The Student Room Group

Gap Year at a High School in the US - Our progress and your questions answered :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jasminesan
I have unconditional offers from Birmingham and Nottingham, too, but I'm thinking of asking to defer my entry if I get onto this program. If I don't get on, I'll probably just go straight to either Birmingham or Nottingham. I've sent off my application- just waiting for my teacher to send a reference through. What did you write about in your personal statement?

I wrote about how a US school could benefit from having me enrolled (music and sporting achievements and academic achievements other than grades) and wrote a little on current US politics. Mainly just included extracurricular stuff and what skills I have learnt during these. Fitting it all onto one A4 sheet was a task (I had to have small text and very very narrow margins!). What did you include? I sent all mine off at the weekend but haven't received a confirmation email or anything so just wondering if you got one of those.
Original post by unmotivated-e
I wrote about how a US school could benefit from having me enrolled (music and sporting achievements and academic achievements other than grades) and wrote a little on current US politics. Mainly just included extracurricular stuff and what skills I have learnt during these. Fitting it all onto one A4 sheet was a task (I had to have small text and very very narrow margins!). What did you include? I sent all mine off at the weekend but haven't received a confirmation email or anything so just wondering if you got one of those.

Basically the same- although I focused on my musical ability, US History and US politics. Don't worry, I used a tiny size 10 font, too haha! I didn't receive a confirmation email but when I tried to redo the survey, to see if it had gone through, it did say that I'd already done the application so I'm assuming that means it's gone off?! Fingers crossed...
What preferences did you put down for your school choice? (co-ed/single sex, urban/rural?)
Basically the same- although I focused on my musical ability, US History and US politics. Don't worry, I used a tiny size 10 font, too haha! I didn't receive a confirmation email but when I tried to redo the survey, to see if it had gone through, it did say that I'd already done the application so I'm assuming that means it's gone off?! Fingers crossed...
What preferences did you put down for your school choice? (co-ed/single sex, urban/rural?)

What instrument(s) do you play?! I'm a violinist but worried that I'd have to pay for a seat for my violin or pay for special handling if I was going to take it (and I couldn't bear leaving it behind!). Ah okay that's a good sign I guess, I might try that to double check. I put down co-ed as I really couldn't imagine going to an all-girls school but I suppose if I was to be successful then I would still enjoy it nonetheless! I also put urban and a day school as I felt this may give me a little more freedom and expose myself to the culture more. Either way, if I am successful, I don't mind where I go, I would just be thankful for the opportunity!
What instrument(s) do you play?! I'm a violinist but worried that I'd have to pay for a seat for my violin or pay for special handling if I was going to take it (and I couldn't bear leaving it behind!). Ah okay that's a good sign I guess, I might try that to double check. I put down co-ed as I really couldn't imagine going to an all-girls school but I suppose if I was to be successful then I would still enjoy it nonetheless! I also put urban and a day school as I felt this may give me a little more freedom and expose myself to the culture more. Either way, if I am successful, I don't mind where I go, I would just be thankful for the opportunity!

I'm a singer primarily but I also play the piano and the violin, meaning I am also worried about the logistics of taking my violin across and whether I should ensure it etc.! I put down co-ed too as I go to a single-sex school with a mixed sixth form and I've much preferred the past two years of the sixth form. I put boarding because it's probably the closest I'll ever get to Hogwarts haha and I didn't put a preference in terms of location. I don't mind where I go either- ALL of the schools look amazing! Have you looked them up? Are there any you particularly like the look of?
Hi there

To previous applicants:
I applied for this year's secondary school exchange back when applications opened in November, and now that applications are closed I'm wondering how applicants find out whether or not they've gotten an interview? Just thinking like, should I be sitting by the phone or refreshing my emails? What's the time frame like?

Thanks in advance!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by lukelarnie
Hi there

To previous applicants:
I applied for this year's secondary school exchange back when applications opened in November, and now that applications are closed I'm wondering how applicants find out whether or not they've gotten an interview? Just thinking like, should I be sitting by the phone or refreshing my emails? What's the time frame like?

Thanks in advance!

From what I've read of the thread before it seems that you receive an email invitation to interview about 2 weeks after the deadline.
From what I've read of the thread before it seems that you receive an email invitation to interview about 2 weeks after the deadline.

Oh right! I must’ve missed that, thanks!

On the website it said that interviews are on the 5th and 6th of March, so seems like you’ll only find out whether you’ve got one a few days beforehand... Better clear the schedule just in case
Oh right! I must’ve missed that, thanks!

On the website it said that interviews are on the 5th and 6th of March, so seems like you’ll only find out whether you’ve got one a few days beforehand... Better clear the schedule just in case

yes- hopefully we get interviews! I'm curious as to how many people have applied, as this isn't something that has been very widely advertised.
yes- hopefully we get interviews! I'm curious as to how many people have applied, as this isn't something that has been very widely advertised.

Right! On the ‘conditions for applicants’ it says that successful applicants should be willing to do a few presentations at schools and the like to advertise the programme, but I wouldn’t have heard of it if I wasn’t panic-Googling scholarships at 3am last May. Good luck to all who’ve applied!
Omg I’m so glad there’s a thread on this !! I’m literally refreshing my emails every day.... good luck everyone!! :biggrin:
I'm a violinist but worried that I'd have to pay for a seat for my violin or pay for special handling if I was going to take it (and I couldn't bear leaving it behind!).

I am also worried about the logistics of taking my violin across and whether I should ensure it etc.!

When you're booking flights, search for the name of the airline and "musical instrument policy". Many airlines will allow you to take a violin on board as handluggage. Some explicitly state that they won't (avoid those ones!). Put your violin in a shaped rather than rectangular case so it's smaller, and then take minimal other handluggage (a hand bag at most). I use a violin case with a pocket so I can put a few things I need in there.

If you're really worried you can invest in / try to borrow a flight case that only fits the instrument and not the bow - these are within handluggage sizes for all airlines (afaik). I've never had to do this and have always managed to take my instrument on board for transatlantic flights (I wouldn't count on Ryanair!). I always print out a copy of the airline's policy and take it to the airport in case they argue with me!

And yes, you should insure it :-)
Same! Good luck!
Wahhh! I got an interview - got the email just now! Good luck to you all

Congratulations! I got one too! When/what time is yours?
Thank you so much for the advice! I will definitely have a look at different airline policies if successful

Same! Congratulations! Mine is for Wednesday afternoon, when is yours?
Original post by georgiaacatton
Omg I’m so glad there’s a thread on this !! I’m literally refreshing my emails every day.... good luck everyone!! :biggrin:

Yay more people!! I wonder how many applicants they actually get each year as I don't know how well advertised it is, hopefully not too many fingers crossed!
Congratulations! I got one too! When/what time is yours?

Well done to you - and to you unmotivated-e!
I’m Wednesday morning!
Just heard about interview - well done all!
Congrats guys! If any of you have any questions about the programme, feel free to drop me a message and I will answer it as best as I can. Best of luck with the interviews.

Quick Reply

Latest