The Student Room Group

I want you to name the best book you have ever read!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
perks of being a wallflower, topsy and tim go swimming, the beautiful game: a wags tale
Reply 21
"How to power tune Rover V8 engines" by Des Hammill was a pretty good read.
Reply 22
perfume
Reply 23
Oh God, only 1?

Overall:
1984-Orwell, great prose but it's the messages beneath that make people revere it.

Personal influence:
God is not Great-Hitchens, this book changed my life more than any other so I have to mention it.

Children's book
The inheritance trilogy (4 of them though :P)

To many others to mention so I won't start listing.
Nineteen Eighty-Four
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25
1984 by George Orwell
The Sneetches.
Hmmmmm...

American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis (careful with that one though, it's VERY graphic and the main character is properly psychotic, it can get very disturbing at times, but is a wonderful read still)

or maybe Sons and Lovers by DH Lawrence, which is just incredible. It's the story of a family over the course of about 30 years I think in a northern mining town. Not usually my kind of thing but amazingly written!

Or anything by Evelyn Waugh, specifically Brideshead Revisted or a Handful of Dust, which are two incredible books.

And countless others that have momentarily slipped my mind
Reply 28
Shantaram, Gregory David Roberts. Long, but brilliant and absolutely worth it.

Others: 1984 (like loads it seems :tongue:) and Catch 22.
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. Such a shame that he wrote so little.
Reply 30
I second the above postings on Mr. Georgy Orwell. If you're into science definitely read 'The Emperor of All Maladies, An Epic Biography of Cancer' - it's a riveting tale of discovery and beautifully written as well.
Oh yes, while we're on Mr. Orwell, Keep the Aspidistra Flying by him is excellent, more 'mundane', but I love it too <3
A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseni :smile:
Reply 33
The Fault In Our Stars - John Green.

(John Green is probably the best author around right now, genius that man is.)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Going to name three:
Safe Haven, by Nicholas Sparks
The House Of Night series, by P.C and Kristen Cast
The Host, Stephanie Meyer

All good for different reasons, but they all made me cry at some point.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Original post by spacemenrule94
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. This book is perfection quantified. By turns hilarious and heartbreaking, I would seriously recommend this to anybody in need of a life-affirming novel.

I read Looking For Alaska recently, which I really liked. I'll have to look into reading this one sometime, a lot of people seem to think very highly of it.
The Picture of Dorian Gray!

Definitely the most fascinating book I've ever read. I love the character's schizophrenia and rift as the reader can feel him slowly getting out of touch with reality... And that atmosphere of pure dandyism depicted by the one and only Oscar Wilde is absolutely mesmerizing.
The Picture of Dorian Gray is the most beautiful thing I've ever read. Some sentences or even whole paragraphs I smile when I reach the end and have to go back and re-read. First time I appreciated the art of literature. As well as that, it's very philosophical and thought-provoking with a great story too.
American Psycho

One of the greatest contemporary novels, it's vastly misinterpreted to be glorifying violence and misogyny but is in fact pure genius. I wrote my English Lit coursework on it and it is genuinely a masterpiece.
Original post by adellegreenhamx
Secrets of crinkley hall!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I this is meant to say the secret of Crickley hall, then I agree. Although that is probably because it is one of the few books I have actually read :colondollar:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending