The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Education Studies at Durham

Hiya! I applied to do History, but got rejected and offered Education Studies and History. I never really considered education studies, and dont know a lot about the course. I've booked the open day (Monday and Tuesday) but I was hoping to get some information before that - can any kind soul help me out? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by LukevanderKooij
Hiya! I applied to do History, but got rejected and offered Education Studies and History. I never really considered education studies, and dont know a lot about the course. I've booked the open day (Monday and Tuesday) but I was hoping to get some information before that - can any kind soul help me out? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do Education Studies and English Literature, and I highly recommend it. The course is brilliant- the lecturers are fantastic and although the Learning and Teaching module has a bit of a negative reputation, don't worry too much about it - there isn't an exam, just an essay and project work, so it's not really a big deal, and anyways - I actually quite enjoy it. The department is so so friendly and you aren't just a number to them as in some of the other larger departments. They really care for your welfare, and the department is small so you will get to know lots of people in your year. Don't be worried if you don't want to be a teacher - obviously it's very helpful if you do, but you learn about so much more. About half go on to do a PGCE. Often, you are more employable after doing a degree with two disciplines, so doing both History and Education is probably more beneficial than straight History.

Hope this helped! Any questions, just ask :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by April89
I do Education Studies and English Literature, and I highly recommend it. The course is brilliant- the lecturers are fantastic and although the Learning and Teaching module has a bit of a negative reputation, don't worry too much about it - there isn't an exam, just an essay and project work, so it's not really a big deal, and anyways - I actually quite enjoy it. The department is so so friendly and you aren't just a number to them as in some of the other larger departments. They really care for your welfare, and the department is small so you will get to know lots of people in your year. Don't be worried if you don't want to be a teacher - obviously it's very helpful if you do, but you learn about so much more. About half go on to do a PGCE. Often, you are more employable after doing a degree with two disciplines, so doing both History and Education is probably more beneficial than straight History.

This helped so much thank you! I know it may be different for English, but what effect did doing education studies have on the other half of your degree? Someone's told me that you receive less help than someone doing just that subject in the individual modules.

Again, thank you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
This helped so much thank you! I know it may be different for English, but what effect did doing education studies have on the other half of your degree? Someone's told me that you receive less help than someone doing just that subject in the individual modules.

Again, thank you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't feel like this, but Education is a much warmer department than most I think, simply because of its small size. I don't really know the lecturers, however, in my English tutorials I am treated exactly the same as everyone else and get exactly the same help - there is no favouritism towards straight English students or anything like that. To be honest, you are hard pushed to find people who do all six modules in English - often, people do one or two modules in a completely different subject. Also, I don't think your tutors are aware of what you do other than English - it's like that in the English department, anyway. Obviously I can't speak for History, but these are my experiences! What college have you applied to, by the way? :smile:
I've been assigned St Aidan's, which sounds lovely! I think I'll have to wait till the open days and take it from there - I'm really struggling to make my mind up haha! Thanks for all your help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, I am in exactly the same position! Applied for history, rejected, offered education studies and history. Currently contemplating this and was initially rather dubious about the course. I want to do a history masters and then a career in history so research/lecturing and have been told that I would still be considered to do a masters for history..
Are you accepting?
After the open day at Durham it was quite an easy decision - the Education Studies half sounds really interesting, all the professors are really nice, and St Aidan's was fab! So I am gonna firm Durham, the open day sold it for me. I suppose it's slightly different because I've never really wanted to go on to study History much further, masters probably being the limit which I think you can still do. What college have you been assigned?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by April89

All except bold is true.
After the open day at Durham it was quite an easy decision - the Education Studies half sounds really interesting, all the professors are really nice, and St Aidan's was fab! So I am gonna firm Durham, the open day sold it for me. I suppose it's slightly different because I've never really wanted to go on to study History much further, masters probably being the limit which I think you can still do. What college have you been assigned?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been assigned Hatfield, which was where I applied to. I couldn't make the open day so I went for a tour last week...it looks really nice so I'm pretty happy. Yet to firm though, can't quite bring myself to it...
Original post by ashpashpearplum
I've been assigned Hatfield, which was where I applied to. I couldn't make the open day so I went for a tour last week...it looks really nice so I'm pretty happy. Yet to firm though, can't quite bring myself to it...

Haha Hatfield looks really nice! I suppose it all depends on your other offers - I had an offer from York but didn't really feel at home on the campus so that made the decision slightly easier again, and Edinburgh is just too far away from Wales haha! What other offers have you got?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha Hatfield looks really nice! I suppose it all depends on your other offers - I had an offer from York but didn't really feel at home on the campus so that made the decision slightly easier again, and Edinburgh is just too far away from Wales haha! What other offers have you got?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have an offer from York too! And Newcastle, I'm tempted for York even though I don't really like the campus because the city is so nice. And I guess I'm tempted with Newcastle too. However, Durham is Durham really and the course is still rather good but I feel like I'm perhaps 'settling' for something less than full history..so the potential for gap year has arose. I'm still rather undecided..as you can probably tell!
Original post by ashpashpearplum
I have an offer from York too! And Newcastle, I'm tempted for York even though I don't really like the campus because the city is so nice. And I guess I'm tempted with Newcastle too. However, Durham is Durham really and the course is still rather good but I feel like I'm perhaps 'settling' for something less than full history..so the potential for gap year has arose. I'm still rather undecided..as you can probably tell!

What it came down to for me was what would I regret more - not going to the uni I wanted, or not doing the course I wanted, and for me because Durham felt so much better than York as a uni, it kinda made my choice quite easy, particularly as the course sounds much more interesting than I thought it would be! It's all about personal preference I suppose haha - its a pain having to choose, but I always thought that I'd rather have that choice and option than not having it at all!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
What it came down to for me was what would I regret more - not going to the uni I wanted, or not doing the course I wanted, and for me because Durham felt so much better than York as a uni, it kinda made my choice quite easy, particularly as the course sounds much more interesting than I thought it would be! It's all about personal preference I suppose haha - its a pain having to choose, but I always thought that I'd rather have that choice and option than not having it at all!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just wondering what you all did in the end ?? Im in the same situation a year on!!
Hey, I'm in the same position as you guys were now... Except I was rejected for IR and then got an offer to do Education and History. Did you guys end up firming it and how are you finding it?
Original post by Alex347_
Hey, I'm in the same position as you guys were now... Except I was rejected for IR and then got an offer to do Education and History. Did you guys end up firming it and how are you finding it?

Hi, I'm currently studying Education & HIstory so I can answer any specific questions you may have about the course. Personally I applied for the joint honours course so I can't say much about the decision between single or combined honour course.
In your case though the first thing I would consider is whether you'd be happy not doing any IR at all since that is what you applied for. There are, of course, some more political options within history but you have to fulfil certain requirements within your 3 history modules in first year which limits what you can do.

Like I say, feel free to ask any questions specific to the course. I absolutely loved it, but then it was the course I always wanted to do. I'll be as honest as I can about it though
Original post by Alex347_

I couldn't recommend it highly enough!! The Education department is awesome, and everyone is lovely. You get a lot of flexibility in module choices and assignments, and it's a really nice place to study. The history department isn't quite as nice, but it's still a great department with superb reputation! Hope this helps, and whatever decision you make/made it'll be awesome :-)
Ed Studies is THE BEST! There's seriously no better course at the uni. Not only are the lecturers so caring and personable, but the work is SO interesting (particularly History of Education, my fave 1st year module.) The focus is on you growing as a person, and the academic work is tailored as such, which adds a philosophical element to an already interesting subject. Also, when you get there, DO NOT DO FORMATIVES! They're such a waste of time. I don't want to pass on bad habits, but formatives are so pointless in 1st year and obe of the lecturers even said to me that he'd rather me have the uni experience than hand a single one in in 1st year.

Enjoy your next year, I'm incredibly jealous that you have it all to come, and try to not get off with too many people in Klute in freshers week. Welcome to Duz :-)
Reply 17
Original post by AcronymOfHashtag
Ed Studies is THE BEST! There's seriously no better course at the uni. Not only are the lecturers so caring and personable, but the work is SO interesting (particularly History of Education, my fave 1st year module.) The focus is on you growing as a person, and the academic work is tailored as such, which adds a philosophical element to an already interesting subject. Also, when you get there, DO NOT DO FORMATIVES! They're such a waste of time. I don't want to pass on bad habits, but formatives are so pointless in 1st year and obe of the lecturers even said to me that he'd rather me have the uni experience than hand a single one in in 1st year.

Enjoy your next year, I'm incredibly jealous that you have it all to come, and try to not get off with too many people in Klute in freshers week. Welcome to Duz :-)

Hey :smile:
So are you studying Education Studies at Durham?
What's the course like and the social life?

I'm contemplating between UCL IOE and Durham.

Thank you very very much! :biggrin:
Reply 18
Durham is one of the best in the country for Education, at least from a research point of view.

Quick Reply

Latest