Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    Well Hilda's is actually a really academic college and things can get quite stressful at times, but I came here because I loved the place and I wanted to be taught by leading academics. The real world seems so far away when you apply to university, but it's really not, and it's only natural to question at times why you actually came here when the essays are piling up. I just want to make sure that no-one believes that an Oxbridge place = their life sorted, because it doesn't. I've been trying to get work experience in schools and it has been hell. I have had letters back asking me why I would possibly want to be an RE teacher when I will have an Oxford degree, and have since found out that a friend of mine who is studying at a local ex-poly got a place straight away.
    ahahahahahahahah I LOVE your signature hildabeast!!!

ReputationRep:
    YEEEESSSS!!!

Respected Member... :cool: only joking

ReputationRep:
    Yannis: OK, no hard feelings . I just feel strongly about this.

Eeyore: Lol thank you. I think he's going to be at the conference tomorrow at Sandown racecourse if you feel like going on a pilgrimage.

ReputationRep:
    Yannis: OK, no hard feelings . I just feel strongly about this.

Eeyore: Lol thank you. I think he's going to be at the conference tomorrow at Sandown racecourse if you feel like going on a pilgrimage.
    :eek: Alas, I wish I could, but I can't Ah well! Do you know what year he's in??

ReputationRep:
    I just did not that well in my modules, so i sometiems think i wont be good there. But then again ive been working very NOT hard.

Its hard work, but im sure lesser people have got offers and still cope. the drop out rate is very low, and they hate to let you drop out, they take it as a personal failier. They wouldnt have given you an offer if they didnt think you were up to it. Remeber, theyve interviewed and offered places more times than you, so im sure they know what they're doing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzy_vet)
    I just did not that well in my modules, so i sometiems think i wont be good there. But then again ive been working very NOT hard.

Its hard work, but im sure lesser people have got offers and still cope. the drop out rate is very low, and they hate to let you drop out, they take it as a personal failier. They wouldnt have given you an offer if they didnt think you were up to it. Remeber, theyve interviewed and offered places more times than you, so im sure they know what they're doing!
    i guess so...thanks suzy

ReputationRep:
    I'm not convinced it's necessarily going to be worth it later on, especially as there is a certain amount of anti-Oxbridge bias amongst public sector employers these days. If I end up not being able to get into teaching because I have an Oxford degree I will cry.
    How about teaching in an independent school? Most seem to love employing Oxbridge graduates (my school certainly does), and the pay and conditions would probably be better too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eeyore)
    :eek: Alas, I wish I could, but I can't Ah well! Do you know what year he's in??
    Ummmm, I think he's a 2nd year. I'll find out for definite tomorrow though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    How about teaching in an independent school? Most seem to love employing Oxbridge graduates (my school certainly does), and the pay and conditions would probably be better too.
    Well, as my main motivation for going into teaching is because I want to do something which is socially responsible which would give me a chance to actually help improve the prosepcts of people who didn't have any before, I don't think an independent school would suit me. I know there is the Teach First programme which places graduates in inner London schools for a couple of years whilst they train to do some thing else but it's RIDICULOUSLY competitive

http://www.teachfirst.org.uk

ReputationRep:
    Ummmm, I think he's a 2nd year. I'll find out for definite tomorrow though
    Yay! If i get in, he'll still be there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eeyore)
    Yay! If i get in, he'll still be there!
    Lol a woman obsessed

ReputationRep:
    Lol a woman obsessed
    Hehe, it's just never really happened to me before that I've seen guy and immediately been struck by the thought that he is exactly my type!! You see he was at the door when my friend and I entered the racecourse... he actually handed me one of those cool Oxford bags... I still have it!

*is extremely sad*

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to take the thread back to its original subject... but priya - I would recommend you try it. Otherwise you'll always wonder whether you would have enjoyed it or not - and I think you will. Sidney is not a very academic college, it's pretty laid back by Cambridge standards and I'm fairly certain you'll get here and realise you love it. I won't lie to you - the workload is tough (though considerably less for MML than for many other subjects, honest!) and I guess many people get stressed out at some point during the first year and feel like they shouldn't be here - I know I felt that, and still do regularly, but at the same time it's a fantastic place to be and I wouldn't consider leaving any more, not even for a moment. Plus the support system at Sid is superb - you'll know our Pastoral Dean, Keith, very quickly, and you'll know exactly what I mean. Come try it! Please!

PS No, Oxbridge definitely isn't a passport to employment, far from it - but I still reckon the experience and the fantastic teaching and the beautiful environment make it worth the stress..

heya priya - i have felt EXACTLY the way u seem to feel and i do stress about it - ppl always say that you're meant to have the most fun of your life at uni and i really really wanted to enjoy myself, and was really looking forward to uni.

i only really applied to oxford just so that i wouldnt have any regrets not applying in the first place - i didn't want to look back in 5-10 years and say.. hmmm maybe i shouldve applied - i was supposed to get rejected and then just tell myself at least i tried - but then the unthinkable happened and i got an offer!

and now i feel sooo torn! - it's like i know that i will PROBABLY be a in a relatively good situation when i graduate, but at the same time i really dunno if i can cope and really often i wonder y i have an offer in the first place!

and so i dunno... im not looking forward to uni as much - i just can really see myself struggling for the next 3 years and it's something that's just not very appealing!

but at the end of the day, i think i'm gonna accept my offer - i mean i still have doubts but i know that if i don't - i seriously will regret it for the rest of my life - and i think if u got in - u definitely got in for a reason (haha i know that sounds really superstitious and weird but i really do believe that! - whatever happens does happen for a reason)

erm.. so my point is... well i don't really know what my point is, but i just wanted to let u know that you;re not the only one feeling this way and i think it is quite a normal feeling..

so whatever u decide in the end, i hope that it works out for u and good luck with everything!!

ReputationRep:
    hey guys,

take a chill pill!

A degree from oxbridge wouldn't be worth what it is if it wasn't hard work. Sometimes I do wonder 'why did i do this to myself?'... But at the end of the day you are 'living the dream', being taught by the best, surrounded by intelligent students (sometimes debatable ) and living in a beautiful city with an incredible history.

You can be whatever you want to be. Don't let other people stand in the way of your dreams, even if it is to do something not considered 'worthy' of an oxbridge graduate. So what? Its your choice.

People here may work hard, but they play hard too. Its just up to you not to get stuck in a rut working your butt off and not having any fun! (Its something I have been guilty of in my final year now and I regret it.. But I admit it was through my own choice and because I wanted more time to spend with my boyfriend!)

Anyway, its not up to us to tell you whether to reject your offer or not. Sometimes people are unsure but they come here anyway because they feel they can't turn it down. Then they feel like they wanna quit having spent some time here, or they want to change subject, but (in my experience) you'll find they very rarely do in the end.

I have first hand experience of the difficulty in finding a job that people have been referring to, but I feel that has more to do with me not feeling all that passionate about the ones I've applied for than anything else. I'm just gonna leave it til i've graduated and see where that takes me... At the very least i've got a good Cambridge degree behind me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodlebeetle)
    I have first hand experience of the difficulty in finding a job that people have been referring to, but I feel that has more to do with me not feeling all that passionate about the ones I've applied for than anything else. I'm just gonna leave it til i've graduated and see where that takes me... At the very least i've got a good Cambridge degree behind me!
    Talking of jobs.... Being incredibly old now with loads of the people who I started uni at the same time as now in the big bad world of work (and even having been there myself briefly) I can categorically say if you want a well paid (over c. 25k p.a.) job you are in an infinitely stronger position with a 2.1 from Oxbridge than a 2.1 from any other university in the country. All my close friends who left Oxford 2 and a bit years ago are now in stable jobs earning at least high 20,000s, except one who became a Physics teacher (and he's on a fast-track scheme so he's earning more then your average teacher). Out everyone else I knew that I'm still in touch with, I can only think of 1 person who's had problems getting a job and that was probably down to her having Visa problems being from Canada. Hildabeast - you may be interested to know that my mate the Physics teacher thinks it was a definate advantage being from Oxford when he applied for his teacher training.

Yes being from Oxbridge doesn't guarentee you a job, but then again, nothing does. Being from Oxbridge gives you an advantage, or more precisely it shows that other people consider you to be very intelligent - which should be the sort of quality many employers are looking for.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.