WTF? This thread is so racist!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    lol how?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry you feel that way as i was not intending it to be. I was only wondering which unis had large asian societes but i clearly phrased it wrongly!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rutera)
    And how's about the blending? I heard that in some unis the asians, particularly the orientals, stick pretty much to themselves. I hope to avoid this, I prefer unis where there's a lot of blending. How's LSE at this?
    You'll find that the chinese who didn't grow up here will stick together in huge packs, and yes it is piss annoying (and im allowed to say so cauz I'm chinese). I suppose they just find it culturally different, the few I've spoken to said that english people were too different from back home...dunno quite what that's supposed to mean.

Yeah LSE...big gaggles of different nationalities, stick together, it is 75% overseas after all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    lol how?
    He kind of has a point. Would people be allowed to discuss how they're looking for a uni with the highest number of white people?

ReputationRep:
    I think QMUL is supposed to have a large number of British born indians/ pakistanis/ bengalis.

ReputationRep:

no its not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iiikewldude)
    He kind of has a point. Would people be allowed to discuss how they're looking for a uni with the highest number of white people?
    i fail to see how anyone can misconstrue this thread as rascist - Big P was merely asking where there are more asians due to his desire to join clubs/societies catering for Asians...it's quite a silly analogy to compare it to where the highest number of white people are...because afterall Asians are an ethnic minority thus not all unis will necessary have things specifically catered for them (and im not saying they should)...thus the question was an innocent one and not rascist...at no point did Big P express a dislike for any other ethnicity!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajeeb)
    i fail to see how anyone can misconstrue this thread as rascist - Big P was merely asking where there are more asians due to his desire to join clubs/societies catering for Asians...it's quite a silly analogy to compare it to where the highest number of white people are...because afterall Asians are an ethnic minority thus not all unis will necessary have things specifically catered for them (and im not saying they should)...thus the question was an innocent one and not rascist...at no point did Big P express a dislike for any other ethnicity!
    its so typical that in england, anything that has a touch of opinion about race is turned into racism, no wonder why everyone is so conservative

ReputationRep:
    im a british born asian n im off to st andrews!!!! hmmm didnt see many indians there! x

ReputationRep:
    i'm british indian too and my friend goes to warwick and he's doing MORSE. he has a lot of british indian friends in other sectors esp. economics. i think nottingham has its fair share of british indians too. royal holloway is my firm choice does anyone know about the situation over there? thanx

ReputationRep:
    What about Durham then? Are there many Asians?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by feli123)
    What about Durham then? Are there many Asians?
    Im Asian and im going to Durham, doubt there's many there tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    You'll find that the chinese who didn't grow up here will stick together in huge packs, and yes it is piss annoying (and im allowed to say so cauz I'm chinese). I suppose they just find it culturally different, the few I've spoken to said that english people were too different from back home...dunno quite what that's supposed to mean.

Yeah LSE...big gaggles of different nationalities, stick together, it is 75% overseas after all.
    Yes that is so true. And when that happens, there's not really that much difference between having moved abroad or stayed back in China. Really, it's actually possible to spend your entire length of stay in the UK speaking Chinese about 80% of the time and associating virtually with Chinese people.

Urgh. Defeats the object. Please note that despite taking this view, I'm not British born.

ReputationRep:
    HI

I know you pm'd me but I've been soooo busy and never got round to replying,

As has already been said, Notts has lots of Asians - both British born and overseas. There are large societies.

Intergration depends on the individuals really. I'm a medic, and would say that generally, the medics are well 'mixed'. There are a few groups of asians who have 'separated'.

ReputationRep:
    wot about the Uni of manchester. Do they have a lot of Asians der. Im goin der next year to do Medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deianra)
    Please note that despite taking this view, I'm not British born.
    Neither am I for that matter...came over when I was four.

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know if there are many british born indians studying at the LSE?I know there will be plenty in and around london, but i was just wondering about the school.

Sukh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaq)
    wot about the Uni of manchester. Do they have a lot of Asians der. Im goin der next year to do Medicine.
    they have so many asians...i live bout 30mins away and ud be surprised at how many there are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)

I'd have too agree with you but then I suppose if I went to study in another country with a different culture/ language I would probably end up hanging out with other brits.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.