Turn on thread page Beta

The infinite stress of STEP. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam99)
    i know someone who got 49/50, which i think is a distinction? I don't really know that much about STEP, but this guy that I know was pretty much a maths genius!
    49/50 on the IMO? Very impressive, extremely impressive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meepmeep)
    49/50 on the IMO? Very impressive, extremely impressive.
    I doubt it, the IMO is out of 42. Perhaps the person is refering to the Intermediate Maths Olympiad.

ReputationRep:
    hi everyone.

Im doing STEP II and III and need 1,2 to get into emma college cam.
    I've just started seriously looking at the papers and find that i can do the pure questions ok, but the mechanics questions are quite tricky. they seem to take me ages to get through - lots of algebra. Also, there are loads of subtle conditions when using rules (usually inequalities) that make it hard to complete the question. has anyone else found this? Hopefully stuff like vectors and complex numbers dont turn up - they always seem to be about geometry.

On the meiklerrigs site (linked to NRICH), you can ask for application forms to go to his STEP seminars which each last a day and are held in newcastle. If you cant find a decent tutor, or your teacher doesnt give much help - like me - then this seems a good thing to go to.

What colleges have you all got offers from, and for what grades?

Tatum

ReputationRep:
    I disagree again.

The problem with these test things is that different people have been taight different ways. I know that at lots of private schools they get more time to do extra work, and maybe they have been taught in maths to look at problems objectively and how to do about solving them. At comps they struggle just to get the sylabus taught. There is such an uneven amount of teaching out there, its not going to be fair anyway.

Im not suggesting loads of help, but if youve never seen these probs and dont have a clue how to go abotu them, then i thinka bit of help to get going might be helpful. And yes, you will have tutor at cambrige to help! Thats the best thing about cambridge!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzy_vet)
    I disagree again.

The problem with these test things is that different people have been taight different ways. I know that at lots of private schools they get more time to do extra work, and maybe they have been taught in maths to look at problems objectively and how to do about solving them. At comps they struggle just to get the sylabus taught. There is such an uneven amount of teaching out there, its not going to be fair anyway.

Im not suggesting loads of help, but if youve never seen these probs and dont have a clue how to go abotu them, then i thinka bit of help to get going might be helpful. And yes, you will have tutor at cambrige to help! Thats the best thing about cambridge!
    In fairness though, there are about 10 kids who have offers at manchester grammar (actually a private school), and yes they're all getting tonnes of tuition, they're getting all the help they could ever want. But their offers are ridiculously high (S,1) (S,S) sort of thing. All for fairly academic colleges but I think most people agree that they probably wouldn't give that to a state school applicant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drederick Tatum)
    hi everyone.

I've just started seriously looking at the papers and find that i can do the pure questions ok, but the mechanics questions are quite tricky. they seem to take me ages to get through - lots of algebra. Also, there are loads of subtle conditions when using rules (usually inequalities) that make it hard to complete the question. has anyone else found this? Hopefully stuff like vectors and complex numbers dont turn up - they always seem to be about geometry.

On the meiklerrigs site (linked to NRICH), you can ask for application forms to go to his STEP seminars which each last a day and are held in newcastle. If you cant find a decent tutor, or your teacher doesnt give much help - like me - then this seems a good thing to go to.

Tatum

I feel like you about the mechanics, I quite like them actually. I've found as long as I keep a systematic approach, and make sure I was confident with my techniques I was fine. Like at first, I'd do say partial fractions on something and mix up a sign or something daft, and obviously this would effect the rest of the question. So as long as I make sure I'm sorting out those algebraic messups I seem to do quite well. Also the subtle conditions and inequalities get me too, for example the last question I was doing, I didn't realise that for a skydiver jumping out of a plane you could assume that when t = 0, v = 0 and so never sorted out my constants.

I emailed that Peter guy about the gateshead STEP event, thanks for the heads up on that, sound like it will be quite good if I can get a place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meepmeep)
    I'm getting to grips with the STEP now (can do the questions but sturggle within the time constraints). I find that reading the solution out to someone else who will be able to understand the maths regularly helps - I usually end up spotting my mistake when talking it through.

I think if you approach it thinking it is impossible, they will stay that way, but if you approach it thinking "I can do this" then you start to get to grips with them. Yes, they are very hard, but they're not impossible. That and lining up an insurance offer which you'd be happy at.

Good luck.
    I will try that.

I don't normally approach it thinking it's impossible, just last night. YOu know when you get so fed up, and just want to kick a wall.

Thanks for the advice, and best of luck with your preparation.

Lex.

ReputationRep:
    At least you have an offer from cambridge!

Say, if you dont meet your offer, any chance of me having your place :d

At our college they run STEP classes, i jus go to them for no apparent reason (dint get in to cambs), i jus felt like doing them anyway, step II is "do-able" but step III is friggin hard, but its also kinda fun doin some of the questions, i definately think it gets better with practice.

PS. i do have a life............................ .sorta

ReputationRep:
    That's my problem, how can you practice without practice papers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    I feel like you about the mechanics, I quite like them actually. I've found as long as I keep a systematic approach, and make sure I was confident with my techniques I was fine. Like at first, I'd do say partial fractions on something and mix up a sign or something daft, and obviously this would effect the rest of the question. So as long as I make sure I'm sorting out those algebraic messups I seem to do quite well. Also the subtle conditions and inequalities get me too, for example the last question I was doing, I didn't realise that for a skydiver jumping out of a plane you could assume that when t = 0, v = 0 and so never sorted out my constants.

I emailed that Peter guy about the gateshead STEP event, thanks for the heads up on that, sound like it will be quite good if I can get a place
    wot gateshead step thing???

ReputationRep:
    Read backa bit more, someone was talking about it I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drederick Tatum)
    hi everyone.

Tatum
    i (somehow) got an offer from girton - i need grades 2,2 or 1,3 on STEP II and III. i have a lesson over lunch on a friday (straight after pure and stats lessons, and straight before it i have even more pure.... :rolleyes: 3 1/2 hours of maths back to back).
    i do a past paper per week, usually having a go at about 6/7 questions, mostly the pure, and hand them in the day before my lesson for marking.... still havent completely finished a question yet, but i came close once, and im still working on STEP II. in the lesson on fridays my teacher gets out his answers to the same questions which i did.
    its the same think every week...... 'right, you were on the right track with this, but you needed to do this, that and the other to this equation, then do this to that, substitute this into the first one, solve that inequality, divide that by 1/cos ^2 x....' i really dont know how im expected to be able to do that in the exam! agggghhhhh!!!! :mad:
    thankfully, my teacher's being really helpful with it all, and as im the only person in the year doing STEP he's trying to organise a mini-STEP course with some other teachers he knows in the area who are teaching STEP candidates. really dont think that's going to help....... i know what im going to be saying on results day in august - "hello, manchester!!"

Donna
    -x-

ReputationRep:
    Are people here planning to tackle statistics questions for STEP? The teacher who is helping me at Manchester Grammar is desparately urging me to study some stats 3 topics in order that I can tackle stats questions on STEP 3. (I've only done S1/S2). Personally I think this is a wee bit silly, not only do I hate statistics anyway, it'd be an awful lot of work to remember the statistics that I haven't studied for over a year now, and then learn more, and then get it up to STEP standard. I'd much prefer to do mechanics and pure, though I've only done up to mechanics 3, do mechanics questions on STEP III require M4+?

ReputationRep:
    STEP is capable of reducing anybody to tears, it consistently makes me feel like a blithering idiot. Spotting the things which are meant to be spotted is like spotting that a glacier has moved 0.00001m. Why is it mathematicians have to sit this again? Is two of the hardest alevels possible not enough? Why is it not clear at all what I can assume and can't, why do I sometimes not even realise when I've finished a question? Why on earth did they ever think I was a competent mathematician?

*this close to giving up* *makes wee space with fingers* >=(

[/self pity]
    Because you bloody well are unless you happen to know several admissions tutors and your daddy bribed them. But judging from your prevous posts I conclude that my previous statement is not true. So you are capable, practise and meet your step requirements even if you have to stop having a life. I'd kill to do maths at cambridge. Unfortunately I can't do reduction formulae.

ReputationRep:
    YOu know when you get so fed up, and just want to kick a wall.
    Don't do that, your parents won't like a gaping hole in the plaster work. Trust me.

A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    Because you bloody well are unless you happen to know several admissions tutors and your daddy bribed them. But judging from your prevous posts I conclude that my previous statement is not true. So you are capable, practise and meet your step requirements even if you have to stop having a life. I'd kill to do maths at cambridge.

Do excuse my rant which began this thread. I'm sure I don't need to point out that I was just being a big baby, and knew it at the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alaric)
    Don't do that, your parents won't like a gaping hole in the plaster work. Trust me.

A.
    They might not be so willing to take me to A&E then either.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't know, further maths in our college doesn't even teach M3 (but definately does P1-P6), so perhaps only the pure questions are harder and the STEP III mechanics and stats require upto M2 and S2 plus upto P6 knowledge but with applied concepts?

I don't know :s but it wouldn't be fair on someone only having done P1-P6, M1M2, S1S2 and D1D2 like they do in our college, since there is no decision part to the exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    I wouldn't know, further maths in our college doesn't even teach M3 (but definately does P1-P6), so perhaps only the pure questions are harder and the STEP III mechanics and stats require upto M2 and S2 plus upto P6 knowledge but with applied concepts?

I don't know :s but it wouldn't be fair on someone only having done P1-P6, M1M2, S1S2 and D1D2 like they do in our college, since there is no decision part to the exams.
    I also do D1. They probably could consider it fair because you could answer completely pure questions. I know you certainly have to have done level 3 modules to answer the applied questions in STEP III, and I imagine alot of the time it's level4/5 too.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.