The Student Room Group

Work Experience in Drama?

Is there any work experience in drama? I'm 14 years old, I would like to be a drama teacher or actress

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
use yell or google to search for local theatres, production companies in you're area if you find any you could always ring them or send a e-mail asking if they'd take you on a voluntary basis? you might have to do some lending a hand tasks like cleaning and stuff but if it gets you some work experience actually acting etc its worth it right?

Source: friend does this,

Also you could use one of them UK extras websites where you apply to be an extra and companies get in touch if they like you're profile etc, its actually paid and sometimes can be good fun! plus you could mention it in interviews, or even put work you did on you're cv :smile:

Most people ive known to do this didnt have any experience prior to being an extra
Reply 2
frogot to mention, local acting clubs/societys too, my friend also takes part in group at a community centre, they do small plays there as "local community theatre" but thats still somthing employers might like, shows initative.
Reply 3
Reply 4
If you're talking about school work experience - as in, you have to arrange it as part of your school curriculum - taking part in community theatre probably won't cut it. I've been doing community theatre since I was 13 and it definitely didn't count as work experience - it's a hobby, it's performing. I actually did my Year 11 work experience in the reception of a holiday site because I couldn't think where else to go :tongue:

Acting work experience is nigh on impossible to get because usually you get about a week of work experience, which isn't enough time to put on a proper show and actually learn all about the industry.

Some that might work for you -

- Shadowing a drama teacher - maybe the one at your school?
- If there are any community drama initiatives locally - drama therapy, etc - might be worth getting in touch to see if you can shadow a dramatherapist?
- Going to local theatres and asking if you can shadow a director or do FOH work experience there?
- Local restaurant - chances are you'll be working there if you want to be an actress :wink: I kid of course, that's just a mean joke, but in all honesty you will probably have to wait tables or work FOH if you want to be an actress, at first at least - and that's if you can get a job waiting tables!

Honestly I think shadowing a drama teacher (or any teacher), or going to a theatre and shadowing a director is probably best for you.
contact any local theatre companies or theatres, most places are happy to take people on as work experience. you will probably be just doing odd jobs and stuff but its good to have on your cv that you've worked with a theatre company, which is what I did for my year 10 work experience and now 5 years on I still ask for references from them and its really useful.
Reply 6
Original post by rubymay1993
contact any local theatre companies or theatres, most places are happy to take people on as work experience. you will probably be just doing odd jobs and stuff but its good to have on your cv that you've worked with a theatre company, which is what I did for my year 10 work experience and now 5 years on I still ask for references from them and its really useful.

What kind of jobs did you do? And was it interesting :smile:
can you tell me a few sites to have a look at and do you know if any of them work in southampton :smile: thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending