The Student Room Group

Disability benefits and student finance

Hi, just wondering if anyone can help. I am currently receiving out of work benefits because I have a lot of disability problems which makes it difficult for me. However I have now decided that I want to give university a go and try to go into employment eventually. Does anyone know what to do about student finance. Do I just apply as normal and enter national insurance number etc. I am quite worried and confused thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by add4
Hi, just wondering if anyone can help. I am currently receiving out of work benefits because I have a lot of disability problems which makes it difficult for me. However I have now decided that I want to give university a go and try to go into employment eventually. Does anyone know what to do about student finance. Do I just apply as normal and enter national insurance number etc. I am quite worried and confused thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Idk.. I want to know too.. *lurks*

:cool:
Reply 2
Original post by add4

Posted from TSR Mobile

Howdies,

Yes, you apply for student finance as normal, answering any questions you are required to answer on the form. The basic application is no different to people on benefits/out of work than it is for those in employment or education.

However, you will need to let your local Jobcentre know when you begin studies as, depending on what sort of benefits you receive and your financial situation, it may affect the benefits you claim.

For example, Job Seekers Allowance is paid to people who are looking for work. As a full time student you can't be classed as available and looking for work so therefore cannot claim it when a full time student.

Employment and Support may still be claimed as a full time student, but you will need to declare how much Student Finance you receive and this will be taken into account.

Housing Benefit/Local Housing Allowance can still be claimed as a full time student if claiming Disability Living Allowance. Again a recipient will need to inform his or her local authority of their student finance entitlement. However, it might be reduced, especially if no longer claiming income based JSA or ESA.

Disability Living Allowance is paid to people with mobility or care needs and isn't income based so whether you are in employment, unemployed or in education is relevant, neither is your student finance or amount of savings.

Also, sorry for not replying to your PM earlier but I've been busy with voluntary work and only really settled down now. I hope you don't mind me covering it here. I believe you answer according to the course you hope to study for. For example, if you want to study for a full-time degree then you will chose full time. If you're applying for part-time study you will study part time.

If you're still unsure then it's probably best asking here as I have limited experience with Student Finance England. When I applied student finance was assessed by Local Education Authorities (and was a far better system imo). I only dealt with SFE in my final year.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by River85
Employment and Support may still be claimed as a full time student, but you will need to declare how much Student Finance you receive and this will be taken into account.

You have to be claiming DLA to claim ESA as a full time student. If the ESA is income based, some of your student loan is disregarded. (ignored)

If you receive DLA, you're entitled to the special support grant instead of the maintenance grant. The special support grant is ignored in full for benefits.
Reply 4
Original post by OU Student
You have to be claiming DLA to claim ESA as a full time student. If the ESA is income based, some of your student loan is disregarded. (ignored)

Yes, sorry, forgot (I'm shattered). I actually originally forgot to mention that you need to claim DLA (or be one of the few small number of exempt groups) in order to claim for Housing Benefit. However, I realised I edited the post within seconds. I clearly didn't notice I did the same with ESA :colone:

So just to clarify, you may be able to claim ESA and Housing Benefit as a full time student if you are claiming DLA. However, any maintenance loan (and maintenance grant) you receive, as well as some other kinds of student finance, will be taken into consideration when calculating entitlement.

If you receive DLA, you're entitled to the special support grant instead of the maintenance grant. The special support grant is ignored in full for benefits.

And yes, the Special Support grant can be claimed in place of the Maintenace Grant. The difference between the Maintenance Grant and Special Support Grant is that the SSG is not considered as income when deciding entitlement to benefits whereas the Maintenance Loan

When I say that "all student finance will be considered when deciding on eligibility for benefits" I mean all student finance that is normally classed as income (ie. "normal" finance and not the Special Support Grant or Disabled Students Allowance).

I thought this had already been explained to the OP in a previous thread but, after doing a quick search, cannot find the post in which I explained it.
Reply 5
Original post by River85
Yes, sorry, forgot (I'm shattered). I actually originally forgot to mention that you need to claim DLA (or be one of the few small number of exempt groups) in order to claim for Housing Benefit. However, I realised I edited the post within seconds. I clearly didn't notice I did the same with ESA :colone:

So just to clarify, you may be able to claim ESA and Housing Benefit as a full time student if you are claiming DLA. However, any maintenance loan (and maintenance grant) you receive, as well as some other kinds of student finance, will be taken into consideration when calculating entitlement.

And yes, the Special Support grant can be claimed in place of the Maintenace Grant. The difference between the Maintenance Grant and Special Support Grant is that the SSG is not considered as income when deciding entitlement to benefits whereas the Maintenance Loan

When I say that "all student finance will be considered when deciding on eligibility for benefits" I mean all student finance that is normally classed as income (ie. "normal" finance and not the Special Support Grant or Disabled Students Allowance).

I thought this had already been explained to the OP in a previous thread but, after doing a quick search, cannot find the post in which I explained it.

Hi, thanks for that info it really helps. I am gradually managing to get through my finance application. Remembering my parents reference from my bros app last year was a nightmare lol. But I got there in the end :smile:

So just to clarify at present I receive DLA and Employment support allowance. I think according to the app I will be applying for the special support allowance and DSA. My ESA is paid as currently I am considered unable to work. However I really want to try an attempt university and eventually employment. I was wondering if you knew what will happen in regards to my benefits. I think it's income based ESA although I'm not certain but I have never paid national insurance as of yet I don't think. Due to my household income I should receive the full support grant plus a university bursary scheme I think. What do you think will happen thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by add4

So just to clarify at present I receive DLA and Employment support allowance. I think according to the app I will be applying for the special support allowance and DSA. My ESA is paid as currently I am considered unable to work. However I really want to try an attempt university and eventually employment. I was wondering if you knew what will happen in regards to my benefits. I think it's income based ESA although I'm not certain but I have never paid national insurance as of yet I don't think. Due to my household income I should receive the full support grant plus a university bursary scheme I think. What do you think will happen thanks :smile:

Yes, you can apply for the Special Support Grant and Disabled Students Allowance. Neither of this will be classed as income for benefits purposes. You will also receive the university bursary if eligible.

Well in short you may be able to claim Employment and Support Allowance (and, if in rented accommodation, Housing Benefit) as a full time student providing you have a disability - ie. you are also claiming Disability Living Allowance and meet the income criteria. You should still be able to claim Disability Living Allowance (and Housing Benefit), even if you lose your ESA.

I'm afraid this is all I can really say as I am not a benefits expert, and don't know exactly why the DWP have decided you cannot work. The benefits system is also undergoing major changes at the moment which complicates things further.

If you want a more detailed answer then see the spoiler below.

Spoiler

Reply 7
Original post by River85
Yes, you can apply for the Special Support Grant and Disabled Students Allowance. Neither of this will be classed as income for benefits purposes. You will also receive the university bursary if eligible.

Well in short you may be able to claim Employment and Support Allowance (and, if in rented accommodation, Housing Benefit) as a full time student providing you have a disability - ie. you are also claiming Disability Living Allowance and meet the income criteria. You should still be able to claim Disability Living Allowance (and Housing Benefit), even if you lose your ESA.

I'm afraid this is all I can really say as I am not a benefits expert, and don't know exactly why the DWP have decided you cannot work. The benefits system is also undergoing major changes at the moment which complicates things further.

Spoiler

Thank you so much this is a great help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by River85

Spoiler

..... this is part of my problem .. I am on DLA (highest for mobility) and have never lived alone and worried about applying for DSA incase I loose my DLA claim, now any new claims will become PiP claims.. I have a chronic spinal injury (curvature & surgery which stops me carrying weights and random pain spasms) and Parralysed Vocal cords which are incurable and cause me to wear a "trachy tube" which needs medical upkeep & carrying medical equipment always with me. It may not seem a lot but a combo of breathing uses (Vocal cords not working ^) and back pain can create blocks in carrying objects (books, laptops etc) and travel can not be far walked so will either need a nearby bus or taxi... My main question is "Can you claim DSA if you are still receiving DLA? based on that description, or would I loose my DLA?" sorry for the rant x
Reply 9
Original post by Danie90
..... this is part of my problem .. I am on DLA (highest for mobility) and have never lived alone and worried about applying for DSA incase I loose my DLA claim, now any new claims will become PiP claims.. I have a chronic spinal injury (curvature & surgery which stops me carrying weights and random pain spasms) and Parralysed Vocal cords which are incurable and cause me to wear a "trachy tube" which needs medical upkeep & carrying medical equipment always with me. It may not seem a lot but a combo of breathing uses (Vocal cords not working ^) and back pain can create blocks in carrying objects (books, laptops etc) and travel can not be far walked so will either need a nearby bus or taxi... My main question is "Can you claim DSA if you are still receiving DLA? based on that description, or would I loose my DLA?" sorry for the rant x

Yes. DLA/PIP is for personal care and mobility. DSA is for additional costs that you incur through studying a course as a result of disability. They are very different.

Are you concerns because the two seem to overlap (ie. if you get money for a taxi through DSA, you'll lose). Won't there still be occasions when you will need to use a taxi for non-academic reasons? Besides, the DLA payment isn't specifically for the use of a taxi.

The Department for Work and Pensions won't even know you receive DSA, I don't think.
DLA is used to pay for day to day disability costs and have nothing to do with a DSA claim. DSA is generally equipment.

I never had a problem. In fact, DWP didn't know I'd gone to uni - as I had no change in my needs.

Quick Reply

Latest