, shorter by an inch or two, not like, half-a-foot. :P
747-400
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Tuerin)
Interesting choice of avatar. For all you have to say about male height complexes, (despite my own avatar I am a comfortable 5'11), do you think the fact that you use a picture of you standing directly in front of a monster-skyscraper might possibly indicate that you have internal reservations regarding your own?
No, I use it as it's a photo from a recent holiday. I hadn't chosen it for a 'deeper meaning' and I have no idea what you mean over internal reservations so clearly I didn't think too much into my avatar choice...
Since when did standing in front of a world famous landmark mean I have a height complex? New to me!!!
Sheldor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MW24595)
Okay, yes, as a guy, I understand why men don't often date women taller than them.
But I have a question for all you wonderful tall girls, and please forgive me for going off topic:

How comfortable would you people be, dating a guy shorter than you? And I mean, shorter by an inch or two, not like, half-a-foot. :P
Fine with it. The only problem I'd ever have with height is the actual height difference-someone a foot smaller/taller than me seems a bit impractical! But then I again, I manage it with friends, so I guess it can't be that bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by MW24595)

Honestly wouldn't mind. If I like them enough and find them attractive i'd definitly go for it

As long as I don't feel awkward hugging/kissing them (like if i'd have to bend down)
14thoctober
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm 5'8''/5'9'' and I like my height. I mean, I have long legs and, although I'm a size 10/12 (so not that skinny, just normal), people tell me that I look better than short girls when I wear shorts or a dress! So don't be ashamed of your height

Anddd I don't feel the pressure of being skinny because I don't like the idea of working as a model.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Zizi11
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I like being skinny. IT MAKES ME LOOK GOOD BEING TALL AND ALL.
Birkenhead
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No, I use it as it's a photo from a recent holiday. I hadn't chosen it for a 'deeper meaning' and I have no idea what you mean over internal reservations so clearly I didn't think too much into my avatar choice...
Since when did standing in front of a world famous landmark mean I have a height complex? New to me!!!
The fact that you've actually taken that comment seriously only makes me more convinced
747-400
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Tuerin)
The fact that you've actually taken that comment seriously only makes me more convinced
Damn, your psychology on me is just too good. I guess you're right... :holmes: Thank you for finally helping me realise how much I dislike being tall :cry2:
Birkenhead
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Damn, your psychology on me is just too good. I guess you're right... :holmes: Thank you for finally helping me realise how much I dislike being tall :cry2:
I try.
riotgrrl
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I do know what you mean, in that because I'm tall, I sometimes feel like I'm already "big"? And therefore less cute than petite, slender girls. It can also feel masculine in a way, because I'm 5'9 and 10 stone which wouldn't be an exceptionally unlikely height and weight for a guy to be.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 2ndClass)
Yes but 99.9% of tall girls look nothing like them. Just because you're tall doesn't mean you automatically have a pretty face/figure. I just hate Amazonian looking women, can you imagine standing on your toes to kiss your girlfriend? And if you're 6ft and wear high heels?!?!?! Yeesh

p/s I ain't no midget, I'm 5"11 and I wouldn't date a girl over 5"6
ewwww a guy who is below 6ft. No wonder you're insecure.
Minnie1996
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I understand I'm 5'9 and pretty chunky I'm a size 18 but I was diagnosed with pcos so the weight is so hard to lose 😑😑
Anonymous #3
Report 3 years ago
[QUOTE=Minnie1996;61991265]I understand I'm 5'9 and pretty chunky I'm a size 18 but I was diagnosed with pcos so the weight is so hard to lose I wish I was skinny
Anonymous #4
Report 3 years ago
As a 5'10" girl there is definitely a desire to have that willowy frame - tall, with slender arms and legs. But I think there is pressure on all women to be a certain way - if you're petite, then being really slender is also seen as cute or desirable.
I do think as a tall woman though that we can hide any weight gain a little better - I don't know why, maybe it just has more places to go versus a smaller person, if that makes any sense?!
The tall clothing range at various shops does help me a lot: being able to find things that actually fit my longer arms/legs, and are designed for someone with my proportions helps a bit with body confidence, as regular-sized clothing can feel really odd-fitting sometimes.
Nikkioxxo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I am 5 ft 9..and have been scouted by many modeling agencies in public places with my friends to do shows/shoots(i have declined because that's not something I've ever wanted to do) ..men bashing on tall women are insecure and pathetic..its called intimidation and men can't handle that kind of pressure!! It is always about preference..but body shaming is absolutely disgusting. By the way..when did we start asking men what they wanted?? Loool To each their own!! Love yourselves ladies! Ive always loved being tall!
Anonymous #5
Report 1 week ago
Lmao lesson number one..tall girls..don't date someone under 6 ft. Lmaoo jks.. i come from a tall fam and my husband is 6"2, im 5'10..and i can totally get away with a kitty heel! Lmao 😉
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (164)
18.45%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (90)
10.12%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.65%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (129)
14.51%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.56%
How can I be the best version of myself? (273)
30.71%

Watched Threads