The Student Room Group

Gap Year at a High School in the US - Our progress and your questions answered :)

Welcome to the ESU Secondary School Exchange Programme Thread

I started this thread in late February of 2013; it was designed as a place to talk to other people who are doing the exchange and to spread the word about the exchange, because it’s not particularly big, yet is amazing!

I went out to Virginia Episcopal School in August 2013. It is now late April 2014 and I’m graduating in a month. I have loved my time here (beyond a few little bumps at the start). I have made friends who I know will continue to support me and make me happy for years to come. I have seen parts of the world I never imagined I’d see; I’ve done things and experienced things I never thought possible. I’ve lived on a boy’s dormitory for 8 months and loved it.

There are a few other people who went out and spent two terms at high schools in various places in the US, starting in January 2014. From what I’ve heard, it’s been awesome fun for them too. k1rby is in Indiana, laurakwxo (who I had the pleasure to meet up with!) in North Carolina, and lscott95 in South Carolina. Beyond that there are a lot of people applying for positions starting in August 2014, including CluelessKid, who is taking my place at VES (:frown:).

FAQs

Here are some FAQs to try and clear up some misconceptions and answer any questions people might have!

What is the ESU?

Spoiler

What is the Secondary School Exchange?

Spoiler

How long can I go for?

Spoiler

How much does it cost?

Spoiler

Where could I go?

Spoiler

Am I eligible?

Spoiler

How do I apply?

Spoiler

When do I need to apply?

Spoiler

What happens at interview?

Spoiler

What happens next?

Spoiler

Isn’t the US dangerous?

Spoiler

Isn’t the drinking age 21?

Spoiler

Is it right for me?

Spoiler

Why do it?

Spoiler

Will I make friends?

Spoiler

What if I don't like it?

Spoiler

I want to go to California/New York etc., can I?

Spoiler

So...anyone? :rolleyes:

My blog is here http://losingmyvirginiaty.tumblr.com/ and Laura's blog is here http://www.carolinamonths.tumblr.com/

:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

No? :rolleyes:

Spoiler

Reply 2
I haven't heard of this before, but it sounds pretty interesting. I'm definitely doing a gap year but I'm still in the process of planning what I'd like to do. I'm just not sure if I can afford the cost!
Where in North America would you, ideally, like to go? I'd love to be placed in NYC.
Original post by H0ls
I haven't heard of this before, but it sounds pretty interesting. I'm definitely doing a gap year but I'm still in the process of planning what I'd like to do. I'm just not sure if I can afford the cost!
Where in North America would you, ideally, like to go? I'd love to be placed in NYC.

Yeah the two term scholarship sounds really good if you want to earn money or something beforehand. I'd really love to go to California or somewhere on the west coast but most of the schools are in the North East (in fact there're only two on the west coast). I'd be happy anywhere though! :biggrin:
Reply 4
I've applied for this... we'll see though because they seemed to apply you had to have secured a uni place and I'm applying post a level :/ hadn't seen the list of school though, didn't realise how many were in the North East
Original post by sophichka
I've applied for this... we'll see though because they seemed to apply you had to have secured a uni place and I'm applying post a level :/ hadn't seen the list of school though, didn't realise how many were in the North East

Yeah it kind of implies that but it says "plan to study at a university on return" so if you're going to go to uni after then you'll probably be alright :smile: I know, was a bit disappointed because I'd really like to go to Cali or Seattle, or even somewhere like Portland. that said... I'd love to go anywhere! :smile:
Reply 6
Just wondering if anyone had heard back about this yet?
Just wondering if anyone had heard back about this yet?

Yeah I got an interview yesterday :redface: have you?
Reply 8
Yep came through last night :smile: my email definitely says two term and I thought I'd applied for three term but I'll take it :tongue:
Reply 9
This looks cool but I don't understand it says you must be 19 years and 6 months.... surely if we are just finishing our A levels we will be 18... can someone explain
Reply 10
Please ignore my last post. Possibly the most stupid thing I have ever written.
Yep came through last night :smile: my email definitely says two term and I thought I'd applied for three term but I'll take it :tongue:

Yep I got the two-term e-mail too! I emailed them about it and they said it was a typo, so it's a three term one (if it's Friday 22nd), the interviews for two term are in October :smile:

Ready for Friday? I'm ill atm so really really hoping I feel better for then. I should be over the worst of it by then but still! :smile:
Original post by Pseudolus
Please ignore my last post. Possibly the most stupid thing I have ever written.

Haha, no, that caught me out too :biggrin:
Reply 13
And how are you paying for living expenses?
Original post by FloydRix
And how are you paying for living expenses?

Savings - I'm "lucky" enough to have had some rich great aunts/uncles who have sadly passed, and some financially savvy parents. I know it's terribly middle class. But it is a good opportunity :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by cant_think_of_name
Yep I got the two-term e-mail too! I emailed them about it and they said it was a typo, so it's a three term one (if it's Friday 22nd), the interviews for two term are in October :smile:

Ready for Friday? I'm ill atm so really really hoping I feel better for then. I should be over the worst of it by then but still! :smile:

The attatchment was three term and it said something about departing Jan 13 so I ended up deciding it was a typo, probably should have got confirmation of that but hey :tongue:

as ready as I can be I guess, really wasn't sure how to prepare for it because it's nothing like a uni one where it's subject specific so we'll see. I think my biggest dilemma right now is deciding whether to wear my school uniform or a suit (such a girl.) haha I hope you do feel better! Feeling prepared aside from that?
(edited 11 years ago)
The attatchment was three term and it said something about departing Jan 13 so I ended up deciding it was a typo, probably should have got confirmation of that but hey :tongue:

as ready as I can be I guess, really wasn't sure how to prepare for it because it's nothing like a uni one where it's subject specific so we'll see. I think my biggest dilemma right now is deciding whether to wear my school uniform or a suit (such a girl.) haha I hope you do feel better! Feeling prepared aside from that?

I know that feeling! I had a few uni interviews and they were nothing compared to this! I had no idea what to look at, American history? Or just what makes me a good candidate? I don't know! I think I'm going with jumper but I'm not sure about tie? I don't know! :frown: I'm feeling a bit better today (went to school) so hopefully it'll be alright tomorrow but going to school was so draining so we'll see what travelling to London does to me :/ What time is your group interview?? :smile:
Reply 17
Wish I had rich parents to do this.
Original post by FloydRix
Wish I had rich parents to do this.

It's not that I have rich parents by any means. I got lucky that we had some spare finances, and this opportunity came up. If money is an issue they do offer financial support, or you could opt for the two term scholarship and spend the first term working in the UK saving up money for it. It makes me sad that people miss out on stuff like this because of money :frown:
Reply 19
Original post by cant_think_of_name
I know that feeling! I had a few uni interviews and they were nothing compared to this! I had no idea what to look at, American history? Or just what makes me a good candidate? I don't know! I think I'm going with jumper but I'm not sure about tie? I don't know! :frown: I'm feeling a bit better today (went to school) so hopefully it'll be alright tomorrow but going to school was so draining so we'll see what travelling to London does to me :/ What time is your group interview?? :smile:

My group interview was at 9.30, early train to London eurgh. How do you think it went? I though it was ok, they asked some weird questions in my individual but we'll see I guess! Fingers crossed :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest