Turn on thread page Beta

eng lang quick question-need help plz! watch

ReputationRep:
    how do people demonstrate power in coversation- like wht sort of features do i need to look 4?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean exactly? Are you looking for body language that people would use to give themselves power? Or for specific quotes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silltilly)
    What do you mean exactly? Are you looking for body language that people would use to give themselves power? Or for specific quotes?
    no like lexis, inntonation, holding the floor,. that type of thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bex_gold)
    no like lexis, inntonation, holding the floor,. that type of thing
    language features....

ReputationRep:
    OK well I'll give you some ideas...I don't know if they'll be of much use:

To show that a person has power they might control their emotions well. Uncontrollable emotions are a sign of weakness. Being comfortable in any situation is powerful especially if you can make the other person uncomfortable. Basically having higher status for any reason gives you power. If you speak the language better, you know what you're talking about, if you're rich, older, wiser, whatever. People who don't need to repeat themselves. People who don't need to ask others to repeat. If you're alert in a conversation, you have more power. I really don't know if this is any good to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silltilly)
    I really don't know if this is any good to you.
    yeh it was i think. thanks

ReputationRep:
    open and expansive body language

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.