Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    remote scottish island with weird religion/cult - sacrifice people to get better crops - stupid scottish policeman goes to investigate death of young girl, who is not really dead, then he is sacrificed - the end.
    You know, your version of the story is somewhat less scary than the film.

ReputationRep:
    remote scottish island with weird religion/cult - sacrifice people to get better crops - stupid scottish policeman goes to investigate death of young girl, who is not really dead, then he is sacrificed - the end.
    well now you've ruined it

if i remember ill put it in if i dont i doubt ive missed much by the sound of it sky+ is ingenius.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    ...is on Channel 4 tonight, 1.50 AM. All of you, watch it - it is one of the best films ever made.
    Typically categorized as a horror film, The Wicker Man is actually a serious and literate thriller about modern paganism, written by Anthony Shaffer (Sleuth) with a deft combination of cool subjectivity and escalating dread. (Robin Hardy here marks his only directorial effort.) We're introduced to the friendly but mysterious residents of Summerisle (located off the west coast of Scotland), where the isolated community enacts rituals that seem, at first, to be merely unconventional. When called in to investigate an anonymous tip about a missing child, mainland police sergeant Howie (Edward Woodward) is treated as an outsider, and the ominous Lord Summerisle (Christopher Lee) has the inside advantage. As the repressed policeman is taunted by the island's sensuous atmosphere, his investigation leads to increasingly disturbing implications. With phallic symbols and soothing music at every turn, Summerisle is a pleasant haven for those who perform the pagan rituals of Lord Summerisle's maverick ancestors. These earthy ceremonies are presented with alluring authenticity, and the island's tempting eroticism is fully expressed by the landlord's daughter (Britt Ekland), who fills Howie with barely suppressed carnal desire. (Sirens took a comedic approach to a similar situation in 1994.) And yet the mystery of the missing girl remains, with clues that hint at a darker reality beneath the colorful local customs. When that reality is ultimately discovered, Howie becomes the crucial element in the islanders' most elaborate ritual, which is where the film's title comes into play. It may not be horror, but it is horrific, and this makes The Wicker Man an unforgettable film. --Jeff Shannon

Christopher Lee? Must be decent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    Christopher Lee? Must be decent.
    Logic that is impossible to argue against.

ReputationRep:
    You know, your version of the story is somewhat less scary than the film.
    the film is not scary, only in a disturbing way. it's just stupid imo. only reason i watched it was because we had to in MEDIA STUDIES wooooooooooooo!

ReputationRep:
    the film is not scary, only in a disturbing way. it's just stupid imo. only reason i watched it was because we had to in MEDIA STUDIES wooooooooooooo!
    Media Studies can't be a fluffy/mickey subject then.

ReputationRep:
    Media Studies can't be a fluffy/mickey subject then.
    absolutely not. see my earlier post on this thread on the theory of Todorov

ReputationRep:
    absolutely not. see my earlier post on this thread on the theory of Todorov
    btw I love that penguin slap in your sig. Ace!

ReputationRep:
    btw I love that penguin slap in your sig. Ace!
    hehe - thank you bhaal - you are one with superb taste

ReputationRep:
    To be honest i've never seen the film. The song of the same name is good though, by Iron Maiden - download.

It's a bit late for me, school tomorrow you understand. I don't get enough sleep as it is. If only I had sky plus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woodsy)
    To be honest i've never seen the film. The song of the same name is good though, by Iron Maiden - download.

It's a bit late for me, school tomorrow you understand. I don't get enough sleep as it is. If only I had sky plus.
    there's always puttin a tape in sky+ is just much better!

ReputationRep:

Not a good enough excuse - school is second, you must watch this film.

ReputationRep:
    i got to watch it IN school - how lucky am i ??? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i got to watch it IN school - how lucky am i ??? :rolleyes:
    Isn't it an 18 rating? If you were offended by it, then you could technically sue your school for 'distress'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    there's always puttin a tape in sky+ is just much better!
    Don't use tapes anymore, it's jsut gone 3-1 to Man City, love it.

ReputationRep:
    Common, if the film lasts 2 hours i won't be in bed until 4am. That means 3 hrs 15 min of sleep. It really can't happen.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it an 18 rating? If you were offended by it, then you could technically sue your school for 'distress'.
    Now there's a money making scam if ever I heard one, personally i'd go for it.

ReputationRep:
    i think it's an 18 yeah..must be with all the nudity etc.....hmm perhaps i WILL sue

ReputationRep:
    Common, if the film lasts 2 hours i won't be in bed until 4am. That means 3 hrs 15 min of sleep. It really can't happen.
    Ah I've done that followed by 8 hours of work! Don't be a wuss, watch the film or Whitey will get you!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.