Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... even the STEP I questions I find tough to do, I can imagine how you feel having to do well in STEP II and III.

Bah. Don't worry, you'll probaby do fine in it.

ReputationRep:
    Fishpaste, I'm planning to have a go at the stats questions from step II / step III. If you want to learn stuff, don't concentrate on S3, S4, (edexcel) which are all technical books about chi-squared, central limit theorem, as it's hard to ask challenging questions on these topics. The S5 stuff, negative binomial and exponential distributions, and probability generating functions, are both a lot easier for someone who likes pure and far more like to be set in the exam. But the stats questions can be random, sometimes i can do 2, sometimes i can do 0....

Chris

ReputationRep:
    Ive only done S1 but can do some of the more "common sense" stats questions on STEP II that only require elementry probability and stuff like E(x), however in the exam i will almost certainly do pure and mech. It is quite useful to M4 for STEP because although no knowledge is explicitly required some questions do come up which use standard M4 concepts such as air resistance and variable forces etc, and getting practice on these will help. There are some M5 topics needed for STEP III like variable mass and angular momentum but unless you have actually done M5 and are feeling very confident i would stay well clear of these questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    Fishpaste, I'm planning to have a go at the stats questions from step II / step III. If you want to learn stuff, don't concentrate on S3, S4, (edexcel) which are all technical books about chi-squared, central limit theorem, as it's hard to ask challenging questions on these topics. The S5 stuff, negative binomial and exponential distributions, and probability generating functions, are both a lot easier for someone who likes pure and far more like to be set in the exam. But the stats questions can be random, sometimes i can do 2, sometimes i can do 0....

Chris
    Yeah I think I'll learn about these probability generating functions, but that's it. It's funny because S5 isn't even on my board.

As for the M4 stuff that "It'sPhil" mentioned, I think that's M4 on my board. Is it just things like resistance = f(v) etc? Just out interest what on earth is variable mass? That sounds quite comical.

ReputationRep:
    Varibale mass?

Would that be like a balloon that's been untied and as the air rushes out its mass decreases so it speeds up?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I'm just dense but what is the STEP paper and how come some of you are doing it?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    Varibale mass?

Would that be like a balloon that's been untied and as the air rushes out its mass decreases so it speeds up?
    I think you may be thinking of pressure here - air has infitessimal mass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    Maybe I'm just dense but what is the STEP paper and how come some of you are doing it?!
    Cambridge ask the maths applicants to take STEP - In bog standard words, rock hard 3 hour maths exams.

There are 3 types:

STEP I
    STEP II
    STEP III

In ascending order of difficulty - the college will require a certain grade from certain papers in order to meet the offer.

However, many, many people fail to meet the offer as STEP is really hard, therefore giving places to those who missed out can often be a lottery - Although they look at the marks, therefore if you were a enar miss you are more likely to get in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono_3)
    Cambridge ask the maths applicants to take STEP - In bog standard words, rock hard 3 hour maths exams.

There are 3 types:

STEP I
    STEP II
    STEP III

In ascending order of difficulty - the college will require a certain grade from certain papers in order to meet the offer.

However, many, many people fail to meet the offer as STEP is really hard, therefore giving places to those who missed out can often be a lottery - Although they look at the marks, therefore if you were a enar miss you are more likely to get in.
    Awww poor you!!! Oxford don't do they? When i was there for my physics interview there were lots of maths applicants there nd they had a maths exam at interview tht was apparantly v.v.v.v.hard but none of them told me about step papers! So glad they don't do anyhting like that for physics! You lot should all have applied to do Maths at Oxford!

Good Luck with your results and I'm sure you'll all pass!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)

Chris
    There were two similar ones from STEP 3 in 2003 and 2001 in the probability and stats questions which seemed relatively easy even compared to the pure ones (both recursive method - one about rabbits in holes and the other about a coin tossing game). I didn't need any knowledge even beyond GCSE, although it did require a bit of logical thinking...

And thanks to whoever posted that link for the Meikelriggs' STEP training day. Have stuck my name forward for that. Will be a nice change to have tuition rather than doing all the questions by myself.

(Original post by Hoofbeat)
    Awww poor you!!! Oxford don't do they? When i was there for my physics interview there were lots of maths applicants there nd they had a maths exam at interview tht was apparantly v.v.v.v.hard but none of them told me about step papers! So glad they don't do anyhting like that for physics! You lot should all have applied to do Maths at Oxford!

Good Luck with your results and I'm sure you'll all pass!
    Yeah, it's much easier to get into maths at Oxford. At parents evening my teacher told several people they would "walk into Oxford". Only a complete genius was told to go for Cambridge, if that's what he wanted. Apparently the pooling system + STEP means that some very talented candidates can be rejected.

He also claims that Oxford maths test is really easy, just a bit harder than the maths test the physicists take. He's probably not exagdurrating: my maths class could already do a few of the questions from it that he gave us.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.