The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

New job leaves me feeling depressed, guilty and stupid

I found my first graduate role around a month ago. Most people who'll read this will recognise who I am, but I'm going anonymous to avoid this coming up on my search history.

In any case, I think this is now becoming less about the job and more about how I'm feeling on a day-to-day basis. The new job seems to have highlighted a more deep-rooted problem that's been going on for years.

These are some of the feelings I have on a daily basis:

I dread waking up and going to work

I'm always around people, and the constant chatter conflicts with my introverted learning style - I don't feel like I'm learning the technical aspects of the job

I don't understand things when my manager explains them to me, and it makes me feel stupid

I see other people understanding everything that's going on, and it makes me feel inferior

People are more sociable and outgoing than I'd expected an office job to be. My mum is very much like me, and I expected a job where I could go to work, complete my job role and leave. The culture is very much high profile and go-getting, rather than chilled out

I struggle to complete basic tasks quickly, and I feel like this is both because I can't see the overall picture and because I'm generally depressed because I feel like I no longer fit in

I feel like if I understood the job, I would enjoy it, which is making me feel like a dunce, and therefore inferior and incompetent

I feel like if I don't understand the job soon, I'll get fired, because my experience of employers when job seeking had always been ruthless and emotionless

I feel like I am being a drain on the people I work with, since moods are often contagious

I feel like if I fail at this, I'm just not intelligent enough to do the job that I've spent years (since second year of uni) trying to attain, and I feel like I'll be letting my parents, my friends and my family down

In short, I don't know what to do. I just have this dull feeling of hopelessness about the future and my passion for problem solving that I used to have during my degree is simply gone. I felt comfortable when doing my degree and therefore sought further challenges and more opportunities, but it took me a long time to establish my comfort zone before I could begin to start expanding it. In my new job, it feels like time is constantly ticking. If I don't understand something by a certain point, I'll be fired. If I don't start talking to other departments and making myself known ASAP, I'll be fired.

It all starts to get to me, and when I get home I've got two hours of free time before I sleep and start the horrendous cycle again. The worst part is that I should be happy. I should be ecstatic that I got a great job in a crap climate, and I shouldn't feel inferior to other people because of where they got their degree.

Nonetheless, I feel like I just fluked my way here. I feel like I just got lucky with my interviewers, like I had just practised for my numerical test and fluked those, fluked my excel test, fluked the verbal reasoning test (or maybe the bloke who looked at them just thought "let's just give him a chance"), and now that I'm working among my interviewers I feel like I'm showing them that they've made the wrong choice every single day. It feels like they both look at me thinking, "Well, we've cocked this up. Let's just wait 5 more months until his probation ends so we can just sack him and get someone new."

All in all, I just don't know what to do. Maybe I should think about therapy, because my low confidence and self-esteem levels are probably the driving force behind all of this.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I found my first graduate role around a month ago. Most people who'll read this will recognise who I am, but I'm going anonymous to avoid this coming up on my search history.

In any case, I think this is now becoming less about the job and more about how I'm feeling on a day-to-day basis. The new job seems to have highlighted a more deep-rooted problem that's been going on for years.

These are some of the feelings I have on a daily basis:

I dread waking up and going to work

I'm always around people, and the constant chatter conflicts with my introverted learning style - I don't feel like I'm learning the technical aspects of the job

I don't understand things when my manager explains them to me, and it makes me feel stupid

I see other people understanding everything that's going on, and it makes me feel inferior

People are more sociable and outgoing than I'd expected an office job to be. My mum is very much like me, and I expected a job where I could go to work, complete my job role and leave. The culture is very much high profile and go-getting, rather than chilled out

I struggle to complete basic tasks quickly, and I feel like this is both because I can't see the overall picture and because I'm generally depressed because I feel like I no longer fit in

I feel like if I understood the job, I would enjoy it, which is making me feel like a dunce, and therefore inferior and incompetent

I feel like if I don't understand the job soon, I'll get fired, because my experience of employers when job seeking had always been ruthless and emotionless

I feel like I am being a drain on the people I work with, since moods are often contagious

I feel like if I fail at this, I'm just not intelligent enough to do the job that I've spent years (since second year of uni) trying to attain, and I feel like I'll be letting my parents, my friends and my family down

In short, I don't know what to do. I just have this dull feeling of hopelessness about the future and my passion for problem solving that I used to have during my degree is simply gone. I felt comfortable when doing my degree and therefore sought further challenges and more opportunities, but it took me a long time to establish my comfort zone before I could begin to start expanding it. In my new job, it feels like time is constantly ticking. If I don't understand something by a certain point, I'll be fired. If I don't start talking to other departments and making myself known ASAP, I'll be fired.

It all starts to get to me, and when I get home I've got two hours of free time before I sleep and start the horrendous cycle again. The worst part is that I should be happy. I should be ecstatic that I got a great job in a crap climate, and I shouldn't feel inferior to other people because of where they got their degree.

Nonetheless, I feel like I just fluked my way here. I feel like I just got lucky with my interviewers, like I had just practised for my numerical test and fluked those, fluked my excel test, fluked the verbal reasoning test (or maybe the bloke who looked at them just thought "let's just give him a chance"), and now that I'm working among my interviewers I feel like I'm showing them that they've made the wrong choice every single day. It feels like they both look at me thinking, "Well, we've cocked this up. Let's just wait 5 more months until his probation ends so we can just sack him and get someone new."

All in all, I just don't know what to do. Maybe I should think about therapy, because my low confidence and self-esteem levels are probably the driving force behind all of this.

I started Cognitive Behavioural Therapy this week and my therapist recommended 'Overcoming Low Self-Esteem' by Dr Melanie Fennell which is one of the recommended books on the NHS books on prescription service.

I've ordered the book but I haven't read it yet as it has not been delivered. It has great reviews on Amazon though and if the NHS and my therapist endorses it then it must be useful.

It's always difficult starting a new job as not only do you have to get to grips with the technical aspects of the job, you also need to adapt to the firm's culture and values. Do you tell your manager that you don't understand what he is telling you? do you have any colleagues you can confide in? I always ask my colleagues if I'm ever unsure of something in work and vice versa.
Reply 2
Original post by advent2
I started Cognitive Behavioural Therapy this week and my therapist recommended 'Overcoming Low Self-Esteem' by Dr Melanie Fennell which is one of the recommended books on the NHS books on prescription service.

I've ordered the book but I haven't read it yet as it has not been delivered. It has great reviews on Amazon though and if the NHS and my therapist endorses it then it must be useful.

It's always difficult starting a new job as not only do you have to get to grips with the technical aspects of the job, you also need to adapt to the firm's culture and values. Do you tell your manager that you don't understand what he is telling you? do you have any colleagues you can confide in? I always ask my colleagues if I'm ever unsure of something in work and vice versa.

I do tell my manager, but often it's simply because I just don't understand it when I hear it from him. Usually, if I pluck up the courage to tell him I don't understand, he'll look at me with a puzzled expression. I feel like he thought I was way more clever than I actually was, and that's why he gave me the job.

One of my colleagues sees it from my point of view, but he's doing a different job role. This is almost like the entry post - I'm learning the basics and I feel like I'm not learning fast enough to keep the job. I'm progressing at a snail's pace, and I just feel tired and lost as to how to cope with it all.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I do tell my manager, but often it's simply because I just don't understand it when I hear it from him. Usually, if I pluck up the courage to tell him I don't understand, he'll look at me with a puzzled expression. I feel like he thought I was way more clever than I actually was, and that's why he gave me the job.

One of my colleagues sees it from my point of view, but he's doing a different job role. This is almost like the entry post - I'm learning the basics and I feel like I'm not learning fast enough to keep the job. I'm progressing at a snail's pace, and I just feel tired and lost as to how to cope with it all.

People have different learning and communication styles. This is a stab in the dark but from reading your posts I'm guessing you are more of a kinesthetic person as you talk about your feelings a lot so if for example your boss is more of an auditory or visual person, there will be some confusion.

What is your job?
Reply 4
When I began to work, I had the similar feeling like you, very depressed. As time went by, I worked hard and gradually get familiar with my job. I think you will do better in the future. Just relax. too anxious, bad scores, :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by advent2
People have different learning and communication styles. This is a stab in the dark but from reading your posts I'm guessing you are more of a kinesthetic person as you talk about your feelings a lot so if for example your boss is more of an auditory or visual person, there will be some confusion.

What is your job?

It's analysis and interpretation in finance. I usually learn in hindsight and through making mistakes... in my first year of university I was absolutely terrible, but I got better because I learned from my mistakes. The concern I have is that my employer seems to think that my high grades were due to "raw" intelligence rather than "learned" intelligence.
Reply 6
You sound like you have got so low it has started impairing your ability to think clearly. Have you had a general 'how things are going' chat with your manager yet? Would you feel able to explain any of this them? (that you are struggling - not the other parts). I think you either need to get some general help with improving your mood and reducing your anxiety, or ask for some help from them.

Those tests you talk about are meant to measure raw IQ - so you probably are intelligent enough. Like the other poster said, it is probably about learning style. Would you learn better if you could see it written down?
Reply 7
Original post by MegM
You sound like you have got so low it has started impairing your ability to think clearly. Have you had a general 'how things are going' chat with your manager yet? Would you feel able to explain any of this them? (that you are struggling - not the other parts). I think you either need to get some general help with improving your mood and reducing your anxiety, or ask for some help from them.

Those tests you talk about are meant to measure raw IQ - so you probably are intelligent enough. Like the other poster said, it is probably about learning style. Would you learn better if you could see it written down?

I've had that chat and to be honest, it feels like he just believed I'd come in all guns blazing and pick things up really quickly. In reality, I think he's got someone who keeps repeating the same question and doesn't understand what's going on. I've actually been looking at a large and complicated algorithm and trying to input something to get some outputs. It's large, complicated and it's the first time I've ever seen it. I'd been working on it for two days and I asked my manager for help once I got stuck. He looked at what I was doing, made some adjustments, attempted to explain himself and continued on with his own work. An hour later, I asked him to check my work and it turned out I'd made the same mistake as before, because I hadn't learned from it. I thought I'd changed it, and he just didn't make eye contact and murmured, "well, you didn't, so, yeah."

I find it pretty pathetic. I've been there for six weeks, and it's my first ever full time job. He's been there for years through the graduate scheme. It seems unfair to push the same standards he expects of himself onto me. My degree classification was what prompted him to choose me, and I'm afraid that the learning techniques I used at uni are no longer applicable to the working world. As you said, I think I would find it easier if it was written down, and on reflection, but since it's all computerised I need to look at it in that type of format.

I spoke to a bloke in a different department who said that if my manager doesn't say anything then it's fine, but my manager does think I'm a little slow and I need to pick up the pace. Fair enough, but I'm trying to learn and understand things while I'm doing them, which I'm finding slow and unproductive. Like I said, I just think it's grossly unfair. I shudder to think how someone from uni would fare here, because I used to be considered pretty clever at uni. Now I don't have that anymore. Small fish, big pond, lots of other small fish.
Reply 8
If you a bright person and were considered bright at university, there is every possibility he is just a rubbish manager and does not explain things well. Not making eye contact when a junior member of staff asks a question isn't impressive, especially when he knows you are struggling.

This is your career we are talking about and he does have some obligation to be at least a little supportive to you.

Why do you think you didn't understand when he explained the error you had made? Did he not explain well?

Are you stuck with him as a manager now or do you rotate?
Reply 9
I forgot to say - I also really think you need to consider getting help because of how you are feeling. Do you think you should do something now, before your manager looses faith in your ability to do the job? If you seek help now, you should still have time to make an improvement within your probation period. PM me if you want
Reply 10
You really need to take action and do something positive for yourself. Get your mindset straight, be straight with your manager and tell them what's going on.

I actually had exactly the same problems, I left that job a while ago because I was going through a ****ty patch in my life when I lost my dad. I couldn't keep up at all, I was always making similar mistakes and I ended up ****ing up a lot of stuff. This was also in finance, Lol. If it was me now, I really think I would have succeeded. Do not give up, keep working your ass off and try to take as many notes as possible. Ask many questions, even if they get pissed off at you.
Reply 11
How was today OP?
Reply 12
Original post by MegM
If you a bright person and were considered bright at university, there is every possibility he is just a rubbish manager and does not explain things well. Not making eye contact when a junior member of staff asks a question isn't impressive, especially when he knows you are struggling.

This is your career we are talking about and he does have some obligation to be at least a little supportive to you.

Why do you think you didn't understand when he explained the error you had made? Did he not explain well?

Are you stuck with him as a manager now or do you rotate?

I didn't understand because he just doesn't explain things coherently. He can't empathise. He'll try, and he'll make every effort to think like I do, but he just can't. Any other bloke there seems to explain things clearly but he doesn't. I can't ask anyone else because they're doing different jobs that require different skills and approaches.

I'm stuck with him. There's no rotations because I'm not on a grad scheme. There's no training either. It was literally just sticking me down and saying, "here, analyse this using Excel and Access".

He belittles my achievements constantly. Fair enough, analysing something might be basic for you, but if I've been there almost two months and I manage to struggle there and get an output, even if it's wrong, I should get some form of positive reinforcement. There's none. I realise now that those glances and awkward smiles eroded me to the point of absolute despair, and I sought counselling. Thankfully I have a much better self-esteem now that I've started it, but it still doesn't solve the hell I seem to go through every day.

His mentality seems to be, "well if I learned, and your colleague learned, then you can." What he fails to remember is that he had 7 years in the company and my colleague had 8 years in finance, working with similar tools.

Original post by MegM
I forgot to say - I also really think you need to consider getting help because of how you are feeling. Do you think you should do something now, before your manager looses faith in your ability to do the job? If you seek help now, you should still have time to make an improvement within your probation period. PM me if you want

I think I will, actually. Thank you.

Original post by Nunkey
You really need to take action and do something positive for yourself. Get your mindset straight, be straight with your manager and tell them what's going on.

I actually had exactly the same problems, I left that job a while ago because I was going through a ****ty patch in my life when I lost my dad. I couldn't keep up at all, I was always making similar mistakes and I ended up ****ing up a lot of stuff. This was also in finance, Lol. If it was me now, I really think I would have succeeded. Do not give up, keep working your ass off and try to take as many notes as possible. Ask many questions, even if they get pissed off at you.

Working my arse off is what I find tough. I'm generally a hard worker, but I have no direction. He'll point be in the right direction but he won't give me enough guidance to give me a path to walk on... it's more like, he'll point towards a desert and go, "here, you figure it out". Fair enough, but I find that disastrous. Every time I go to work I feel like I'm trying to wade through a desert, and I feel like I'm just not clever for doing so.

I have my PTR tomorrow so I'm going to hopefully unload some emotion. This really isn't fair at all.
Reply 13
I'm reading the book and it does make a huge difference. It explains how you keep yourself in a damaging cycle of self-esteem and helps you notice it when you do it, and to break it when it happens. Eventually it'll be so routine that I'll naturally become more positive.

I hope this is temporary because it's probably one of the worst periods of my life. I've lost faith in myself, my future, my ambitions and my strengths.
I can't offer much specific help, but I may as well stop a minute to remind you that you're not in the wrong here (without wanting to get all Robin Williams on you, this isn't your fault). I don't know who you are, but you write with intelligence, clarity and self-awareness, so the notion that you might just be what the French call "un incompétent" just isn't plausible.

You know all this :fluffy: but sometimes a reminder makes it easier to keep your head above the water.

Also, I've never been in your exakt situation, but I have had a job in which I felt feeble, irrelevant and unable to progress, and I dreaded every day of it. So I can assure you that what doesn't kill you actually will (!!!) make you stronger; you're not the only one to have felt this way; and your confidence, flair and ambition will return (possibly with a vengeance).

As for some small crumbs of actual advice, I think you're right to be open with your boss - tell him everything, including the fact that he belittles you and stuff (not in an aggressive way, ofc). Maybe he's not good at putting himself in other people's shoes, but communicating as much as possible can only make things better. And also, don't obsess over other people's expressions. For one thing, you're almost definitely overplaying it - even if they feel some fleeting sympathy, they're definitely not spend any more time than that thinking about it. And for a second thing, other people's opinions, as we all know by our early twenties, are to be thrown to the wind without further ado.

Good luck tomorrow :love:
Reply 15
OP, you need to delete some PMs as you have exceeded your allowance.
Reply 16
Another thing - head in the sand isn't going to solve this.
Reply 17
Wondering how OP got on?
Believe it or not, people usually have a little cry when they're new to their job because they feel like too much is being asked of them, or they feel like they just don't fit in.

Don't worry, you'll soon get used to your agenda and learn to love your job (hopefully)
Unbelievable ! I thought I was the only one who felt like this, like as if I can't achieve anything, as if me being in the job I'm in is all a mistake

Latest