Mickey Mouse Subjects/Courses Watch

This discussion is closed.
roseonthegrave
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by munchie_rox)
yes....geography is all about colouring in.........fool.
Whenever we get a cover lesson we wind up colouring in maps Screwey Geo Teacher...
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by munchie_rox)
yes....geography is all about colouring in.........fool.
Now you see my point....
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Leekey)
At degree level it is tempting to suggest one of the really obscure ones like "The Life & Times of David Beckham" (Staffs Uni)
Funny - I can't seem to find that on the UCAS website....unless of course you're talking about a self funded PhD thesis title?
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Funny - I can't seem to find that on the UCAS website....unless of course you're talking about a self funded PhD thesis title?
This is one that a tutor at my college informed us was starting this year. I've not personally met anyone who has applied for it but I will be looking out for it on the recruitment stand at my college in the near future!!!
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
When I did Media Studies I had to learn about the UK's economic status etc in order to relate it to how it is presented on television.
That was kind of confusing.

Meat Management is one of my favourites but my all time favourites have got to be Cake Decorating and Pastry and Chocolate Managment lol
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Danithestudent)
That was kind of confusing.
Ooh how challenging
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
Ooh how challenging
Tell you something making that damned film was the most challenging thing I've ever did.
I fake cried to make my group work (we'd not done it and we had an hour to hand it in) anyway so I made them work their arses of.

Lol we then went on to collect the award for best student film in Sussex and Hants because it won a competition!
I loved Media Studies.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Tell you something making that damned film was the most challenging thing I've ever did.
I fake cried to make my group work (we'd not done it and we had an hour to hand it in) anyway so I made them work their arses of.

Lol we then went on to collect the award for best student film in Sussex and Hants because it won a competition!
I loved Media Studies.
I've got to admit it does look fun . But I wouldn't take it because anything that is fun can't be intellectual. Shame.
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
I've got to admit it does look fun . But I wouldn't take it because anything that is fun can't be intellectual. Shame.
That's not true!!! There's loads of history, psychological and sociological aspects to it.
Moral Panics, Folk Devils etc etc etc
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm top of my sociology class because I've learned it all before in Media Studies
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
That's not true!!! There's loads of history, psychological and sociological aspects to it.
Moral Panics, Folk Devils etc etc etc
Well I hope then it gets more respected
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm top of my sociology class because I've learned it all before in Media Studies
Well done!
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I found English "fun" does that mean its not academic.
fred0202
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
In media studies how are the marks allocated between cousework and exams in percentage terms? I assume coursework gets a pretty high weighting.
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by waiting2smile)
It irritates me how Psychology is classed as an 'easy subject' it's not! :mad:
Damn right it's not!
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
I found English "fun" does that mean its not academic.
No. Although my idea of fun is painting, drama and making videos/music.
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by fred0202)
In media studies how are the marks allocated between cousework and exams in percentage terms? I assume coursework gets a pretty high weighting.
40% coursework consisting of a brief, development, research, intial ideas, prototype, development2, product, evaluation (chocfulla theory)
then 2 exams one of a critical comparison which brings in issues of representation, form, content, audience and then one of sociological issues in the media related to recent news, developments, technological advancements etc

Sameish in the second year except the coursework is a 5,000 word essay on the development of a hypothesis.
fred0202
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
40% coursework consisting of a brief, development, research, intial ideas, prototype, development2, product, evaluation (chocfulla theory)
then 2 exams one of a critical comparison which brings in issues of representation, form, content, audience and then one of sociological issues in the media related to recent news, developments, technological advancements etc

Sameish in the second year except the coursework is a 5,000 word essay on the development of a hypothesis.
5,000 words, what's that in A4 pages?
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Alas Leekey is correct about the David Beckham course at Staffs

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/693806.stm
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by fred0202)
5,000 words, what's that in A4 pages?
About 15 sides written.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (157)
13.29%
Excited (105)
8.89%
Worried (216)
18.29%
Terrified (276)
23.37%
Meh (94)
7.96%
Confused (32)
2.71%