The Student Room Group

Thinking of dropping out of uni and living a life of travelling.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I would advise just to think very carefully about the long term consequences of dropping out of uni to do something like this :smile:
You're only young once. I actually think in a different way to most on this thread. There's always time to go back to the matrix and do the degree, but arguably the peak of your life is between the age of 18 and 27. That's the time you want to spend partying in other countries and living out of a suitcase. There is always time to go back to the UK and enrol in a degree course, who knows, you may never want to rejoin the rat race. I have a degree, but I really hope I never have to use it as I know I will hate the job it 'entitles' me to. It is a back-up, but it's a back-up that is so undesirable I'd consider benefits before it.

I'm 22, but at the end of the year I'm 23. Sounds pessimistic but the late twenties are creeping up. I wish I came out here when I was 18, even more time here at my peak. I had fun at uni, but after freshers year you've seen it all to be honest.

I do strongly suggest you have some 'buffer' money though just in case, a couple of grand to fund the job search and potentially get you a plane home. Or you could just wait until the next student loan payment and take the flight out.
Original post by LukeySherlock
You're only young once. I actually think in a different way to most on this thread. There's always time to go back to the matrix and do the degree, but arguably the peak of your life is between the age of 18 and 27. That's the time you want to spend partying in other countries and living out of a suitcase. There is always time to go back to the UK and enrol in a degree course, who knows, you may never want to rejoin the rat race. I have a degree, but I really hope I never have to use it as I know I will hate the job it 'entitles' me to. It is a back-up, but it's a back-up that is so undesirable I'd consider benefits before it.

I'm 22, but at the end of the year I'm 23. Sounds pessimistic but the late twenties are creeping up. I wish I came out here when I was 18, even more time here at my peak. I had fun at uni, but after freshers year you've seen it all to be honest.

I do strongly suggest you have some 'buffer' money though just in case, a couple of grand to fund the job search and potentially get you a plane home. Or you could just wait until the next student loan payment and take the flight out.

What? The late twenties are ages away! 23 is still very very young. Still I agree, I'm 33 and I have only just figured out what I want to do. I've known people to up sticks and go travelling at 40 or enrol in uni!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 83
Great idea! what will you do when money runs out?
Original post by Design_Me_A_Tom
I am currently in first year, however I don't seem motivated to do the work and I am wondering wether to drop out and follow my dream of travelling the world. I do like the subject i'm studying, I think I should have gone to a different uni though as I'm currently a bit dissapointed. I am also not very motivated as I am unsure wether this is the right thing for me.

I want to spend my life travelling, and getting jobs where I am and using it to pay for the next trip. The main regret of alot of people when they are older is that they didn't travel enough while they were young and free and didn't have to spend their money on others like kids etc.

I also don't want to have to work all my life for an elusive goal and then find myself unhappy such as this video suggests:

You only live once, and I don't know if I could live with myself knowing there is so much beauty and variety on this earth and I experienced very little of it because I choose the safe path which society said was the best thing to do.

The only issue is trying to convince my parents. What do you think?

I've been feeling very much like this as well i'm in first year, do u mind me asking what you did in the end? and if you think that was the right decision?

Quick Reply

Latest