The Student Room Group

Aviva? Good employer?

Contemplating wether or not to take up an underwriting job with Aviva. Researched them online but wondering if anyone could give me feedback on them from first hand experience? Would help a lot!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Same as any other large organisation: Good brand on your CV, lots of perks, people will have actually heard of where you work and may have some rough idea what you do, competitive i.e. majority of employees will have career aspirations and some may be willing to do anything to get to ahead, may take some time before you are given work that will have an actual impact, interaction with truly senior staff (CEO/Managing partner) non-existent, stupid processes and hoops you must jump through to get anything done.

What sort of thing would you like to know specifically about Aviva? I have some friends who are Actuaries there and they seem to love it.
Reply 2
Yeah definitely!
And mostly if opportunities arise to grow within the company, don't want to be stuck at the same level, how often they arise and the pay rates!
Glad to hear that, good sign!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would disagree from the statements above. I know quite a few actuaries working there. Two got out as soon as they can. Two are stuck there for various reason.

They pay significantly less than the market rate. It is a good name on your CV but would not recommend it unless you cannot get anything else.

Your future salary depends on your initial salary to some extent. It is hard to negotiate for a higher salary when you move to another company.

There are quite a few big insurers who run a underwriting graduate scheme. They pay 5k to 10k more than Aviva. From the Aviva website, they are paying 14500 p.a. Many insurers such as RSA can easily beat that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dark_vadar_4321
I would disagree from the statements above. I know quite a few actuaries working there. Two got out as soon as they can. Two are stuck there for various reason.

They pay significantly less than the market rate. It is a good name on your CV but would not recommend it unless you cannot get anything else.

Your future salary depends on your initial salary to some extent. It is hard to negotiate for a higher salary when you move to another company.

There are quite a few big insurers who run a underwriting graduate scheme. They pay 5k to 10k more than Aviva. From the Aviva website, they are paying 14500 p.a. Many insurers such as RSA can easily beat that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The job descriptions are probably different. RSA seems like a more technically challenging company to work for, whereas I'm sure that Aviva will be consumer and client focused. This distinction alone will result in vastly different day-to-day operations for individuals. As such, salaries for rather vague job titles such as "underwriter" or "analyst" will vary by a significant amount.

Therefore, it's not as simple as saying, "RSA is better because they pay more". You need to look at your suitability for the job, whether you'd like it and whether you're actually in tune with the company's work ethic. You're working there 9-5, it makes a significant portion of your life. You don't want to go somewhere because "they're better". A little more reasoning and a wider view of employment needs to be adopted to make an informed decision.
I work with underwriters closely. The job is the same for aviva and RSA.

OP: choose wisely. Your future depends on where you start. This is coming from someone who is working in that area.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by dark_vadar_4321

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for replying.
I have applied to various apprenticeships, some with bakertilly, KPMG etc and got so far as the phone interview but Aviva is the only one that offered me a interview in person. (looked for RSA but nothing on website) I hold 3 unconditional offers to university also, but don't know wither a degree or experience and qualifications is more sought after? Since your already in the industry would you be able to answer that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending