Amsterdam Watch

This discussion is closed.
samd294
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
In an effort to alleviate my temporary gap year boredom (role on summer) I have organised a trip to Amsterdam for me and some friends. Does anybody out there who has been have any recommendations of where to go while out there. I have been to Holland before never amsterdam though so dont really know what to expect. Any advice greatly appreciated.
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by samd294)
In an effort to alleviate my temporary gap year boredom (role on summer) I have organised a trip to Amsterdam for me and some friends. Does anybody out there who has been have any recommendations of where to go while out there. I have been to Holland before never amsterdam though so dont really know what to expect. Any advice greatly appreciated.
Depends what you are looking for.
TK
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
anne frank house is good, and go on one of the canal boat thingys too
Sahir
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Saaaame here! A group of 8 of us are booking/have booked a holiday in Amsterdam for this summer.. don't actually know the details as yet, but i'll let you know.

Can't wait!!
big mama
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Tinykates)
anne frank house is good, and go on one of the canal boat thingys too
Yes - but you need to go to Anne Frank House early in the day (or late evening) in summer to avoid queues - ditto Van Gogh Museum. Loads of really good restaurants with prices outside so you know what you're letting yourself in for. Markets fun especially Waterlooplein. Diamond factories - free entry with cafe where you can get free coffee and biscuits. Take care to avoid mad cyclists - they stop for no-one.
iiikewldude
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
tons of people from my year are going or have been to amsterdamn in their little groups of friends. They all go there purely to get high and drunk. Apparently u can get small, medium or large pints there?!

I don't see why anyone would go there to sit around in cafes getting high as u can do it back in the u.k for just as cheap. The weed there is supposed to be amazing though and u can mail it back home.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Experience:

Van Gogh Museum
Canal Trip
Heineken Brewery
Red Light District
A Coffee Shop
Anne Frank House

Avoid:

Nothing.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The leidsplien square (spelt wrong) and Vondel Park are well worth a visit. Drinking in that square is an amazing experience. In fact Amsterdam is the only place I've been where I have felt the night life was good (apart from Manchester).
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Congrats on 4k post trade

BTW: Amsterdam sounds pretty boring from Bigcnee's list.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
The leidsplien square (spelt wrong) and Vondel Park are well worth a visit. Drinking in that square is an amazing experience. In fact Amsterdam is the only place I've been where I have felt the night life was good (apart from Manchester).
Vondel Park?

I thought that was just a random (small) park with a few hostels around it.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by bono)
BTW: Amsterdam sounds pretty boring from Bigcnee's list.
If you are a boring twat, don't like any culture, and don't smoke, or like entertainment.... then yes.
riffraff
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
the shops are good, and if you're going in summer hire a boat and have picnic on the canals- tis good
john !!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Everyone that's ever gone has said it was great to me
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Vondel Park is huge, although not as big as Heaton Park Manchester which is the biggest public park in Europe.

Amsterdam has amazing culture and you don't need to drink or smoke to enjoy yourself there. Amsterdam is just simply cool.
iiikewldude
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
how much does a short trip of say 3 days to amsterdamn end up costing? I'm considering going there with some friends.

Also would it work out much cheaper if we drove there?
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by iiikewldude)
how much does a short trip of say 3 days to amsterdamn end up costing? I'm considering going there with some friends.

I now that Bristol is doing cheapish flights to the Dam. Accomodation isn't that expensive, but general living/entertainment costs are.
W.A.S Hewins
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
If you are a boring twat, don't like any culture, and don't smoke, or like entertainment.... then yes.
The 'boring twat' bit: where do you get this eloquence from?
samd294
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by iiikewldude)

Ive booked for the weekend after next , costing 170 for two nights (friday thru sunday), so should be able to do the whole weekend for 250
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by W.A.S Hewins)
The 'boring twat' bit: where do you get this eloquence from?
Your mum.
Yellow^Bird
Report 15 years ago
In a mixmag article that my boyfriend read, it said that smoking pot isn't legal over there anymore for tourists. the locals are still allowed but apparently they are cracking down on tourists, going over there and just getting high. I too was wanting to go there but upon hearing this I think I might not. I suggest you try visiting an Amsterdam web-site to find out for sure. I mean is there really any point going to amsterdam if you can't get high in a cafe?
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (72)
17.65%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (259)
63.48%
Not yet but I am planning to (20)
4.9%
Not yet but I might (57)
13.97%

Watched Threads