Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ive got a offer to do acc & finance at bristol among others and i was very keen on bristol
    but then i heard everyone dissing it. whats wrong with it except its private school incident?
    it is still a good top ten uni to go to, right? it wont drop down the league table cos of the private school thing?
    im asking cos ive also got an offer from notts and manchester for the same acc & fin - i prefer bristol but i dont want to go to a uni which will slide down the league tables when i get there

please help
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucy!)
    ive got a offer to do acc & finance at bristol among others and i was very keen on bristol
    but then i heard everyone dissing it. whats wrong with it except its private school incident?
    it is still a good top ten uni to go to, right? it wont drop down the league table cos of the private school thing?
    im asking cos ive also got an offer from notts and manchester for the same acc & fin - i prefer bristol but i dont want to go to a uni which will slide down the league tables when i get there

please help
    thanks
    go for bristol, very nice city + very good uni, accnt finance has got a great rep at bristol, the only reason im not choosing it is that i live here already

(Original post by lucy!)

please help
    thanks
    You seem far too hung-up on what other people and the league tables say about the place you want to go to. If you like it GO THERE, if you don't then go somewhere else that you do like!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucy!)

please help
    thanks
    bristol has always been traditionally high in terms of reputation and prestige..amongst older pple mostly neway, even tho i think it gets more credit than it desreves...i dunno just my opnion. i dont think bristol reputation will change much for quite a while, as it is a v. good and established uni. i think what matters tho is how u feel about the uni itself u sound like uve already made ur mind up tho...

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the replies everyone!

do anyone know where i can find a specific acc & fin league table?
    ive looked everywhere (in the time, guardian, ft)

is there anyone here who does acc & fin or eco at bristol or anyone going there in 2004?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucy!)
    thanks for the replies everyone!

do anyone know where i can find a specific acc & fin league table?
    ive looked everywhere (in the time, guardian, ft)

is there anyone here who does acc & fin or eco at bristol or anyone going there in 2004?
    i would think that you look for the business table, as acc and fin is under business department

ReputationRep:
    im putting down bristol for econ as my insurance for 2004

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucy!)

please help
    thanks
    I'm in a similar situation, just with Durham, not Bristol....and I felt really relieved when people said I should just go for Durham, if that's where I was leaning towards anyway....It's silly to be so easily swayed by strangers on a message board, but sometimes it helps when people just confirm what you really wanted to hear anyway. So I'm just going to say the same to you - if your gut feeling says "go to Bristol", and you do really like the place, and the course and so on, then go for it.
    I've only ever heard good things about Bristol myself, and actually, I'm a bit sceptical about league tables anyway. I think they're a bit subjective really. I think once your looking at the "top ten" unis, or even top twenty, you can't really go wrong - I think once a uni has reached the level of "very good", that's good enough, and there really isn't very much to distinguish between them after that (- I think the vast difference people make out there is between them, is a bit artificial and contrived). The rest is, ultimately, up to you, and what you make of your course, and what use you put your time there to. If you work hard you'll end up doing well, and if you don't you won't, regardless of where you go - so, in the end, I don't think it much matters where we go, because I think we'd probably all have a good time anywhere.

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.