McDonalds MET parking fine

Watch
TinyWriter
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I received a parking charge notice for parking in a free car park for over 90 minutes (109 minutes in total)

The letter has two pictures of my car (very dark, unclear pictures), the format is a little bit all over the place, and also when I typed in the address of the car park that they stated on the letter into google, nothing comes up, meaning they've put down the wrong official address. Should I pay the fine or ignore it?

Some stories of previous experiences with this would be good, especially if it was from The MET PPC

:mad:
Bonoahx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
For the record, police give speeding fines, councils give parking fines.
Of course you should pay the fine. The council will end up employing a bailiff and it'll cost considerably more than it was in the first place. Stop trying to find loopholes, you can't be above the parking regulations which you knowingly broke, regardless of how much the fee was or how unfair you may think it is. It applies to everyone... cue the corrupt police park on double yellow lines card...

I suppose if you really wanted to, you may have a case in court that you shouldn't pay the fine because of the admin error, but the court fees will end up costing more than the ticket.
Royal Tenenbaum
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Do not pay; simply ignore it as parking fines are civil matters.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TinyWriter)
I received a parking charge notice for parking in a free car park for over 90 minutes (109 minutes in total)

The letter has two pictures of my car (very dark, unclear pictures), the format is a little bit all over the place, and also when I typed in the address of the car park that they stated on the letter into google, nothing comes up, meaning they've put down the wrong official address. Should I pay the fine or ignore it?

Some stories of previous experiences with this would be good, especially if it was from The MET PPC

I'm not clear - was it a council car park, or a private car park? Who has sent you the parking charge, a local authority or a private company?
lbsf1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If it looks unofficial then don't pay it as its likely they are cowboys and thus won't take any official action against you, they just hope you will pay up straight away and thus make money.
snufkin_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I received one of these once. You could ignore it and they might continue sending you letters.

I went into the McDonalds and spoke to the manager, explained I was actually a customer in the restaurant and hadn't seen the 90 minute stay signs. They cancelled the parking charge for me so I didn't have to worry about receiving more letters. Perhaps you could do something like this?
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Royal Tenenbaum)

Posted from TSR Mobile
It depends who the sender is - local authority penalties absolutely must not be ignored, they have the power to get court bailiffs onto you and all sorts.

Private parking "fines" are a totally different matter, they are completely unenforceable.
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If it is a local council controlled carpark then pay up.
If it's independant put the letters in the bin as it's unenforcable.
officelinebacker
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

If it was a council operated car park then you should pay the fine as they are legally enforceable.

If it was a privately operated car park then they're generally not enforceable. Check which company operates the car park, give them a google to find out about them, and you'll probably find that they don't actually push claims. For most of these companies they rely on people paying up when they receive the first letter or the subsequent threatening letters, they won't go to the stage of actually getting physical if you ignore their threats.
orange9
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
If it is a local council controlled carpark then pay up.
If it's independant put the letters in the bin as it's unenforcable.
correct.

thats what you need to do OP
rmhumphries
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bonoahx)
For the record, police give speeding fines, councils give parking fines.
Of course you should pay the fine. The council will end up employing a bailiff and it'll cost considerably more than it was in the first place. Stop trying to find loopholes, you can't be above the parking regulations which you knowingly broke, regardless of how much the fee was or how unfair you may think it is. It applies to everyone... cue the corrupt police park on double yellow lines card...

I suppose if you really wanted to, you may have a case in court that you shouldn't pay the fine because of the admin error, but the court fees will end up costing more than the ticket.
Even with council issued parking fines, you have the option of appeal, at a informal level, then formal level with the council, followed by a hearing by an independent tribunal. There is no cost for the informal appeal, and the only cost for the later two is that you don't get to pay the reduced rate if you lose.

(Original post by Royal Tenenbaum)

Posted from TSR Mobile
If it is a parking fine from a council, then the council can and will take you to court if you ignore it, resulting in you usually paying 2-3 times the cost of the fine.
Bonoahx
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by rmhumphries)
Even with council issued parking fines, you have the option of appeal, at a informal level, then formal level with the council, followed by a hearing by an independent tribunal. There is no cost for the informal appeal, and the only cost for the later two is that you don't get to pay the reduced rate if you lose.
OK, but it's still a waste of time, and in the end you'll have to pay more, and rather considerably more, than if you pay the reduced rate. Parking violations won't exactly stop you from getting a job. If you really can't pay it, then the council may give you some form of leeway, but if the OP is going to appeal it just because he wants to feel big and strong then what's the point.

And as you said, they may employ a bailiff or sue you if you don't pay. At that point you'd probably need a lawyer and the court would probably order you to pay the full parking fine plus the money that the court needed to run the case. It's a very immature view on life that you shouldn't pay fines when you blatantly break the rules.
rmhumphries
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
OK, but it's still a waste of time, and in the end you'll have to pay more, and rather considerably more, than if you pay the reduced rate. Parking violations won't exactly stop you from getting a job. If you really can't pay it, then the council may give you some form of leeway, but if the OP is going to appeal it just because he wants to feel big and strong then what's the point.

And as you said, they may employ a bailiff or sue you if you don't pay. At that point you'd probably need a lawyer and the court would probably order you to pay the full parking fine plus the money that the court needed to run the case. It's a very immature view on life that you shouldn't pay fines when you blatantly break the rules.
Nonsense - I have had two parking tickets from two separate councils, I appealed both, it went to the tribunal, and I won both times. Even if I had of lost, I would have had to pay £70 instead of £35, so not considerably more - even if I had of lost one of the appeals I would have been even as if I had of paid both at the reduced rate.

I, at no point, said don't pay council issued fines; I said appeal them. If you have no grounds for appeal, then yes - just pay up. However, things such as confusing or misleading signage is a reasonable appeal - in both my cases it was an issue with the painted lines and in one case a lack of signage were the grounds I won on. It is an immature view to automatically assume that because a ticket was issued, the person receiving the ticket is in the wrong.
Bonoahx
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nonsense - I have had two parking tickets from two separate councils, I appealed both, it went to the tribunal, and I won both times. Even if I had of lost, I would have had to pay £70 instead of £35, so not considerably more - even if I had of lost one of the appeals I would have been even as if I had of paid both at the reduced rate.

I, at no point, said don't pay council issued fines; I said appeal them. If you have no grounds for appeal, then yes - just pay up. However, things such as confusing or misleading signage is a reasonable appeal - in both my cases it was an issue with the painted lines and in one case a lack of signage were the grounds I won on. It is an immature view to automatically assume that because a ticket was issued, the person receiving the ticket is in the wrong.
Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. Maybe I am full of ****, but I wasn't talking about you. What I was saying is that from what the OP has said he's trying to get out of a parking fine because of an admin error. He didn't say that there was a lack of signage. I'm simply saying that it's unfair to feel you're on top of the world because of an unclear image. Rules are there for a reason.
Michaelj
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. Maybe I am full of ****, but I wasn't talking about you. What I was saying is that from what the OP has said he's trying to get out of a parking fine because of an admin error. He didn't say that there was a lack of signage. I'm simply saying that it's unfair to feel you're on top of the world because of an unclear image. Rules are there for a reason.
If you can get away with it (which is highly likely with parking fines from McDonalds etc), rules are meant to be broken.
Bonoahx
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Michaelj)
If you can get away with it (which is highly likely with parking fines from McDonalds etc), rules are meant to be broken.
If it's from McDonalds, then whatever, but he may have been calling the police as smart as McDonalds, because he didn't reference it anywhere else.

OP, if it was McDonalds, did you use it as a free car park then went off and did something else, or did you stay in McDonalds for just under 2 hours? If so, why?
TinyWriter
Rep:
?
If it's from McDonalds, then whatever, but he may have been calling the police as smart as McDonalds, because he didn't reference it anywhere else.

OP, if it was McDonalds, did you use it as a free car park then went off and did something else, or did you stay in McDonalds for just under 2 hours? If so, why?

Sorry just to let you guys know, it wasnt from the council or police it was from a private car park company, they sent me a PARKING charge notice, not a PENALTY charge notice.

I used the car park and actually went into McDonalds, but I stayed for a little over 90 mins just because I forgot about the time, but I was a genuine McDonalds customer
ROG.
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ignore it
Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sorry just to let you guys know, it wasnt from the council or police it was from a private car park company, they sent me a PARKING charge notice, not a PENALTY charge notice.

I used the car park and actually went into McDonalds, but I stayed for a little over 90 mins just because I forgot about the time, but I was a genuine McDonalds customer
Bin it and live a happy life.

And when they send you more bin them too.
TinyWriter
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
I'm not clear - was it a council car park, or a private car park? Who has sent you the parking charge, a local authority or a private company?
It was a private company, one of those '90 minute maximum stay' car parks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (626)
33.71%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (782)
42.11%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (366)
19.71%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (83)
4.47%

Watched Threads