Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i'm under so much stress at the moment with a massive workload, i know it's gonna get harder at camb, i doubt very much i'll be able to cope with it- i wanna enjoy my life as well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    i'm under so much stress at the moment with a massive workload, i know it's gonna get harder at camb, i doubt very much i'll be able to cope with it- i wanna enjoy my life as well!
    yep, feel the same!

ReputationRep:
    Yea, decline Cam, then go Wolverhampton Polytechnic for three years. Then, after three years, when you finally become sober from the outstanding social life, you will get a job sweeping the floor in MacDs... And become manager of that MacD at 40 or so... yea, do that. The work is just too much.

ReputationRep:
    Not meaning to be rude, but Cam is worth it, even if you will be brain-dead for 3 years, you will have the rest of your life sorted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yannis)
    Not meaning to be rude, but Cam is worth it, even if you will be brain-dead for 3 years, you will have the rest of your life sorted.
    Not necessarily true. Check this out:

http://www.oxfordstudent.com/2003-06-05/culture/1

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Yannis on this one. Although nowadays it's by no means a dead certainty that your life is sorted if you go to Oxbridge, a degree from there is going to give you the best possible start you could hope for, compared with another uni. Personally i'm a very lazy person holding an Oxford offer, but I'm gonna give it a shot and try my best. I think you should go for it and I'm sure you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Yea, but the problem exists at other unis to a greater extent. It's true that finding a job is hard, but it's a good deal easier coming out of Ox or Cam than other places.

ReputationRep:
    thats what i keep telling myself- but as hildabeast pointed out, its not always true. plus i met two oxford grads who taught a german course i was on in the summer, they had so much trouble finding work, even though they got 2:1's

ReputationRep:
    People, who stop halfway are no better than those who don't start. If you got in and don't go, it would be foolish.

ReputationRep:
    But there are times when I just feel like dropping out and going back to Manchester. The workload is CONSIDERABLY more than that of other universities. There have been occasions when I've had more work to do in a week than some of my friends at other universities have had to do in a term. I'm not convinced it's necessarily going to be worth it later on, especially as there is a certain amount of anti-Oxbridge bias amongst public sector employers these days. If I end up not being able to get into teaching because I have an Oxford degree I will cry.

ReputationRep:
    People, who stop halfway are no better than those who don't start. If you got in and don't go, it would be foolish.
    perfectly aware of that, thats why i havent made any decisions just yet. i'm the sort of person who gets wrked up over little things though-i know i'm not the most able student they've taken on, i'm just not really looking forward to uni as much as i should be i guess.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. They may well have problems finding a job. Here is an analogy. If I and a friend run a marathon ten times and I always get 6 hours and he always gets 8 hours, then we both didn't do too well. Right? But I beat him every time, so in comparison I did much better than him. The job problem should be looked at with consideration of other unis and their graduate job placements

ReputationRep:
    Yea, decline Cam, then go Wolverhampton Polytechnic for three years. Then, after three years, when you finally become sober from the outstanding social life, you will get a job sweeping the floor in MacDs... And become manager of that MacD at 40 or so... yea, do that. The work is just too much.
    oh and my alternative choice is durham.....not exactly wolverhampton polytech

ReputationRep:
    The job problem should be looked at with consideration of other unis and their graduate job placements
    But in many sectors there is a clear anti-Oxbridge bias these days. Some employers consider Oxford and Cambridge graduates to be a bit *too* academic, whilst others want to be seen to be shaking off their traditional elitist image by employing graduates from other less well-established universities. I want to be a teacher, but often Oxbridge graduates are considered to be too high-flying or not well-rounded enough by training agencies/employers.

DO NOT FOR ONE SECOND BELIEVE THAT JUST BECAUSE YOU GOT INTO OXFORD, YOU WILL AUTOMATICALLY WALK INTO THE JOB YOU WANT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    oh and my alternative choice is durham.....not exactly wolverhampton polytech
    ...exaggeration. Only illustrating a point. Sorry if it seemed rude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    But in many sectors there is a clear anti-Oxbridge bias these days. Some employers consider Oxford and Cambridge graduates to be a bit *too* academic, whilst others want to be seen to be shaking off their traditional elitist image by employing graduates from other less well-established universities. I want to be a teacher, but often Oxbridge graduates are considered to be too high-flying or not well-rounded enough by training agencies/employers.

DO NOT FOR ONE SECOND BELIEVE THAT JUST BECAUSE YOU GOT INTO OXFORD, YOU WILL AUTOMATICALLY WALK INTO THE JOB YOU WANT.
    Chill beast. I'm sorry if I am being annoying. That's not the intention. All of these problems exist, but I'm sure that on the whole, not only the employer's view would be different. You would come out a different person. You would feel that you achieved something. I know that getting a good job is hard and I never meant it that way. If you are so negative about it all, why did you go to St Hilda's?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for pointing that one ou, Hildabeast. Especially as you seem t be the only one on this thread with some first-hand experience. The job market is a weird and unfair thing.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think people on here want to suggest that Oxbridge is a bad place to go in general - on the contrary. It is just necessary to maintain some kind of pragmatism and realism, I believe. Most probably, studying there will give you a good job, but some people get too worked up thinking that all other universities will set them up on the path towards eternal unemployment and that Oxbridge is the only place that can guarantee you a job - both parts of this are not true.

ReputationRep:
    If you are so negative about it all, why did you go to St Hilda's?
    Well Hilda's is actually a really academic college and things can get quite stressful at times, but I came here because I loved the place and I wanted to be taught by leading academics. The real world seems so far away when you apply to university, but it's really not, and it's only natural to question at times why you actually came here when the essays are piling up. I just want to make sure that no-one believes that an Oxbridge place = their life sorted, because it doesn't. I've been trying to get work experience in schools and it has been hell. I have had letters back asking me why I would possibly want to be an RE teacher when I will have an Oxford degree, and have since found out that a friend of mine who is studying at a local ex-poly got a place straight away.

ReputationRep:
    Well Hilda's is actually a really academic college and things can get quite stressful at times, but I came here because I loved the place and I wanted to be taught by leading academics. The real world seems so far away when you apply to university, but it's really not, and it's only natural to question at times why you actually came here when the essays are piling up. I just want to make sure that no-one believes that an Oxbridge place = their life sorted, because it doesn't. I've been trying to get work experience in schools and it has been hell. I have had letters back asking me why I would possibly want to be an RE teacher when I will have an Oxford degree, and have since found out that a friend of mine who is studying at a local ex-poly got a place straight away.
    Alright... I know one of the reasons I applied to Oxford is because I wanted to be taught by some seriously hardcore people and because I loved the place when I visited a couple of times. No grudges held, OK?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.