Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    STEP is capable of reducing anybody to tears, it consistently makes me feel like a blithering idiot. Spotting the things which are meant to be spotted is like spotting that a glacier has moved 0.00001m. Why is it mathematicians have to sit this again? Is two of the hardest alevels possible not enough? Why is it not clear at all what I can assume and can't, why do I sometimes not even realise when I've finished a question? Why on earth did they ever think I was a competent mathematician?

*this close to giving up* *makes wee space with fingers* >=(

[/self pity]

ReputationRep:
    oh god... here comes the whining from the Cam applicants. Balliol mate. No worries like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yannis)
    oh god... here comes the whining from the Cam applicants. Balliol mate. No worries like that.
    Pity me Tell me it's not fair Give me a magic solution.

ReputationRep:
    Where do you get STEP papers from? Can you send me some? I'm really interested in them...

On a more helpful note, never give up trying, I'm sure deep down someone going to cambridge and taking further maths enjoys the challenge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    Where do you get STEP papers from? Can you send me some? I'm really interested in them...

On a more helpful note, never give up trying, I'm sure deep down someone going to cambridge and taking further maths enjoys the challenge.
    OCR get quite protective over the copyrights so I can't send you any sorry. There's one online though,

http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...text/text.html

This is STEP II, STEP III is considerably harder, and without causing controversy, that's probably one of the more straight forward STEP II papers.

I've been trying hard for months now and I am still nothing more than marginally better, I would still get 0 if I was to take the paper I am pretty sure. The questions are cool, but I just can't push myself against this brick wall anymore. I am no good at this stuff and really have to admit it. The chances of me suddenly improving now really do seem to be -> 0.

ReputationRep:
    Please note: I am a dramaqueen. I will get over myself soon.

ReputationRep:
    Oh don't worry about it at all, everyone struggles the first few times they come up against STEP questions, it's all a case of getting used to the difficulty level, and knowing how to approach the questions. Over time, I'm sure you'll get a better understanding of everything you know, which comes with practice, and the questions will gradually seem easier and easier. Don't panic, I'm sure you'll come through

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    I feel sorry for you.

BTW: If you don't meet the offer, there is still a lot of people out there wh won't either!

ReputationRep:
    How many exams are there and when are they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    Oh don't worry about it at all, everyone struggles the first few times they come up against STEP questions, it's all a case of getting used to the difficulty level, and knowing how to approach the questions. Over time, I'm sure you'll get a better understanding of everything you know, which comes with practice, and the questions will gradually seem easier and easier. Don't panic, I'm sure you'll come through
    theone, has anybody in history ever got 100% on all the STEP Papers they took?

ReputationRep:
    I really appreciate your advice I really do, but I can't help but feel it's just not happening for me. People say I'll pickup momentum, I'll get used to it, but every time I do stumble across a solution it just compounds my feelings of stupidity and inadequacy "I can't believe I was so slow to notice that." It gets particularly frustrating when I resort to asking for help, and the teachers can't do it either, so I'm back when I started. I also can't follow Dr Siklo's book for some reason, more evidence for myself that I'm not even on the learning curve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Veedy)
    I think they do 2 3 hour exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    theone, has anybody in history ever got 100% on all the STEP Papers they took?
    In all honesty, it is very likely that someone has.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Veedy)
    Two three hour papers at the end of June.

ReputationRep:
    In all honesty, it is very likely that someone has.
    mmm, I'm not so sure, 100% on 2 STEP Papers is a mean feat. But yes, there is probably some freak out there who has done.

ReputationRep:
    Two three hour papers at the end of June.
    Here is pause for thought:

Lets say, if you were extremely ill on the day of the exams, and couldn't turn up.

Would Cambridge favour you to give you the place, say, over some1 who did the STEP Papers and failed to meet the offer?

They may sympathize.

ReputationRep:
    I really appreciate your advice I really do, but I can't help but feel it's just not happening for me. People say I'll pickup momentum, I'll get used to it, but every time I do stumble across a solution it just compounds my feelings of stupidity and inadequacy "I can't believe I was so slow to notice that." It gets particularly frustrating when I resort to asking for help, and the teachers can't do it either, so I'm back when I started. I also can't follow Dr Siklo's book for some reason, more evidence for myself that I'm not even on the learning curve.
    Dr Siklos' book is fairly difficult, the solutions only seem easy to follow, or at least possible to follow, if you've had a decent go at the question. It will happen for you, if you make it happen I think. All you've got to do is really put your head down and do as many questions as you can, make sure you know the syllabus thoroughly, and if you can't do a question straightaway, don't hunt for a solution, sit there and think for some time, even an hour, or have a break and think about it in passing. Once you begin to develop that understanding, things will gradually become a lot clearer, as I'm sure they will. Don't worry, you're definitely on the curve

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    mmm, I'm not so sure, 100% on 2 STEP Papers is a mean feat. But yes, there is probably some freak out there who has done.
    Given that several International Maths Olympiad people who go to cambrigde have to take step, and their level of maths is likely to be very high first year university at least, i'd say it's quite likely.

ReputationRep:
    I found Siklos really helpful, even though I'm not sitting the papers. I did the questions before my Oxford entrance paper and interview and I thought that was good preparation

ReputationRep:
    Dr Siklos' book is fairly difficult, the solutions only seem easy to follow, or at least possible to follow, if you've had a decent go at the question. It will happen for you, if you make it happen I think. All you've got to do is really put your head down and do as many questions as you can, make sure you know the syllabus thoroughly, and if you can't do a question straightaway, don't hunt for a solution, sit there and think for some time, even an hour, or have a break and think about it in passing. Once you begin to develop that understanding, things will gradually become a lot clearer, as I'm sure they will. Don't worry, you're definitely on the curve
    Yes, the curve that goes to infinity! (that is sort of some terrible joke as how the curve enver ends as STEP is solid..)

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.