Turn on thread page Beta

no sciences for A-Level watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Do u really need to do a science subject at A-Level?
    I don't like sciences and didnt want to spend 2 years doing a subject which I don't really like.
    I do ICT, Classics, History and Business Studies

With these subjects will I be liked by unis if I get good grades in them and don't take sciences?
    Will I get a lot of career choices with these subjects?

ReputationRep:
    What is it your thinking of doing at university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolguy)
    I don't like sciences and didnt want to spend 2 years doing a subject which I don't really like.

With these subjects will I be liked by unis if I get good grades in them and don't take sciences?
    I don't do any sciences, and it hasn't caused me too many problems... Of course if you wanted to do any science related subjects at uni, that would be a problem. Otherwise, so long as you get the grades then it shouldn't be.

ReputationRep:
    I want to do business management or accounting at uni

ReputationRep:
    I would say History and Classics are "respected" A Levels. I should think lack of science subjects would only be a problem if you wanted to do a science related degree, as long as you have okay grades at GCSE science it should be fine otherwise.

ReputationRep:

Well they are okay. I'd drop one Business or ICT and do three subjects where 2/3 are respected. But it's better you having a good mixture than doing the same as everyone else: 3 sciences and maths or English Lit, History, French or Geography, Economics and Maths.

You don't need sciences unless you want to go and do something like business/economics at a really good university. And even then you'd just need maths. Don't bother doing sciences if you don't like them.

ReputationRep:
    I want to do business management or accounting at uni
    I guess that Maths could be helpful, but a lot of universities will still except you as long have you have a decent grade at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus)
    I guess that Maths could be helpful, but a lot of universities will still except you as long have you have a decent grade at GCSE.
    No, he would need A-Level Maths.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing a science (Biology) because i enjoy it despite the fact i'm going to read English Literature at Uni this Sept

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Depends where he wants to apply.

Southampton University have a fairly good reputation yet according to the entry requirements on the UCAS website a-level maths isn't even mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    If I got a low grade, say E or U (which I hope I don't) will I still be able to study Business Management or any other business related courses at good unis??????

ReputationRep:
    I've just had a quick look on some websites. Cardiff doesn't require any subjects in particular for any of the Business or Economics related degrees. Exeter asks for a B or above at GCSE Maths for most, only Management and Stats requires A Level Maths. Bristol does require Maths A Level for all their Econcomics related courses. I advise taking a look at the entry requirements for any unis you are considering as they all seem to be different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Not neccesary. Good general A-levels and a decent GCSE mathematics grade are generally sufficient.

ReputationRep:
    If I got a low grade, say E or U (which I hope I don't) will I still be able to study Business Management or any other business related courses at good unis

At a-level or at AS?

If you get a low grade at a-level than its unlikely but if you get a low grade in one of your AS levels and then subsequently decide to drop it/ re-sit it then you'll probably still be able to get into a good uni, as most offers are based on 3 a-levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Not for management but definately for accounting.

ReputationRep:
    If I got a low grade, say E or U (which I hope I don't) will I still be able to study Business Management or any other business related courses at good unis??????
    For Business degrees maths is not needed and a good grade in another subject would be better than an E in maths. For York's management, IT and languages degree, any subjects can be taken.

ReputationRep:
    better get on the phone to TVU mate

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.