LCF or CSM for journalism? Watch

mulberry1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi!

I want to start a fashion journalism postgrad next year, but am having a really hard time deciding between MA Fashion, journalism pathway, at CSM or PG Cert Fashion and Lifestyle Journalism at LCF.

''CSM is for the next Alexander McQueen and LCF is for the next Jil Sander'' is the quote I've heard- obvi that's design, but the impression I get is that, as a huge generalisation, CSM is more about creative expression, innovation and being really ''out there'' and independent, and has a broader focus on fashion as art, being an art college too, and LCF is very fashion-focused and technical- I've heard it teaches you the technical details of your craft, whatever it is, better than CSM.

I've been to both open days and found them pretty similar tbh.

so I've made a list for how I'm considering both-

for CSM;
maybe slightly more prestigious for fashion
it might be good to have the influence of and work with the other pathways instead of just focusing on journalism (I'm interested in fashion in general)
this is a silly one but I think I'd meet a wider range of people at CSM because there's more subjects and broader courses taught there- at LCF the courses are very specific

for LCF;
you do lifestyle journalism as well
focused on fashion journalism rather than general fashion
I think I'd actually rather do a PG Cert than an MA as all that differentiates them is the essay at the end and I can't get too excited about writing an academic essay instead of continuing with practical journalism, tbh!

thought of posting here as the other threads and comments I read were really interesting!

xo
blancadeorbaneja
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi! I am having the same problem! What did you do finally? any advice? thanks!
mulberry1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi blanca!

I did a short course instead at CSM and am now working in the industry (styling rather than journalism although i do write a bit). The short course DID help but I think if you're really dedicated you should actually do the MA or PgCert- they go into the detail you need and give you guest speakers.

I know you're not made of money but to make super sure journalism's for you maybe do one/a few short courses? Either LCF or CSM.

However after my experience of the short course (which I highly recommend)! I'd say that if you were very dedicated to journalism the best one to try for would be the PGCert at LCF. I think the MA would be more theoretical- you really don't need to write essays on fashion journalism, you need practical advice, guest speaker advice and feedback.

Apply for the PGCert. If you don't get in, do a short course and apply for the MA. Of course if you fall in love with the MA go for it- make sure you go to open days for both courses.

ellachristensen8
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi there!
I'm 15 and I am greatly influenced by the fashion industry and I love to write. I feel like either fashion styling or fashion journalism would be the perfect fit for me. You could say I'm more interested in fashion than writing, but I still want to pursue it. Do you suggest LCF's Fashion Journalism/Styling course or CSM's ? What's the difference? What makes people choose one over another? Please help me, I've researched SO much and nothing really answers my questions. Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (516)
26.27%
The paper was reasonable (857)
43.64%
Not feeling great about that exam (383)
19.5%
It was TERRIBLE (208)
10.59%

Watched Threads