Sulphur
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I'm currently holding two offers for chemical engineering at both Loughborough and Nottingham, the latter being the highest offer.

I am absolutely torn between these two universities; I've visited lborough for my interview and I really liked the overall vibe I got, the teachers seemed great and the support given was good (maths support center ftw).

I haven't visited notts yet but I assume it's much more aesthetically pleasing and the nightlife is better. In terms of worldwide reputation I know notts is higher and that lborough isn't well know outside the UK.

Would you say that lborough is better at chemeng than notts?
All of the UK rankings place lborough second to notts in both general and, afaik, for subject matter. I'm currently edging towards notts because of the reputation it has and the additional perks (better looking, friends going there, russell group), however I feel I might be making a huge mistake and that lborough will provide me with a much better education (many rankings report a low satisfaction with course and support at notts for chemeng , is there much accuracy to this?).

I'd specifically like input from people who are studying/have studied engineering, preferably at either of these universities. Thanks!

PS: Would your opinion change if Sheffield was thrown in the mix?
SaharEsf
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Nottingham is a really good univeristy(I am currently living here) especially for engineering. I would say go for nottingham because it is also a russel group uni. I would say sheffield is them! To be honest the top 20 unis in uk are really good you can not really compare them apart from some courses such as medicine, law or dentistry!
From my experience you should love your course and the city that you are studying in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sulphur
Rep:
?
Yeah I'm waiting to go to notts so I can see the facilities offered, talk to teachers and go about the town/uni and see how I feel about it. Once I've seen it in the flesh I think i'll have a better idea of where to go. Thanks for your reply.
Kyta
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm currently in my 2nd year doing chem eng at nottingham, and I was also a little bit torn between Loughborough and Nottingham. I don't know how sporty you are, but Loughborough is very, very keen on the athletic side of uni life. What's more, while Loughborough's engineering department is of a very high standard, a lot of the other departments in the uni are apparently not as good (not speakng from experience, just what I've heard). That's why I chose Nottingham; I wanted to be surrounded by lots of people who had an equal ambition/ability/standard in their respective courses, not be the odd one out in a sea of people doing sport science!

I don't know whether or not this is the corect view of things at Loughborough, and honestly I'd say you should speak to people who go there before making a decision if you're this torn; however I am fairly happy with he way things have gone in Nottingham, and the course is being redesigned at the moment to make the engineers who come out incredibly experienced at design work, which apparently (?) not a lot of other unis train their chem engers in (they mostly do theory work and then are thrust into the practical world in their jobs apparently).

As for Nottingham itself, the campus is beautiful, and the nightlife is definitely excellent. Most of the way through my second year at uni and I'm still planning outings to new bars and still have clubs I haven't ticked off yet! I don't know about Loughborough though, although I assume its nightlife is pretty good too.

In the end, your choice. Do some more research and such :P
Sulphur
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kyta)
I'm currently in my 2nd year doing chem eng at nottingham, and I was also a little bit torn between Loughborough and Nottingham. I don't know how sporty you are, but Loughborough is very, very keen on the athletic side of uni life. What's more, while Loughborough's engineering department is of a very high standard, a lot of the other departments in the uni are apparently not as good (not speakng from experience, just what I've heard). That's why I chose Nottingham; I wanted to be surrounded by lots of people who had an equal ambition/ability/standard in their respective courses, not be the odd one out in a sea of people doing sport science!

I don't know whether or not this is the corect view of things at Loughborough, and honestly I'd say you should speak to people who go there before making a decision if you're this torn; however I am fairly happy with he way things have gone in Nottingham, and the course is being redesigned at the moment to make the engineers who come out incredibly experienced at design work, which apparently (?) not a lot of other unis train their chem engers in (they mostly do theory work and then are thrust into the practical world in their jobs apparently).

As for Nottingham itself, the campus is beautiful, and the nightlife is definitely excellent. Most of the way through my second year at uni and I'm still planning outings to new bars and still have clubs I haven't ticked off yet! I don't know about Loughborough though, although I assume its nightlife is pretty good too.

In the end, your choice. Do some more research and such :P
Detailed explanation, I appreciate it. I'll definitely be looking to visit Nottingham on an open day as soon as I can. Could you tell me how you about the chemeng dept., I heard they made some renovation/added a building is this true?
randomm1
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
hi, i know this is an old thread but where did you decide to go in the end? and how is it? im currently in the exact same position as you, but edging towards nottingham
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (220)
43.65%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (57)
11.31%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.74%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (106)
21.03%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (55)
10.91%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.36%

Watched Threads