Applying to universities after sitting for exams as a private candidate?

Watch
You-know-who
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi! I've sat for my O Levels as a private candidate, and am planning to do the same for my A Levels. Now most universities ask for a High School Report and Transcript, which I don't have since I technically didn't go to school. So does my case stand as being home-schooled? I've had teachers and have followed the Edexcel curriculum for my studies, but a lot of people have suggested that it's harder for students to get accepted in universities abroad without a high school transcript. What do you guys think?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think with results it should be ok - but you need to put some thought now into who will write your reference. UCAS don't recommend a family member to write your reference (which will also include predicted A level grades) but obviously it does need to be someone who is familiar with you academically and ideally someone familiar with the process for writing university references.

http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/apply...pply/reference gives some guidance - if you're planning on applying in September then it's worth spending some time speaking to potential referees now so that they're prepared and understand what you're asking for.
You-know-who
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
I think with results it should be ok - but you need to put some thought now into who will write your reference. UCAS don't recommend a family member to write your reference (which will also include predicted A level grades) but obviously it does need to be someone who is familiar with you academically and ideally someone familiar with the process for writing university references.

http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/apply...pply/reference gives some guidance - if you're planning on applying in September then it's worth spending some time speaking to potential referees now so that they're prepared and understand what you're asking for.
My teachers should be able to help me with the reference. Do I have to explain my whole situation to the universities when I apply? Because frankly, it has a lot to do with "teachers not teaching the topics properly at school" - a very South-East Asian issue. I was thinking about avoiding the whole thing because explaining "home-schooled" is a lot less complicated, but isn't it better to just be honest?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by You-know-who)
My teachers should be able to help me with the reference. Do I have to explain my whole situation to the universities when I apply? Because frankly, it has a lot to do with "teachers not teaching the topics properly at school" - a very South-East Asian issue. I was thinking about avoiding the whole thing because explaining "home-schooled" is a lot less complicated, but isn't it better to just be honest?
That's the sort of thing your referee would explain very briefly in their reference. The fact that you've taken exams as an external candidate will be obvious because you'll have to show that when you input your qualifications.

Ideally with ALL uni applications the focus isn't on what you've done and where you've been but on the subject you want to study, why you want to study it and what makes you a good candidate. From a university perspective someone who is homeschooled - especially someone who has self directed a lot of their study - is a very good candidate. At university the focus is very much on you learning rather than on them teaching so demonstrating that you can manage your own studying is a BIG bonus.
You-know-who
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
That's the sort of thing your referee would explain very briefly in their reference. The fact that you've taken exams as an external candidate will be obvious because you'll have to show that when you input your qualifications.

Ideally with ALL uni applications the focus isn't on what you've done and where you've been but on the subject you want to study, why you want to study it and what makes you a good candidate. From a university perspective someone who is homeschooled - especially someone who has self directed a lot of their study - is a very good candidate. At university the focus is very much on you learning rather than on them teaching so demonstrating that you can manage your own studying is a BIG bonus.
This helped a lot, thank you!
Cherry82
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
That's the sort of thing your referee would explain very briefly in their reference. The fact that you've taken exams as an external candidate will be obvious because you'll have to show that when you input your qualifications...
In terms of finding someone to do my reference, could it be my old secondary school head teacher from 2 years ago? I no longer go to the school, neither am I a student there any more but I had spent 5 years with my old school so though I hadn't sat my A levels with them, the teachers know me well there especially the head teacher. Self teaching A levels would me I would have no tutor so even a tutor couldn't do my reference as I wouldn't exactly have one. I'm not sure what to do.
username738914
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Cherry82)
In terms of finding someone to do my reference, could it be my old secondary school head teacher from 2 years ago? I no longer go to the school, neither am I a student there any more but I had spent 5 years with my old school so though I hadn't sat my A levels with them, the teachers know me well there especially the head teacher. Self teaching A levels would me I would have no tutor so even a tutor couldn't do my reference as I wouldn't exactly have one. I'm not sure what to do.
You can use your old teacher.

Basically the reference is for someone who is able to comment fully on your academic ability, suitability for HE and suitability for the course of study you wish to undertake.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (181)
44.15%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (46)
11.22%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (33)
8.05%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (86)
20.98%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (41)
10%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (23)
5.61%

Watched Threads