Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi, can someone please tell me when i plot a graph of the diameter of nichrome wire )0.712 mm - 0.315 mm) along the x axis and the resistance (ohms) along the y axis

It shows that as diameter increases, resistance decreases? is this right?thanks

ReputationRep:
    you've asked the same question so many times... it's quite obvious that you aren't confident with your coursework, wouldn't it be better for you to actually learn the content???

ReputationRep:
    that sounds right not done it for a while but from what i remember thats correct

ReputationRep:
    well i get it now so thanks
    i just want to get a good grade

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah_999)
    well i get it now so thanks
    i just want to get a good grade
    As Diameter increases, Resistance decreases, and the current passing through the wire increases for a given voltage.

ReputationRep:
    The reason that resistance decreases as the diameter increases is because of the electron flow. It's easier to think of current flow in terms of electron flow. Imagine you have a pipe with lots of beads trying to get through. The wider the passage the easier it is for them to get through. It's the same with electrons. The larger the diameter of the wire, the easier the electrons flow, so that means that the resistance is lower.

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.