This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Do u think that u either can do maths or you shouldnt bother with it. what make u think that. are u good at maths. why do u like maths. why dont u like maths.
debog
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i can do maths
but i cant really explain it
why do you think this is ?
anyone agree?
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 16 years ago
Dislike it intesely but I need it so I'm trying to be as good at it as I can (Still not very great at it though).
HelenBrownsell
Report 16 years ago
"i can do maths
but i cant really explain it
why do you think this is ?"

Being able to do maths is using your procedural knowledge, however, this knowledge is harder to explain than declarative knowledge which is, for example, knowing a specific fact.

In reply to your post, it could be that genes control maths ability but not a great deal. It is generally considered that genes create a predisposition for behaviour but the environment shapes this predisposition, thus the gene does not have ultimate control over you behaviours. An example of this could be having the cognitive abilities to solve maths problems from your genes, however, other factors also influence your ability to do mathematics, such as schooling.

I was never any good at mathematics. I found it extremely difficult and hard to understand, however I got a B for GCSE so I would say even if you find it difficult it is worth having a go. Good luck!
Asha
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i think u r either naturally good at maths, or you have to work at it really hard.
AnotherChris
Report 16 years ago
I REALLY loved Maths during GCSE, it just made sense, the answers kept coming out,I got the highest grades in the school. It was easy and interesting, and it was sort of challenging to your brain.

Then I started As and got on the accelerated set, AND I HATE IT!!! I have not done a single piece of homework in two years... it's that thing where I've got no idea what's going on in class, I've got no idea what the teacher is writing on the board, and when the tests come I study from the book on my own, and get good grades, and do a hell of a revision in the end of year and go amazingly well in the exams. The thing is, I think I kinda get it, I'm sort of good with numbers, but A Level is so HARD and BORING, and has you writing down pages and pages and line after line of numbers, with your head ready to explode from having to take into account all the different things... I can't be bothered with it during the year, I sort of sleep during the class, and just study on my own just for the grades.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I dont know. i find maths really intersting ever since i started.
PPLe either find maths beautful. intrisincly linked through various branches. on they dont give a damn and become lawyers
dave73
Report 16 years ago
It would also be interesting to have a poll on the question that's in the title of this poll i.e. do you believe in a maths gene. My answer would be a strong 'no'.

Dave
Rob
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah .. I'd second that with another No to a "maths gene"...

I don't like to think things as predefined by something you have no control over. I dunno what makes someone good at maths, but somewhere along the way, theres an ass load of work involved!

Rob
HelenBrownsell
Report 16 years ago
I feel that rather than having a "maths gene", there may be genes which control logical thoughts (etc) and other types of thinking involved with solving mathematical problems. Therefore, some people may find it easier to understand some questions than others. It could also explain why males generally tend to better than females at maths (please note the word "generally") as there could be some different forms of thinking involved. However, I do not see genes as the be-all-and-end-all of intelligence of any kind. The environment in which someone grows up can influence the genetic dispositions that people inherit. Therefore, people without this inherent way of thinking can still be good at mathematics due to environmental influences, such as a good education and high motivation.
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well, i seem to have a knack for maths when i can be bothered. I find it, even at AS, fairly easy, and i cant be bothered to try at it.
dave73
Report 16 years ago
It's all 100% environmental, you have to see the continuously reproduced social reasons why the false genetic view is shouted from all the rooftops. Anyone can learn how to do anything anyone else can do, given the right environment.

Dave (who won't say anything more on this subject )
HelenBrownsell
Report 16 years ago
It is more likely to be a combination of genes and environment. I think that "generally" they see genes as contribution to 10% of the final outcome of behaviour (well thats what it is for height) and the other 90% to environment although it can different depending on the behaviour being studied.

Also, it is unlikely that just one gene controls a human's mathematical skills but that it is rather a combination of several genes that produces the final outcome. Most inherent disorders are caused by two or more genes rather than just a singlular one.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
But what makes pple so interested and fascinated by maths? it cant be environment, it must be in his head. enjoying solving a difficult problem and that sort of stuff. i personally find it very enjoyable.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
For those pro-mathematitian wanna-be's,

My mate took the AS pure maths exam a year early when he did his GCSE's and got an A so kiss it!
Ollie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i hate i sometime but other times like when u get a really long question right there is a great feeling that cant be matched in a nother subject.!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
i could have done a level maths and got an a when i was in year 9. where i came here from my country
Freakazoid!
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
^obviously they wouldnt of achieved an A at english in year 9. How dare they mock maths!

I like maths (I think) but I still think its a bit of a gimpy subject (my grasp of english is immense I'm sure you agree). I think you can either do it or you can't, some people it comes very naturally to. At least its a "real subject" not like Media or Sociology...

... I await the abuse for that.
Asha
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i concur

abuse
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i definately think it's a subject you can either do + enjoy or you can't. I definately have a mathematical brain + i get frustrated by subjects like philosophy which don't hav a 'proper' answer.
i think i's just the way your mind works- maths is very logical + it's basically just following a pattern- either you get the pattern or you don't.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (262)
33.98%
No (509)
66.02%

Watched Threads